Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Spiderman should have keep his evolved powers.

Luke Cage made the Avengers better

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    Luke Cage made the Avengers better
    Damn straight he did.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Boisterously Confused

Once you allow for dialogue that was pretty typical for the time, Uncanny X-Men 54-65 (the first two issues being included to capture the full arc), featuring the O5, was as good as any x-run ever put to page. I wonder what might have happened they kept going awhile.

Luke Cage should always retain at least some of the anger that characterized his original title run.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Luke Cage should always retain at least some of the anger that characterized his original title run.
    if by anger you mean outrage I agree

Astonishing Member

And he certainly still had plenty during Civil War, the first story that really got me to connect with the character.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Johnny Storm is bisexual.
    The X-Men metaphor is bad and lacks any nuance.
    Comparing Malcolm X to Magneto is honestly insulting.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Spider-Gwen is a horrible character. So is Gwen Pool. Marvel just needs to leave Gwens alone.

Miles Morales is just a less interesting Peter Parker with a black coat of paint on him.

Bendis was never more than a mediocre writer at best. Almost all of his mainstream marvel work has been horrible.

The X-men have become outright racists and more often than not are written more as supervillains than heroes these days.

The hatred for One More Day is blown way out of proportion. It's really not even that bad of a story.

Most of the time when people say Quicksilver is less interesting than DCs speedster they're just complaining about him not being as power. Quicksilver has far more personality and a more interesting backstory than any of DCs speedsters.

Captain Marvel is interesting when she's written as a hero that demands more respect than she's earned. When she's actually seriously treated like one of the top heroes, that's when she sucks.

Iceman should be straight

Legacy characters suck 99% of the time. When the purpose of the legacy character is just to stick a minority into an already established name and costume it sucks 156% of the time.

Deadpool hasn't been a good character in years. Ever since they stopped treated him like an actual dangerous psychopath.

Luke Cage is not "too cool" or "too street" for a costume.

Also on that note, Cage is actually really boring. Most of the interesting stuff was taken away from him so he could be a generic family man.

Heroes with secret identities and civilian supporting casts and always more interesting than ones that don't have these things.
    I actually think being married and having a small child makes him more interesting. There's a lot the right writer could do with that.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Not disputing or fight-picking. Educate me on this.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I'll piggy back on this and add Bendis is the only one who made me care about the Avengers and without him Marvel would NOT be anywhere near what it is now
    I read a lot of Bendis' Avengers but it took the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon and the movies for me to really "get" the team and care about what they're all about, even though they went with a take that was decidedly more classic then what Bendis' approach was.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Quicksilver isn't allowed to grow but should really be on of the most important characters hero or villain in the Marvel universe.

Not cause he's my favorite but because he's like this weird 6 degrees of separation character.
    Agreed, he should be way more prevalent than he is. I'd like to see him back in the MCU as well.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Quicksilver isn't allowed to grow but should really be on of the most important characters hero or villain in the Marvel universe.

Not cause he's my favorite but because he's like this weird 6 degrees of separation character.
    He’s Marvel’s premier speedster, was the son and heir to one of Marvel’s greatest characters for over 30 years, and has been in several arcs and issues of X-Men, Avengers, and the Fantastic Four. That’s a lot of the Marvel universe covered. But sometimes I suspect that’s part of the reason why he’s not as promoted as he should be. His home is officially the Avengers office, despite their lack of interest in him. Every time the X-office uses him, it is on loan, no matter how popular he is. The Avengers office always gets first dibs.

I’d love Pietro to actually be given the love and attention he deserves. A book by Gail Simone and Pepe Larraz would be a dream. Especially if they expanded on his No Surrender abilities, as well as his mutant status.

Boisterously Confused

I think I get what you're saying, and if so, I disagree.

"Outrage" implies some violation of norms. Systemic racism is a US norm, and was in 1972 when Cage was concieved. IMO, Cage is all about the norm being unjust, leaving only room for anger.

For starters, Malcolm X wasn't going around attacking submarines and setting off global EMPs (which should have set the entire planet into complete chaos if the comics understood the implications of what they said). It paints Malcolm X as a cartoonish supervillain instead of a reasonable yet outspoken man who wanted equal rights for his people.

This comparison also goes hand in hand with comparing Xavier to Martin Luther King which is also insulting and inaccurate. King was considered pretty damn radical when he was alive. Not only was he very critical of race relations in America but he was also against capitalism and the Vietnam War.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I have to agree with this.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Malcolm X used to say (and I paraphrase) that the only reason his teachings and the teachings of Elijah Muhammad (the then leader of the Nation of Islam) were framed as teaching violence or hate for white people was because of guilt and hypocrisy. That is, white people felt guilt for all the atrocities committed to black people, but they didn't know how to confront it. So, whenever a black man like Malcolm X or Elijah Muhammad spoke about all these atrocities openly, passionately and without sugarcoating it, their reaction was to call it hate speech or say it was radical. This is how Malcolm X was painted as the violent Civil Rights activist, even though he was neither violent nor actually supported the Civil Rights movement (because he didn't support integration). The end goal of Malcolm's teachings was complete separation between black and white people, not supremacy or revenge. That is what Magneto wants.

If anything, Xavier is some kind of combination of what Lee and Kirby thought what MLK and Malcolm were about, considering he gathered a bunch of mutants in one place and taught them how to defend themselves. Not to mention the Professor X moniker (as Malcolm was sometimes referred to as Mr X) and the two-fingers-to-the-temple pose when using his telepathy powers which was Malcolm's signature habit at the time. Magneto on the other hand is just a supremacist and a terrorist.