Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    There's a rumor that a Latina actress is going to be in the Dr Strange sequel supposedly as America Chavez. Chavez doesn't have much history with Strange in the comics so it's got some people scratching their heads.
    But America Chavez has much to do with the multiverse. I’m not saying it’s true but the movie is called Multiverse of Madness.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    What news about Dr. Strange went down today?
    I was referring to this. I cling to the original depictions mystical abilities in Dr. Strange's world as perceiving and manipulating multidimensional forces and phenomena by study and adapting one's cognitive perspective. Not as a some kind of manna pool that can be siphoned off and given to somebody else.

Ghost Spider isn’t really a good love interest for Spider-Man or Kid Arachnid.

Astonishing Member

I have to ask: what obligation does Wakanda have to help the world?

That's why I felt like the message of the movie fell a bit flat.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post

For one, it means less people like Kilmonger exist.

Dark Phoenix storyline is overrated, and I don't like it. The Last Stand improved it greatly by omitting the aliens and the cosmic stuff.

Spider-Man 2 is a fun movie, but it is also a very dumb movie.

Spider-Man: Homecoming is dumb and frustrating, Far From Home is better.

The Incredible Hulk is a better movie than Captain Marvel, and I found both to be fun and underrated MCU movies that get bashed very frequently on the internet when mentioned.

Wolverine is really cool when he's not being a jerk and a hothead, which happened way too often for my liking in older comics.

Nightcrawler and Iceman are cooler members of the X-Men.

Pre Civil War (comics) Iron Man is one of the best characters in comics. In his solo book at least.

Ultimate Human Torch is more mature and likable than his 616 counterpart.

Human Torch being married to Lyja is a better revelation than the real Alicia Masters suddenly switching love from Ben Grimm.

The version of Peter Parker presented in Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends is one of the best versions ever made of the character, and Dan Gilvezan's is still my favorite Spider-Man voice, and a very underrated actor in the role.

Reed Richards and Susan Storm Richards are the best members of the Fantastic Four in all of their iterations and team rosters.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

I don't like Hawkeye's original/classic suit!

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

They don't have any. That's actually the point of the film.

Well... 'With Great Power comes Great Responsibility' has been the backbone of the Marvel philosphy since nearly day one. So yeah... the idea that they CAN help the world in some way gives them an obligation to do it... whether you buy into that or not... is textbook Marvel.

For me... it was really the the plot itself that I didn't like in that movie. The whole idea that he had powers of the Black Panther in Civil War... then had to earn his right to be Black Panther... then Lost the right to be BP... then get the right to be BP again... It's like his powers were a light switch that they kept turning off and on again.

Pretty much my same complaint with Dark Knight Rises... or as I call it Dark Knight falls, rises, falls rises again... It's one thing to have the cahracter get 'broken' and overcome his injuries... but to start the movie with him broken, coming back, getting broken agian, and then coming back again is just a broken record.

Astonishing Member

The One Below All is a horrible concept and only serves to re-inflate the ego of an overrated character (Hulk).

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I was referring to this. I cling to the original depictions mystical abilities in Dr. Strange's world as perceiving and manipulating multidimensional forces and phenomena by study and adapting one's cognitive perspective. Not as a some kind of manna pool that can be siphoned off and given to somebody else.
    Yeah this has never made sense. You can't take away the powers of Dr. Strange because he doesn't have powers. He has knowledge and skill. It's not like taking away the Power Cosmic or negating a mutant gene, you'd have to give Strange a lobotomy.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Yeah this has never made sense. You can't take away the powers of Dr. Strange because he doesn't have powers. He has knowledge and skill. It's not like taking away the Power Cosmic or negating a mutant gene, you'd have to give Strange a lobotomy.
    They have to portray them as “powers” or else readers will question why more people in the Marvel Universe don’t try to learn more about magic and what they can do with it.

You don’t ask why Vernon Dursley can’t perform magic.

The One Below All is a horrible concept and only serves to re-inflate the ego of an overrated character (Hulk).
    Hulk has an ego? And inflated?
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Historically, his power comes from three sources, and two of them could indeed be 'taken away.' He's got a reserve of personal power, that recharges slowly, and can be depleted through overuse, or drained or blocked by external forces. He's got invocations of extradimensional forces and entities like Cytorrak, Watoomb, Ikonn, etc. which can also be blocked, or even denied by those self-same extradimensional entities (and who indeed seem to have sworn some sort of binding pact to always respond to the calls of the Sorcerer Supreme, so if the title changed hands, Cytorrak would let the name holder of the title tap his power just as readily, I'd imagine). And then he's got trained power, which resembles telepathy and telekinesis and astral projection used by mutants or other 'trained psychics' like Moondragon, Mantis or Bob the Uranian. *Those* powers should remain his, even if his personal power is drained away and his extradimensional long-distance plan is blacklisted (or rerouted to go to Blade's cellphone instead).

So, even if he 'lost his mojo,' and somebody else was wearing his Sorcerer Supreme hat, he should still have tricks similar to those used by non-mage psychics like Jean Grey or Moondragon (if not necessarily at their level, as they are pretty darn top notch at those niches...), and indeed might come across as a mystic similar to how Dr. Druid worked back in the day, with mentalism and hypnotism and levitation, but no 'Shields of the Seraphim' or 'Winds of Watoomb'.

They have to portray them as “powers” or else readers will question why more people in the Marvel Universe don’t try to learn more about magic and what they can do with it.

You don’t ask why Vernon Dursley can’t perform magic.
    Just because magic is a skill doesn't mean everyone would be able to or even want to learn it. It's like asking why everyone isn't a doctor or carpenter - some aren't cut out for it, others aren't interested.