Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    No, it happened in New Avengers Vol. 1 #14, when Hydra performs surgery on Spider-Woman to give her back her powers you can see two breast implants on the surgery tray, she also says a couple pages later that "every part of me was better than it was before. Every part.". Bendis also bragged about in an old (and now deleted) tweet that caused a bit of a stir at the time:
    I remember that. That's when Joe Q was actually trying to stir up the rivalry between Marvel and DC fans. Joe was calling DC "AOL Comics" and stuff like that. I have no doubt that Joe encouraged that statement by Bendis.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Jessica Jones was supposed to be Jessica Drew originally. I think Marvel was hesitant to include a Spider-character (even though she's never been associated to Spider-Man and hadn't been relevant for decades) in something as mature and as explicit as Alias so Bendis was forced to create an original character. Hence why he retconned her past existence in the MCU. This is why Jessica Jones was a P.I. (Jessica Drew was one during her solo series), why she had a friendship with Carol Danvers, and also why she was given the name Jessica in the first place, because all these attributes were meant to be part of his story for Jessica Drew.
    He then went on to use all of the Avengers in the book. He treated Maddie Franklin quite shabbily as well. I am thankful that he wasn’t allowed to fully butcher Jessica Drew, though.

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

I have two:

1. Jason Aaron is a mediocre, sometimes bad, writer. My latest example: Why was Valkyrie #10 put on digital release only? If the book was doing that well, they would have published it.

2. Marvel doesn't care about comics shops. My reason is related to the above, they put several books on digital release only. This benefits Marvel because they still get some money for the artists work, the comics shop gets nothing out of it, except maybe to save on overhead of paying for a book that might not sell. This might be another sign that the format is dying and only exists to keep movie properties out there.
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Oh, he was 100% a guy with a well-earned chip on his shoulder. His anger was not philosophical (only), it was about what both his racial and neighborhood brother and the racist system did to him. He was boiling with it.

Otherwise, he would have taken the Black Lightning route, adopted an alias and done good in well financed anonymity.
    He could not go the traditional route like BL or most others. He was a wanted man for a while. He could not join the Avengers or any team that could expose him.

He is not boiling at all he is pretty easy going guy for the most part. He gets along with his neighbors like DW and is not angry unless he come across something to be angry about.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolfan View Post
    I have two:

1. Jason Aaron is a mediocre, sometimes bad, writer..
    Aaron was good in the past, but he's one of those writers that eventually allowed his bad habits to get the best of him (happened to Bendis or Claremont, for example).

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Aaron was good in the past, but he's one of those writers that eventually allowed his bad habits to get the best of him (happened to Bendis or Claremont, for example).
    I have to disagree. Bendis and Claremont weren't consumed by their bad habits. People seek out their work because it's so distinctive. The problem with being distinctive is that when it falls out of style it falls hard. Claremont infuses his work with a purple prose energy. Bendis wants nothing more than to be David Mamet.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I agree with Anthony W's posts about Marvel's pettiness. It's not a good look for them especially when it's mostly one-sided.
    Last edited by Amacent; 06-18-2020 at 08:59 PM.

Riri Williams didn't deserve the hate she got as a character. Her series by Eve Ewing is underrated.

Although i'm interested in seeing how it pans out I didn't think it was necessary for the Xmen to join the MCU, I liked seeing different characters get focus put on them.
    Last edited by 9th.; 06-18-2020 at 10:30 PM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Marvel's best TV series is Agents of Shield
    It really is but AOS are never gonna get their flowers until it's too late.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    He then went on to use all of the Avengers in the book. He treated Maddie Franklin quite shabbily as well. I am thankful that he wasn’t allowed to fully butcher Jessica Drew, though.
    I'll give him this that he brought Jessica back as an A-Lister (even if she's floundered a bit since then) but yeah, I'm glad he didn't get a chance to ruin her character completely. What I'm hearing about the breast implants sounds absolutely awful. Sounds like a Quesada thing considering how misogynistic he is.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    I'll give him this that he brought Jessica back as an A-Lister (even if she's floundered a bit since then) but yeah, I'm glad he didn't get a chance to ruin her character completely. What I'm hearing about the breast implants sounds absolutely awful. Sounds like a Quesada thing considering how misogynistic he is.
    Eh, there's a certain amount borderline skeeviness in Bendis's past work. The suggestion that "classic" Avengers were all sleeping with each other...the idea that before he married Jessica Jones, Luke Cage slept with all the single white women in the superhero community...Hawkeye sleeping with amnesiac Scarlet Witch.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Riri Williams didn't deserve the hate she got as a character. Her series by Eve Ewing is underrated.

Although i'm interested in seeing how it pans out I didn't think it was necessary for the Xmen to join the MCU, I liked seeing different characters get focus put on them.
    I think Bendis’ need for credit and ignorance of black culture ultimately did Ironheart no favors. I would have defended her from all comers if she had been the already introduced mechanic prodigy niece of James Rhodes. “Riri” is right. The ten rings stuff saved it for me even if I don’t particularly like the character.

Boisterously Confused

Peter Parker should adopt a new alias, leave the Spider stuff to Miles, and be allowed to outgrow the misunderstood hard luck hero thing for good. Let his new identity evolve him in-universe to a widely acclaimed and beloved hero on the order of Captain America.

Sam Wilson shouldve remained Captain America, and as far as Im concerned they should bring him back under the mantle ASAP

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

If Marvel is gonna keep throwing Atlantis and Wakanda under the bus to cheaply raise the stakes, then I'd rather have Namor and T'Challa no longer be king of their respective nations. Let someone else take the blame for a change.

Also, I'd like the two of them to somehow reconcile with each other.