Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Missing Mutant Abilities

To clarify, I'm asking if there's a power that you want to see that is underrepresented or currently non-existent?

Ex. Hydrokinesis doesn't get much play in the x-verse

There's very few mutants who specialize in manipulating gravity, off the top of my head the only one who comes to mind is Risque. And that's more of a gravity bomb

I mean I get why. There's like a dozen high level telekinetics who defy gravity as a practice

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    To clarify, I'm asking if there's a power that you want to see that is underrepresented or currently non-existent?

Of the Psi abilities, telepathy and telekinesis get the lion's share, with a lesser focus on precognition, post/retrocognition/psychometry, and astral projection. There's barely any clairvoyance / ESP / remote sensing going on.

Lots of personal teleportation and / or portal generation, few, if any, exoteleporters or 'apporters' who can teleport other stuff, but not necessarily themselves. (From those who send away or summon to them small items only, to those who can send entire people away 'to the cornfield' or similarly summon someone to them, remotely.)

Relatively few illusionists, and what there are, tend to be baddies. Ditto with empaths / emotion manipulators.

Tons of pyros, few aerokinetics (Wind Dancer and Windshear both depowered, IIRC, and Storm having 'wind control' as a small subset of her much broader weather control powerset), barely any geokinetics (Petra, some versions of Avalanche and Rictor), and, as you say, not a heck of a lot of hydrokinetics. (Water Wizard and Hydro-Man, non-mutants, but that's about it.)

Plant and animal communication/control are pretty rare (like Dryad or Nature Girl), as are shadow powers (like Dallas Gibson/Specter).

Whole power types are barely represented. Games have a 'control' role that puts one set of foes in a timeout, so that the team can concentrate on others, or 'debuffs' the entire enemy group, and characters that tend to do that sort of thing like Tempo, Whiteout and Vertigo tend to be villains. Karma's an exception, being more of a hero-side 'controller' (as was Mirage, with her fear-manifesting power), but they tend to either get sidelined fast, or have their powers swapped around to shooting zaps (bow with energy arrows, for example).

Similarly, purely 'buffing' powers are pretty rare. Fabian Cortez or Chance (from the Fallen Angels) are two examples, but they don't get much play, and are highly specific, as opposed to someone who 'buffs' others by speeding them up (like Tempo) or altering their bodies to give them claws, scaly or chitinous armor or wings (like Masque could theoretically do, if he wasn't such a putz) or just adrenalizing / painkilling the heck out of them (which Elixir or some telepaths could do).

Compared to DC, which has speedsters by the bushel, there are relatively few among the mutant community, particularly now that Velocidad is dead and Quicksilver has turned in his mutant-card. That leaves Surge, for the most part. Maybe Speed, if he's still a mutant this week (hard to say). Lots of mutants with strength, few with speed, or intelligence, or charisma, or senses. Strength seems overvalued, perhaps because it's just easier to draw dynamic strong guys than 'superhumanly popular kid' or 'has really great senses.'

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    There's very few mutants who specialize in manipulating gravity, off the top of my head the only one who comes to mind is Risque. And that's more of a gravity bomb

I mean I get why. There's like a dozen high level telekinetics who defy gravity as a practice
    Graviton: the Big Bad

Gravity

Magneto:

Polaris:

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post

Super speed.

The power to manipulate sound, they either makes things silent such as their words or movement or make normal words extremely loud like Black Bolt or a sonic clap like the hulk.

I want more earth based powers like mud or sand.

Also I'd love to more characters have the power to animate drawings to fight or do task for them, kinda like Sai from Naruto. They could also have the power to animate inanimate objects like a statue or a mannequin.
    Last edited by 9th.; 06-13-2020 at 07:54 PM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by staptik777 View Post
    Storm and Iceman do seem to play in the hydrokinesis field. Though, it's not their main ability.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Lots of personal teleportation and / or portal generation, few, if any, exoteleporters or 'apporters' who can teleport other stuff, but not necessarily themselves. (From those who send away or summon to them small items only, to those who can send entire people away 'to the cornfield' or similarly summon someone to them, remotely.)
    The ability to summon someone would be such a cool power and so incredibly powerful. Perhaps toss in a time limit to keep it a bit less obscene.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    The ability to summon someone would be such a cool power and so incredibly powerful. Perhaps toss in a time limit to keep it a bit less obscene.
    It could have all sorts of limits. You have to know the person. You have to be *related* to the person. (Still handy for, say, a Guthrie, or a Summers. "Cannonball, I choose you!") You have to have previously touched the person. They snap back after sixty seconds. They can resist with a strong enough will / mental defense. Limited range (only folks in a few miles). Only works on animals ("Badgers! Badgers everywhere!"). Etc.

Being able to apport only items you can carry and only to and from your grasp, would still be handy. "Yoink. Got your gun!" "Hey Juggernaut! This your helmet?" "You over there, behind the force field. Have this grenade..." <Boink>

Heck, I'd be amused by someone able to summon a horde of angry Bamfs.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Graviton: the Big Bad

Gravity

Magneto:

Polaris:
    Eh, two non-mutants who *do* control gravity, and two magnokinetics, whose powers are as relevant to gravity control as the power to butter toast. Seems to hold up the original premise that we don't have a ton of gravity controlling mutants.

Ideally, a starter gravitic should probably start out somewhat lower tier than Graviton or Gravity. Maybe more like Jumping Jack (that time when one of the Power Pack kids, also not mutants, had gravity powers).

Of the four fundamental forces, electromagnetism gets the most play, and even less than gravity, there's the 'weak' and 'strong' forces, that bind matter together.

A mutant who could weaken that energy could cause matter to just dissolve into free atoms, perhaps with a warm soft breeze and slight glow of released energy, while if able to strengthen that energy, could cause matter to become more durable and 'hold itself together.' "I just made this car bullet-proof, keep driving!" "I just made your skin inflexible and hard as stone, you're trapped!"

I agree with hydrokinesis not being very used, same for aerokinesis if we exclude Storm (I don't think we'll see Wind Dancer soon). Also agree with Sutekh about psionic powers that aren't straight up TP or TK. I hope that Dani gets into the empathic side of her powers so we can see a little more of that.

I would do gravity like creating gravity bubbles or floating or becoming super-heavy/strong and not make it a super OP power because at the end of the day it turns into another form of TK imo.

Outside of Dazzler we also don't have many light based powers in the X-Verse I think? If we don't consider Polaris and Magneto being able to alter the whole spectrum or the random "photon blast". Very light specific applications such as holograms, invisibility, blinding flashes and such.

Stretchy powers.

Pocket dimension powers (lots of mutant powers utilize a kind of pocket dimension, it they don’t really do anything conscious with it).

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Stretchy powers.

Pocket dimension powers (lots of mutant powers utilize a kind of pocket dimension, it they don’t really do anything conscious with it).
    You mean like having a pocket dimension where to store items and such? It could be a very interesting power.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    You mean like having a pocket dimension where to store items and such? It could be a very interesting power.
    Mostly, yeah.