Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Dr Strange just hasn’t been written well for so long. He’s constantly depowered or not shown at his full capabilities, and it comes across that editorial are scared and want to put some restrictions on what he can do. I’d argue having him at his full capacity would make a far more engaging read.
    Quoted in agreement.

Astonishing Member

Dr. Strange has been acting like a poor mentor to Wanda since Avengers: Disassembled and still disrespects her like in Empyre.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Marvel wants to eliminate comic book shops, and go with a digital-only and trade paperback model.

I always hated Asian Psylocke. Caucasian Psylocke is better.

Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne were the weak links of the original Avengers. I don't miss them when they aren't with the team. The MCU was right to replace them with Hawkeye and Black Widow.

I don't believe in the X-Men concept. I don't want humans replaced with mutants.
    I'd argue that Marvel is more than willing to keep riding the dead horse that is the direct sales market until the shops themselves close. Shops take their books on a non-returnable basis so Marvel has made their money once the stores have ordered the books. It doesn't matter to them if the stores actually sell them to customers or not. A lot of the gimmicks they use to goose sales/orders ( constant #1's, non-stop events, multiple variants ) probably aren't going to transfer over to a digital sales model.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'd argue that Marvel is more than willing to keep riding the dead horse that is the direct sales market until the shops themselves close. Shops take their books on a non-returnable basis so Marvel has made their money once the stores have ordered the books. It doesn't matter to them if the stores actually sell them to customers or not. A lot of the gimmicks they use to goose sales/orders ( constant #1's, non-stop events, multiple variants ) probably aren't going to transfer over to a digital sales model.
    Well said. I totally agree. Marvel would make less money if comic shops closed down.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Apollo 440's cover of the Spider-Man theme is better than the Ramones.

Characters like Emma Frost are far bigger examples of comic writer "prudishness" about sexuality than giving female characters more modest clothing.

Astonishing Member

I just can’t stand Mutants and Inhumans. Being born randomly with powers never sat right with me as a concept.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well Black Widow also has her Widow's Bite in both the comics and the movies which is not a conventional weapon. Her using pistols is actually a relatively recent development. For most of her history she didn't use them. She is also a spy in the James Bond mold which means her adventures are necessarily always grounded.

I'd say it's the Hulk who doesn't belong on the Avengers given his bad history with teams. In the original avengers he was only there for two issues before leaving. I'd have probably made his cousin a founder in place of him.
    Her being James Bond-y is why I think she doesn't fit as a main Avenger and main female Avenger. The Big Three of the Avengers are arguably bigger than Bond; they're mythological in the same way the Ancient Gods were (difference is we don't believe them to be real the way we believed the Norse and Greek Gods to be, but emotionally they push those same buttons for us). The same could be said of Batman and Superman. Which is why I don't think Black Widow can fully fill in a Wonder Woman-esque status on the Avengers, but someone like Captain Marvel can. (Admittedly The Wasp doesn't have as strong of a personality as Captain Marvel or Wonder Woman, but she has usually made up for this by being the heart of the team - Black Widow is too distanced and emotionally detached from people to be even that).

I agree the Hulk doesn't belong on the Avengers if we are talking a more serialized format like comics or a TV show. I think it works better in the movies just because the Hulk only has to show up for the Avengers films and call it a day. Banner also works as a frequent Avenger in the MCU partly due to the lack of Hank Pym. But yes in the comics and cartoons, Hulk doesn't belong as a main Avenger due to his characterization. I think the reason he doesn't fit is different from Black Widow's, though.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 09-05-2020 at 09:09 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Her being James Bond-y is why I think she doesn't fit as a main Avenger and main female Avenger. The Big Three of the Avengers are arguably bigger than Bond; they're mythological in the same way the Ancient Gods were (difference is we don't believe them to be real the way we believed the Norse and Greek Gods to be, but emotionally they push those same buttons for us). The same could be said of Batman and Superman. Which is why I don't think Black Widow can fully fill in a Wonder Woman-esque status on the Avengers, but someone like Captain Marvel can. (Admittedly The Wasp doesn't have as strong of a personality as Captain Marvel or Wonder Woman, but she has usually made up for this by being the heart of the team - Black Widow is too distanced and emotionally detached from people to be even that).

I agree the Hulk doesn't belong on the Avengers if we are talking a more serialized format like comics or a TV show. I think it works better in the movies just because the Hulk only has to show up for the Avengers films and call it a day. Banner also works as a frequent Avenger in the MCU partly due to the lack of Hank Pym. But yes in the comics and cartoons, Hulk doesn't belong as a main Avenger due to his characterization. I think the reason he doesn't fit is different from Black Widow's, though.
    The problem is that his characterization resets with each year making any character growth pointless (like every other character).

Hulk dealing with his temper would solve too many problems.

Hulk 2003's version of Thaddeus Ross is the best version of the character.

Thanks to the Spiderverse movie i have grown more fond of Miles Morales, but i still that both Miguel O'Hara and Mayday Parker are better legacy for Spider-Man than him.

Also, i know that some fans give s$%/ to Peter for keeping his secret identity, but if you read his original you would see that he has good reasons for doing that and he really couldn't trust anyone with it.
    Last edited by TheCape; 09-30-2020 at 09:32 AM.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

I mean, Miguel and Mayday are literally better legacy characters because they're set in the future. Miles is only a legacy character in the Kamala Khan sense. He is someone inspired by another superhero but is forming his own path rather than taking over Batman Beyond-style.

That's part of my point thougth, the reason for why i think that they worked better than Miles is that unlike Bendis, PAD and DeFalco put more effort in differentiated Miguel and Mayday from Peter, before Into the Spider-Verse, Miles was really too similar to Peter, while the movie was able to give him his own spin. But if you want a closer comparison, there is Wally remplacing Barry back in the 80s and they did a better job in differentiating Wally from Barry back then.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    That's part of my point thougth, the reason for why i think that they worked better than Miles is that unlike Bendis, PAD and DeFalco put more effort in differentiated Miguel and Mayday from Peter, before Into the Spider-Verse, Miles was really too similar to Peter, while the movie was able to give him his own spin. But if you want a closer comparison, there is Wally remplacing Barry back in the 80s and they did a better job in differentiating Wally from Barry back then.
    I feel like Bendis' comics did differentiate Miles from Peter enough.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Miguel and Mayday are definitely more distinct than 2011 Miles was. You are correct about that.

I think what maybe also hurts Miles compared to them is that he doesn't have as much of an established dichotomy with his mask. Peter is known for being quiet but very snarky when he puts on the mask, and Miguel is known for being snarky in his daily life but quieter when wearing the mask. I don't know if Miles' Spider-Man has anything like that established yet. I would love the sequel to ITSV to address that.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 09-30-2020 at 07:23 PM.