Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic1967 View Post

I like this idea. I wonder how Nadia would factor into this.
    Hopefully as little as possible.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    1 caveat to this. well 2.
    1. Pym Never loses in his own book. (trounces tony, reed, doom, mad thinker, T'challa whoever shows up gets handed "L"s
    2. No apologetics. (no handwringing, no regrets, just... "Its the scientific method... everything I did had an outcome. Some desired. Some unexpected, but learning... learning was the only thing that mattered"

Pav, take my money, Pav. Please. Take it. Make this happen.

Funny thing... I'm not even a Hank Pym fan... never have been, but this original take would inspire me to read up.

Thanks for the kind words! I don't know about Pym NEVER losing -- and of course, what constitutes a loss, exactly? Still, I envision the character as definitely being a step ahead of most people, definitely enigmatic and powerful beyond what he's been allowed to be throughout his history.

Actually, I imagine him playing a similar role to the character of Dr. Strangefate in the initial Amalgam run -- so powerful and knowledgeable that everyone else was essentially pawns for him to move around the table -- except utilizing science instead of magic.

I like this idea. I wonder how Nadia would factor into this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Hopefully as little as possible.
    I'm not someone who dislikes characters. Ambivalent? Sure, there are plenty I don't give much of a hoot about. But, as a writer, each character offers unlimited possibilities; each is one piece of the beautiful puzzle that is the Marvel Universe, and fitting them together in fun ways is what it's all about! So, I'm not sure what role Nadia would play, but you can bet she'd appear -- just like Raz the Giant-Man and Rita the Yellowjacket and anyone else you'd expect to see.

-----

Another Potentially Controversial Opinion:

I'd love to see an Avengers run focused on a team of characters from around the world, with leadership roles for Dr. Doom and Silver Sable (in place of Iron Man and Black Widow).

-Pav, who wonders who should be the Cap analogue...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Nadia Pym/Wasp's upbeat demeanor is incompatible with her origin. She spent her entire life in the Red Room and was raised to be an agent from birth. She should have been a much darker hero, more in line with X-23 than Janet van Dyne. I'd love to see a story with Nadia à la The Manchurian Candidate where she gets activated as a Red Room agent under brainwashing.

Betsy Braddock was better when she was trapped in the wrong body.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Nadia Pym/Wasp's upbeat demeanor is incompatible with her origin. She spent her entire life in the Red Room and was raised to be an agent from birth. She should have been a much darker hero, more in line with X-23 than Janet van Dyne. I'd love to see a story with Nadia à la The Manchurian Candidate where she gets activated as a Red Room agent under brainwashing.
    That's baby Black Widow with wings.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    That's baby Black Widow with wings.
    I think it's more like Winter Soldier.
    Wanna make somethin' of it?

I never liked that retcon that Bucky was some elite black ops super soldier. It always felt like it was trying too hard to make a silly fun character into something dark gritty and series.

(English isn't my first language)
    Miles Morales is Spider-Man
    Diversity has no affect on a story's quality
    Having two Spider-Men in 616 is okay.
    Can't get into other Marvel comics outside of Spider-Man (Recommendations would be nice, thanks in advance)
    Overall, DC>Marvel
    Deadpool is lame
    I don't get the hype for Gwenpool
    I don't care for the new Shangi chi film
    Thor movies are lame.
    Spider-Man carries the whole Marvel franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by AtheistInRed View Post
    Diversity has no affect on a story's quality
    Having two Spider-Men in 616 is okay.
    Can't get into other Marvel comics outside of Spider-Man (Recommendations would be nice, thanks in advance)
    Overall, DC>Marvel
    Deadpool is lame
    Thor movies are lame.
    Spider-Man carries the whole Marvel franchise.
    Does lack of diversity have an effect on a story’s quality?
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Neither presence nor absence of diversity have an effect on a story's quality. Unless the story is about diversity (which does not mean anything about its quality either), or it's plot-relevant for some reason, diversity or lack thereof is just trivia.

ARkadelphia Nope. I'm saying that race/sexuality doesn't change how good (or bad) a story is. (e.g. Miles, Kamala, Amadeus, Riri, Chevas, Young Avengers, and such.)
    Last edited by AtheistInRed; 06-22-2020 at 10:21 PM. Reason: a users name.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Potentially Controversial:

I'd love to write a book called "Pym" in which Hank Pym has embraced "post-human ethics" and is now much more comfortable in a somewhat sinister scientific role -- still seeing himself as a good guy of course, but increasingly willing to commit questionable acts in the name of science and progress, as well as the safety of the universe.

Ironically, his best friend would eventually be his main lackey, Eric O'Grady, as the two begin to increasingly understand the other. Obviously, other associated characters would make regular appearances, with each reacting to the new Pym in potentially surprising ways.

Yeah -- I'm sure the new team has plenty of cool characters, but I was a fan of the team because of the history/mystery surrounding the original team.

M-11 was my favorite character and he doesn't even talk! That's evidence of quality storytelling!

-Pav, who would rather the original team be used in other books in semi-antagonistic roles, kinda like Pym...

EDIT: SPIDER-CLONES ARE THE BEST LONG LIVE ALL SCARLET SPIDERS
    A second "lackey" could be Atlas. might need some muscle

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    I would say no.

It does effect the range of stories and the richness of the setting. However you could tell a very good story with little to no diversity. Not sure why you would want to do that.
    Last edited by pageturner; 06-23-2020 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I never liked that retcon that Bucky was some elite black ops super soldier. It always felt like it was trying too hard to make a silly fun character into something dark gritty and series.
    I thought it was a change that made sense. Him being a mascot that just followed a unit of soldiers made little sense. Being a kid who lied bout his age to join the army made more sense. How effective a soldier he was varies, on his own he is fine with Cap he need to be bailed out.

Quote Originally Posted by AtheistInRed View Post
    Overall, DC>Marvel
    Deadpool is lame
    Thor movies are lame.
    Yes, yes, and oh yeah!