Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I think that, more than anything else, is what did Kevin Spacey in. It looked like he was holding up the gay community like a shield.
    Really sceptical that the apology was the main problem...though it was a classic of its type.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Here are some stories about Ellis. Very disappointing.
    These are google search results for 'Warren Ellis grooming' which for obvious reasons are more likely to include stories about Cameron Stewart. The top results also change. For example, it's currently a Bleeding Cool piece that may not have been published when you made your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Nope. That’s really not how abuse works, but thanks for playing!
    There can be abuse between adults. But it doesn't also follow that terminology used to define a relationship between an adult and a minor stays the same involving people who began interacting as adults.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    God. The whole 'I never realized anyone thought I was famous' bit is just so fucking awful.

Ellis is too smart for this. The apology always makes me feel worse about the person than the allegations.
    Yeah, same here. This reminds me of Louis CK. Just awful.

Concerning Warren Ellis and his Excalibur run, It does put Kitty and Wisdom relationship in a new light, if it was already uncomfortable for some people before, well, now it really will be looked in a very negative light. I am not a fan of Ellis X-Work at all, he pretty much screwed over 3 of my favorite characters (Colossus, Forge, Synch) in his runs, but this is bigger than that. There are real life victims here, and Ellis has pretty much admitted to his behavior in his response. I say his career in comics is pretty much over, and probably in other mediums as well. No way Netflix continues their association after this, and whatever projects he had in the pipeline will probably be cancelled as well. As it concern his X-work, I can see Marvel wanting to distance themselves from it, so is very possible that that's it for Wisdom, as a usable character, as it was well known that he was a Warren self insert and his relationship with Kitty will be scrutinized now, and the parallels with grooming by an older man are there. I can see Marvel not wanting to a knowledge his runs anymore as well, so I can see them not reprinting again his Excalibur, Counter-X, and Astonishing X-Men runs again (not a problem with me, as I feel Warren was incredibly disrespectful to those characters).
    Last edited by Technopriest; 06-21-2020 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    Concerning Warren Ellis and his Excalibur run, It does put Kitty and Wysdom relationship in a new light, if it was already uncomfortable for some people before, well, now it really will be looked in a very negative light. I am not a fan of Ellis X-Work at all, he pretty much screwed over 3 of my favorite characters (Colossus, Forge, Synch) in his runs, but this is bigger than that. There are real life victims here, and Ellis has pretty much admitted to his behavior in his response. I say his career in comics is pretty much over, and probably in other mediums as well. No way Netflix continues their association after this, and whatever proyects he had in the pipeline will probably be cancelled as well. As it concern his X-work, I can see Marvel wanting to distance themselves from it, so is very possible that that's it for Wysdom, as a usable character, as it was well known that he was a Warren self insert and his relationship with Kitty will be scrutinized now, and the parallels with grooming by an older man are there. I can see Marvel not wanting to a knowledge his runs anymore as well, so I can see them not reprinting again his Excalibur, Counter-X, and Astonishing X-Men runs again (not a problem with me, as I feel Warren was incredibly disrespectful to those characters).
    Technically Kitty had already been in a relationship that crossed the age of consent divide (although I don't think they did anything until much later). She seems to bounce between older guys named Peter and lesbian subtext.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Technically Kitty had already been in a relationship that crossed the age of consent divide (although I don't think they did anything until much later). She seems to bounce between older guys named Peter and lesbian subtext.
    Yes, and not excusing that earlier relationship, but the one with Wisdom was worse. Piotr himself was a teenager and much less mature and more naive than Kitty was. Wisdom was always supposed to be someone at least in his mid 30s (if not older) who went after much, much younger Kitty. And the issue here is the subtext of that relationship, knowing what we know now about Ellis and how those stories read after we know the way Ellis acted. The fact that Wisdom himself is a self insert, and the author has admitted to having a crush on the character, just makes the whole thing worse than it already was.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 06-21-2020 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Really sceptical that the apology was the main problem...though it was a classic of its type.
    'People say, "the worst part about Cosby was that he was a hypocrite!" And I say, "I don't think that was the worst part. . ." To me the worst part was the raping - way up high - and the second would be the drugging. . . the third would be the scheming. Hypocrisy would be way down the line. . . I'm not expert but I think most rapists are hypocrites. You know what I mean, it's not like a lot of guys are like, "I like to rape! I know it's not a political correct thing to say but I like raping", and you go, "Well goddamn at least he's not a hypocrite."' - Norm Macdonald

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    We agree. The half naked pictures are irrelevant(to the specific case) but does skew her message of people using something to manipulate others to do things for/with/to them when she herself is using these pictures to get people to donate.The questionable part is how they say "he just dropped them and moved on"...but like I said this isn't criminal however much twitter activists try to make it so.
    She's butt-hurt that her plans to nab a millionaire failed spectacularly. She played the game to get cash/prizes & ended up getting PLAYED. WOMP-Womp-waahh.

You must be fun at parties.

Oh My, high praise from the Joker! Meh.

Well, Kenshin the vagabond's writer and artist turned to be a pedophile pictures enthusiast. Which is not only disgusting, illegal and about as wrong as something can be but also a damn disappointment considering that is one of my favorite manga.

I still have the books and don't plan on burning them though lol. I don't know, when i read something i rarely think of the author. I never stopped reading Lovecraft despite his well-known racism nor Celine who was about as antisemitic as one can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Well, Kenshin the vagabond's writer and artist turned to be a pedophile pictures enthusiast. Which is not only disgusting, illegal and about as wrong as something can be but also a damn disappointment considering that is one of my favorite manga.

I still have the books and don't plan on burning them though lol. I don't know, when i read something i rarely think of the author. I never stopped reading Lovecraft despite his well-known racism nor Celine who was about as antisemitic as one can be.
    Doesn't a lot of Japanese manga oversexualize children and people we'd consider in the U.S. to be minors? Some of that is pretty unsavory imo.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Doesn't a lot of Japanese manga oversexualize children and people we'd consider in the U.S. to be minors? Some of that is pretty unsavory imo.
    Some do. Part of that is due to the national age of consent being lower in Japan (although most prefectures have stricter laws putting age of consent higher than the national standard). But in any event there is a big legal difference between drawings and pictures.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Oh that's definitely a thing. I mean, to have an underage character having their underwear exposed or some weird **** like that is extremely common.

Most of the time as comedy but still, that's indeed something i really could do without.

I guess some people would say that it's a cultural thing but personnaly i wouldn't call trying to arouse more or less young men with kids "culture".
    Last edited by Starter Set; 06-22-2020 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I'm beginning to believe everyone has some skeletons in their closet. Social media is making it harder and harder to conceal those skeletons. This is doubly true for creative people who are pretty much required to be on social media nowadays. The longer people talk the more likely it is that their skeletons are going to come out. This isn't like the old days were everything a creative said was filtered through several layers of PR representation. Sometimes I feel that social media removing those filters was a bad thing as far as civility goes. But then I question whether a skeleton hidden in the shadows is worse than one crawling around in broad daylight.
    Its worse if its hidden deliberately, because then a person knows and believes what they are doing is wrong. At least the one's who are open about their politics, sexual preferences, whatever are being authentic and putting it out there for the world to see.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.