Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I read it when I was in my late teens, early 20's, and didn't have a problem with it .
    You're a hardier man than I

I cannot spend so much time reading so much text on a single panel, even if the art if gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Quicksilver isn't allowed to grow but should really be on of the most important characters hero or villain in the Marvel universe.

Not cause he's my favorite but because he's like this weird 6 degrees of separation character.
    Marvel speedsters are terrible. Marvel speedsters we're always terrible. Marvel speedsters will always be terrible. Quicksilver has a great name and a great look, can you imagine what DC could do with him?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Bendis is the only writer that ever got me to give a crap about Iron Man.
    Lee, Ditko, Heck, Thomas, Layton, Michelinie, and Busiek would all find your opinion highly controversial.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Bendis is the only writer that ever got me to give a crap about Iron Man.
    I'll piggy back on this and add Bendis is the only one who made me care about the Avengers and without him Marvel would NOT be anywhere near what it is now

Johnny Storm is bisexual.
    The X-Men metaphor is bad and lacks any nuance.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Marvel speedsters are terrible. Marvel speedsters we're always terrible. Marvel speedsters will always be terrible. Quicksilver has a great name and a great look, can you imagine what DC could do with him?
    Kill him off, erase him from existence or turn him evil if their recent track record is anything to go by.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Agreed.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Johnny Storm is bisexual.
    I struggle with the X-Men. Their whole goal was to protect those who were different until society achieved equal-status assimilation, which mirrored the 1960s-1970s Civil Rights goals. Most historically oppressed people in the US these days are more aimed at changing the mainstream.

It probably wasn't as bad a fit as a metaphor until the AIDS crisis, which is when the LGBTQ community decided "just don't harm us" wasn't good enough as a position. It wasn't long after that the 1992 post-Rodney King beatings seemed to move more of African-American activists in that direction as well.

So how well do the X-Men serve today? Not so sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Quicksilver isn't allowed to grow but should really be on of the most important characters hero or villain in the Marvel universe.

Not cause he's my favorite but because he's like this weird 6 degrees of separation character.
    It’s because he’s a foreigner. He’d be treated as an iconic speedster otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I'll piggy back on this and add Bendis is the only one who made me care about the Avengers and without him Marvel would NOT be anywhere near what it is now
    Wait, you don't like too much text on the page. How do you make it through a Bendis comic? Simonson was a great action writer. Bendis is terrible action writer.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 06-16-2020 at 10:04 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Mighty Member

The overall story of the X-Men isn't one of hope and acceptance. It's an unintentional parody of such ideas. Overall, it looks more like someone wanted to make a farce of it. And that's why I barely have any enthusiasm for reading the books ever since Quesada ordered a genocide.

Emo Franklin Richards is no where near a "realistic teenager trapped in the same position." He's just a power hungry douchebag and a villain in the making. The actual moody teenagers I teach pre-Pandemic are at least funny.

Hickman was absolutely wrong to scrub Santa Claus off the Omega Level Mutant list. Other than that, I absolutely agree with his list.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Lee, Ditko, Heck, Thomas, Layton, Michelinie, and Busiek would all find your opinion highly controversial.
    You know what? I'm okay with this.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Likewise. What he did with Luke Cage was a game changer.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 06-16-2020 at 11:30 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Boisterously Confused

You know what? I'm okay with this. ...
    Fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    ...Emo Franklin Richards is no where near a "realistic teenager trapped in the same position." He's just a power hungry douchebag and a villain in the making. The actual moody teenagers I teach pre-Pandemic are at least funny.
    In the M2 line, I always wanted to see a treatment where Franklin had become something like a public defender, and went oodles out of his way to avoid even touching his near-god-like powers.

Spider-Gwen is a horrible character. So is Gwen Pool. Marvel just needs to leave Gwens alone.

Miles Morales is just a less interesting Peter Parker with a black coat of paint on him.

Bendis was never more than a mediocre writer at best. Almost all of his mainstream marvel work has been horrible.

The X-men have become outright racists and more often than not are written more as supervillains than heroes these days.

The hatred for One More Day is blown way out of proportion. It's really not even that bad of a story.

Most of the time when people say Quicksilver is less interesting than DCs speedster they're just complaining about him not being as power. Quicksilver has far more personality and a more interesting backstory than any of DCs speedsters.

Captain Marvel is interesting when she's written as a hero that demands more respect than she's earned. When she's actually seriously treated like one of the top heroes, that's when she sucks.

Iceman should be straight

Legacy characters suck 99% of the time. When the purpose of the legacy character is just to stick a minority into an already established name and costume it sucks 156% of the time.

Deadpool hasn't been a good character in years. Ever since they stopped treated him like an actual dangerous psychopath.

Luke Cage is not "too cool" or "too street" for a costume.

Also on that note, Cage is actually really boring. Most of the interesting stuff was taken away from him so he could be a generic family man.

Heroes with secret identities and civilian supporting casts and always more interesting than ones that don't have these things.

Astonishing Member

Punisher should start targeting real criminals like crooked cops, crooked politicians, and corporate CEO's rather than low-level street thugs forced into a life of crime because of a system the aforementioned criminals profit from.

If you simply read the text from any Spider-Man comic and ignore the pencils, there'd be absolutely no reason to think Peter Parker was white even for a moment.

While I enjoyed Doctor Strange more, it's essentially the same film as the first Iron Man. Also, Captain Marvel was more entertaining than the both of them.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 06-16-2020 at 02:45 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Punisher should start targeting real criminals like crooked cops, crooked politicians, and corporate CEO's rather than low-level street thugs forced into a life of crime because of a system the aforementioned criminals profit from.
    Yeah, but that would be too far for Marvel's faux-progressive leanings. See how Cyclops being just slightly more proactive and aggressive than the X-men used to be triggered them so much they had to call him the new Hitler and are still angry most fans sided with him.