Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Sure. Just won’t be anything that I want to read. They really are an awful couple. And Luke was so much cooler pre-Jones. He deserved to be brought into the Avengers on his own merits instead of being used as a vehicle for bendis’ pet character dominating the book. You’ll dispute this. But I will remind everyone that bendis had the Avengers personally apologize to Jessica Jones. He stole Jessica Drew’s relationship with Carol Danvers and gave it to Jones. He gave her a connection to Jean Grey. He gave her a connection to Peter Parker. He gave her a connection to SHIELD. He gave her a connection to Daredevil. He wrote a What If that made her the savior of the Avengers and Steve Rogers’ bride. He lowered Cage to make him into her hubby. But this was never about him or a black perspective being added to the Avengers. Zero of the promised activism. Luke was a property owner. But they had him buy the mansion in the most condescending paternalistic fashion possible just so they could set up Jessica Jones telling the Avengers to get out of her house. Luke deserved better.
    Jessica Jones was supposed to be Jessica Drew originally. I think Marvel was hesitant to include a Spider-character (even though she's never been associated to Spider-Man and hadn't been relevant for decades) in something as mature and as explicit as Alias so Bendis was forced to create an original character. Hence why he retconned her past existence in the MCU. This is why Jessica Jones was a P.I. (Jessica Drew was one during her solo series), why she had a friendship with Carol Danvers, and also why she was given the name Jessica in the first place, because all these attributes were meant to be part of his story for Jessica Drew.

Sue should be the leader of the Fantastic Four.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I think I get what you're saying, and if so, I disagree.

"Outrage" implies some violation of norms. Systemic racism is a US norm, and was in 1972 when Cage was concieved. IMO, Cage is all about the norm being unjust, leaving only room for anger.
    I was answering the comment that prefers Cage as an angry character. I don't think he has been angry as a rule but outraged at different injustices. Even back in his orinal solo he was not a guy with a chip on his shoulder but if someone was getting screwed over he got angry at the injustice in particular.

Sure. Just won’t be anything that I want to read. They really are an awful couple. And Luke was so much cooler pre-Jones. He deserved to be brought into the Avengers on his own merits instead of being used as a vehicle for bendis’ pet character dominating the book. You’ll dispute this. But I will remind everyone that bendis had the Avengers personally apologize to Jessica Jones. He stole Jessica Drew’s relationship with Carol Danvers and gave it to Jones. He gave her a connection to Jean Grey. He gave her a connection to Peter Parker. He gave her a connection to SHIELD. He gave her a connection to Daredevil. He wrote a What If that made her the savior of the Avengers and Steve Rogers’ bride. He lowered Cage to make him into her hubby. But this was never about him or a black perspective being added to the Avengers. Zero of the promised activism. Luke was a property owner. But they had him buy the mansion in the most condescending paternalistic fashion possible just so they could set up Jessica Jones telling the Avengers to get out of her house. Luke deserved better.

I pretty disagree with all of this except that the way he bought the mansion from Tony was dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Jessica Jones was supposed to be Jessica Drew originally. I think Marvel was hesitant to include a Spider-character (even though she's never been associated to Spider-Man and hadn't been relevant for decades) in something as mature and as explicit as Alias so Bendis was forced to create an original character. Hence why he retconned her past existence in the MCU. This is why Jessica Jones was a P.I. (Jessica Drew was one during her solo series), why she had a friendship with Carol Danvers, and also why she was given the name Jessica in the first place, because all these attributes were meant to be part of his story for Jessica Drew.
    Plus this was peak retconning of characters Sentry was not to far removed BM came a few years later. It almost became a trend.

Invincible Member

That just proves that Bendis shouldn't be the one writing Cage ( or the Avengers). David Walker's Power Man Iron Fist run with married Cage could have been better, but it wasn't bad.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Magneto didn't take on any nuance at all until 15 years after his creation. He was created as paper thin world-beater, obsessed with his own superiority. There was no reason to his attitudes until Claremont begin filling it in back in 1978 (and he did a marvelous job of it).

As to the MLK/Malcolm X comparisons: I'm not sure that's what Lee and Kirby were actually aiming at back in 1963. Lee has often said that's what they were doing, but all of the interviews I'm aware of were well after the O5 X-Men's original run, and Lee had a tendency to remember things in an ... interesting ... manner. Does anybody have a clear idea of when that MLK/Professor X v. Malcolm X/Magneto comparison began? The first time I was conscious of hearing it was during the run up to the first Fox fillm, back in 2000.
    Lee never said it until other people brought it up. The analogy doesn't even make sense if you know the history of the civil rights movement in the early 60's. Speaking further of Lee, he's admitted there were times fans asked him about doing research into the occult or old ancient texts to do Dr Strange and Stan implied that he might have read stuff when he was younger, when in fact he did no such thing. He admitted he just went along with it cuz it didn't want to disappoint those particular fans.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    I was answering the comment that prefers Cage as an angry character. I don't think he has been angry as a rule but outraged at different injustices. Even back in his orinal solo he was not a guy with a chip on his shoulder but if someone was getting screwed over he got angry at the injustice in particular.
    Oh, he was 100% a guy with a well-earned chip on his shoulder. His anger was not philosophical (only), it was about what both his racial and neighborhood brother and the racist system did to him. He was boiling with it.

Otherwise, he would have taken the Black Lightning route, adopted an alias and done good in well financed anonymity.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Lee never said it until other people brought it up. The analogy doesn't even make sense if you know the history of the civil rights movement in the early 60's. Speaking further of Lee, he's admitted there were times fans asked him about doing research into the occult or old ancient texts to do Dr Strange and Stan implied that he might have read stuff when he was younger, when in fact he did no such thing. He admitted he just went along with it cuz it didn't want to disappoint those particular fans.
    I think my favorite Stan interview was when he was talking about Hulk. He said something to the point of "What are Gamma Rays? I have no idea, I'm a comic writer, not a scientist.... I thought they sounded cool so BOOM! He was hit by 'GAAAAMA RAAAYS!!!"

I think people expect WAY too much from comic writers now days. I miss the super science of the 60's where 'rule of cool' was all that mattered and writers weren't expected to have PHDs because their fans all had PHDs...

How can it be worse than bendis’ changes? He gave her breast implants.
    What? 10 chars.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What? 10 chars.
    Indeed, WTH!? Is this legit
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Indeed, WTH!? Is this legit
    sounds like a cheesy joke about how sexy Spider-woman was in his runs. I wouldn't take it to seriously.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    sounds like a cheesy joke about how sexy Spider-woman was in his runs. I wouldn't take it to seriously.
    No, it happened in New Avengers Vol. 1 #14, when Hydra performs surgery on Spider-Woman to give her back her powers you can see two breast implants on the surgery tray, she also says a couple pages later that "every part of me was better than it was before. Every part.". Bendis also bragged about in an old (and now deleted) tweet that caused a bit of a stir at the time:

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Michael Bendis
    Spider-Woman is cooler than Wonder Woman in every way possible. Wonder Woman's got a pipply ass! she's the pipply ass of comics!! Spider-Woman has better hair, better costume, frank cho implants and a fucked up origin. Wonder Woman is a walking std farm!!
    Last edited by Alpha to Omega; 06-17-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    No, it happened in New Avengers Vol. 1 #14, when Hydra performs surgery on Spider-Woman to give her back her powers you can see two breast implants on the surgery tray, she also says a couple pages later that "every part of me was better than it was before. Every part.". Bendis also bragged about in an old (and now deleted) tweet that caused a bit of a stir at the time:
    What in the goddamn f**k??

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    what in the actual holy heaven......