Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 LastLast

Galactus as an essential force to the universe is ridiculous. A guy who needs to feed on planets to sustain himself needs the universe far more than it needs him.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I feel like that's mostly because he died a good decade before the other two.
    I think it is mostly because he has been treated as an unappreciated genius who was mistreated in everything he did by the dastardly Stan Lee. And this even happened when Kirby was alive and was championed by comic creators like Frank Miller.

The truth is more complicated and raising any of these creators up at the expense of the others is stupid.

Kirby was clearly the genius, but Lee's gift was reigning him in and giving him structure. The characters Kirby created after were brilliant, but most of the situations he put them in were downright silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    Kirby was clearly the genius, but Lee's gift was reigning him in and giving him structure. The characters Kirby created after were brilliant, but most of the situations he put them in were downright silly.
    I would say that they were both geniuses in their own way.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    It was a McCartney/Lennon thing.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

I hate when Marvel delves into self-referential humor too much. It comes off as though they themselves are embarrassed by their own premise.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I hate when Marvel delves into self-referential humor too much. It comes off as though they themselves are embarrassed by their own premise.
    They are embarrassed, and if the reader can sense it the whole thing doesn't work. I think this is why Cates has blown up so much. I'm not a fan of his but I can see why he has taken off. His work has an unapologetic I'm a rockstar bombast to it that Marvel hasn't seen out of a creator in a long time. If "Wizard:The Guide To Comics" was still around he would be moving up their top ten writers list LOL!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Boisterously Confused

I think it is mostly because he has been treated as an unappreciated genius who was mistreated in everything he did by the dastardly Stan Lee. And this even happened when Kirby was alive and was championed by comic creators like Frank Miller.

The truth is more complicated and raising any of these creators up at the expense of the others is stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    It was a McCartney/Lennon thing.
    It reminds me somewhat of Wolfman and Perez on DC's Teen Titans. It was lightening in a bottle that burned brightly and burned out. But then, L&K kept a fire going over several titles for quite a while.

The reverence that some people hold for Jack Kirby at the expense of Stan Lee is stupid. They (and others like Ditko) were equally important for the success of Marvel Comics.
    Kirby is held in high regards because he was a genius and was unappreciated for a long time. Although Stan Lee isn't the devil Kirby fans think he was but his importance is overblown. He was never at the same level as Kirby as a creator, very few are.

If Marvel made a comic about Rogue leaving the island and going full hero in a new city (like..Denver Colorado or any major city that isn't NYC) complete with new costume and secret identity and fully immersing her in the mainstream Marvel Universe it would become one of Marvel's highest selling books.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    Kirby is held in high regards because he was a genius and was unappreciated for a long time. Although Stan Lee isn't the devil Kirby fans think he was but his importance is overblown. He was never at the same level as Kirby as a creator, very few are.
    I mean, people tend to leave out Kirby and Ditko entirely when they talk about the creation of the Marvel Universe, so (quite frankly) neither Kirby nor Ditko get revered anywhere near enough compared to Lee.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 11-04-2020 at 02:24 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    I think they were both geniuses in their own way and both were important to the success of Marvel by bringing different and necessary things to the table. Kirby for his ideas, art and tireless work rate and Lee for his ideas, snappy dialogue and showmanship that helped expand the horizons of the company.
    Last edited by KC; 11-04-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Boisterously Confused

If Marvel made a comic about Rogue leaving the island and going full hero in a new city (like..Denver Colorado or any major city that isn't NYC) complete with new costume and secret identity and fully immersing her in the mainstream Marvel Universe it would become one of Marvel's highest selling books.
    That is indeed controversial.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    That is indeed controversial.
    Yeah, we are talking full mainstream superhero. She would have a day job and a secret identity. Really giving the whole normal life a chance. Gambit is presumed dead. The green and yellow color scheme can stay but you get a brand new costume that screams "mainstream heroic" What if I said it would outsell Captain Marvel?
    Last edited by Anthony W; 11-05-2020 at 11:32 AM.

Yeah, we are talking full mainstream superhero. She would have a day job and a secret identity. Really giving the whole normal life a chance. Gambit is presumed dead. The green and yellow color scheme can stay but you get a brand new costume that screams "mainstream heroic" What if I said it would outsell Captain Marvel?
    I would say you are being incredibly optimistic.