Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Results 316 to 330 of 446
  1. #316
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    25,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Wow. You are absolutely right.

    Everybody sucks Doom. It’s honestly infuriating.
    Everybody sucks Doom sounds like the name of smut fic.

  2. #317
    Spectacular Member JTHM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    197

    Default

    The current state of Marvel comics is pretty good in terms of titles and creative teams, and the fatalism that this forum and other similar comic communities show sometimes is very childish.

  3. #318
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I just canít stand Mutants and Inhumans. Being born randomly with powers never sat right with me as a concept.
    No different than real people in real life born with extraordinary abilities (not to the level of mutants, but still extraordinary)

  4. #319
    Extraordinary Member JudicatorPrime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Cosmic Shores of the Pacific
    Posts
    6,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What do you mean by ironic naming convention?
    Originally Luke Cage calling himself Power Man was a misnomer. He could only lift 3 tons, which is a little like a firefly calling itself the sun. I realize he's received a boost more recently, but for most of the character's existence he was the weakest strong man in the game. (Even with the slightly greater strength, Luke's "power" pales in comparison to guys like Hyperion, Gladiator and others. Power Man, indeed.)

    Secondly, as a man who sought freedom from the bogus charges brought against him, calling himself Cage was another irony. It's better than Lucas Chains, Lucas Shackles, or Lucas Mandatory-Sentencing I guess, but I would expect a truly forward thinking, self-determining type to take a better name than the very object that limits him.

  5. #320
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Speaking of the X-Men....the claim that X-Men are a "metaphor" for diversity, inclusivity and anti-discrimination to be a fallacy because nearly all the foundational and prominently recurring, plot-leading and team-leading characters are white.

    It was already problematic with Prof.X being white savior and Magneto as the unforgiving militant Jew....would have been far better if Prof.X was also Jewish.

    How is it that inspite of the vast array of many diverse characters, the multitude of xteams over the DECADES are still mostly white for the wider majority?

    How many non-white X-Men have been team leaders?

    I also truly believe that the x-faction (editors and writers) take a conscious effort to curtail and refute ACTUAL developments and/or progression of non-white mutants... Storm and Sunspot being prime examples; their exposure and use outside the X-Men ....and now back with the X-Men. Someone Sunspot has become a non-entity after his brilliant stint in Avengers and leading a team. Same with Storm who became wife to her first love, a queen, an avenger, joined F4 and introduced to her biological family (all thanks to BP by the way).....this was all repeatedly ridiculed (happened again in recent Marauders#13, this month) and ignored ....Storm (alongside Bishop) is now taking orders from Emma and Kitty, the two most prominent non-white mutants on the same book and none of them are the team leader.

    When will Warpath ever lead the Xforce?

    Apparently Mr White ahem Dr. Nemesis has the brain power to literally defeat a native American godly being -Adversary and trapping it in his mind meanwhile Forge (native American) apparently wasn't strong enough and/or lacked the mental capacity to defeat it.🙄🙄


    But of course whiteboy yellow fever fetishist antics are inevitable so Psylocke has a team book as leader...why not Storm, I wonder?....where are the Asian male mutants who don't have to be half-white to qualify for recurring appearances and progression?

    Rampant repeated whitewash of afro-latino characters...if line these X-writers/editors knew what Afro-latinx go through in Latin america alongside the native "Indians".

    Any male Arab X-Men?

    Bishop repeatedly neeeerfed to be overdependent on guns.

    Urgh!!

  6. #321
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    No different than real people in real life born with extraordinary abilities (not to the level of mutants, but still extraordinary)
    Because we clearly expect people born in real-life to be born with the powers of time-travel./s

    While I can accept genetic tampering, that on its own shouldn’t be enough to create the powers that they have. I know it’s comic books but still.

    What makes it jarring is the apparent lack of lineage some of their powers have. I think that’s why Pietro and Wanda’s re-retcon didn’t bother me as much.

  7. #322
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    25,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Speaking of the X-Men....the claim that X-Men are a "metaphor" for diversity, inclusivity and anti-discrimination to be a fallacy because nearly all the foundational and prominently recurring, plot-leading and team-leading characters are white.

    It was already problematic with Prof.X being white savior and Magneto as the unforgiving militant Jew....would have been far better if Prof.X was also Jewish.

    How is it that inspite of the vast array of many diverse characters, the multitude of xteams over the DECADES are still mostly white for the wider majority?

    How many non-white X-Men have been team leaders?

    I also truly believe that the x-faction (editors and writers) take a conscious effort to curtail and refute ACTUAL developments and/or progression of non-white mutants... Storm and Sunspot being prime examples; their exposure and use outside the X-Men ....and now back with the X-Men. Someone Sunspot has become a non-entity after his brilliant stint in Avengers and leading a team. Same with Storm who became wife to her first love, a queen, an avenger, joined F4 and introduced to her biological family (all thanks to BP by the way).....this was all repeatedly ridiculed (happened again in recent Marauders#13, this month) and ignored ....Storm (alongside Bishop) is now taking orders from Emma and Kitty, the two most prominent non-white mutants on the same book and none of them are the team leader.

    When will Warpath ever lead the Xforce?

    Apparently Mr White ahem Dr. Nemesis has the brain power to literally defeat a native American godly being -Adversary and trapping it in his mind meanwhile Forge (native American) apparently wasn't strong enough and/or lacked the mental capacity to defeat it.����


    But of course whiteboy yellow fever fetishist antics are inevitable so Psylocke has a team book as leader...why not Storm, I wonder?....where are the Asian male mutants who don't have to be half-white to qualify for recurring appearances and progression?

    Rampant repeated whitewash of afro-latino characters...if line these X-writers/editors knew what Afro-latinx go through in Latin america alongside the native "Indians".

    Any male Arab X-Men?

    Bishop repeatedly neeeerfed to be overdependent on guns.

    Urgh!!
    May I ask how Bishop's been nerfed? His powers were always defensive in nature.

    Also, I think they should bring back his sister Shard.

    Speaking of Psylocke, while I am glad the body swap was reversed, Kwannon has no grounds to blame Betsy seeing as how the body swap wasn't her idea.

  8. #323
    Mighty Member Anthony W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by comicboy12 View Post
    -Most Marvel's current batch of writers and artists don't know how to write good action scenes or use characters powers creatively
    They are terrible at action scenes, but let them do a scene in a coffee or pizza shop where the heroes do nothing but eat and talk and they are in their element LOL. Marvel needs to lean into what the writers are good at and make a book that takes place in a coffee or pizza shop.

    Quote Originally Posted by comicboy12 View Post
    -I think that in the next 10-15 years there's going to be a huge reduction in floppies and I'm not sure there's really much Marvel can do about it.
    I'm looking forward to it. Too many books. I think Marvel only has the talent to make thirty-five to forty books.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 10-18-2020 at 12:08 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

  9. #324
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Originally Luke Cage calling himself Power Man was a misnomer. He could only lift 3 tons, which is a little like a firefly calling itself the sun. I realize he's received a boost more recently, but for most of the character's existence he was the weakest strong man in the game. (Even with the slightly greater strength, Luke's "power" pales in comparison to guys like Hyperion, Gladiator and others. Power Man, indeed.)
    tbf Marvel power levels have massively inflated over the years.

  10. #325
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,595

    Default

    Today's news reinforces my belief that NO Marvel decision-maker has had any idea what Dr. Strange is about since Ditko left the feature.

  11. #326
    Extraordinary Member JudicatorPrime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Cosmic Shores of the Pacific
    Posts
    6,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    tbf Marvel power levels have massively inflated over the years.
    If we're being totally honest, Marvel's normal heroes tend to have as good a chance of showing feats of "how-did-they?-no-way!-that's-not-possible!!!" as anyone. Power elite or not. I'm just waiting for the issue where Aunt May arm wrestles Galactus and wins.

  12. #327
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    25,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    If we're being totally honest, Marvel's normal heroes tend to have as good a chance of showing feats of "how-did-they?-no-way!-that's-not-possible!!!" as anyone. Power elite or not. I'm just waiting for the issue where Aunt May arm wrestles Galactus and wins.
    Didn't she become a Galactus Herald in a "What If"?

  13. #328
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Didn't she become a Galactus Herald in a "What If"?
    I’m pretty sure that was a dream sequence.

    Golden Oldie

  14. #329
    IRON MAN Tony Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lower East Side
    Posts
    6,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Today's news reinforces my belief that NO Marvel decision-maker has had any idea what Dr. Strange is about since Ditko left the feature.
    What news about Dr. Strange went down today?
    " There are individuals out there who are so intent on violent engagement with me that they will go to great lengths to engineer one...including the murder of those close to me. And everything I've come to believe about myself and my so called evolution...they completely disregard. They just don't get it. They're fighting against an inevitable future, but they just don't realize I'm already there...I Am The Future.." TONY STARK

  15. #330
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    16,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    What news about Dr. Strange went down today?
    There's a rumor that a Latina actress is going to be in the Dr Strange sequel supposedly as America Chavez. Chavez doesn't have much history with Strange in the comics so it's got some people scratching their heads.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •