Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Se7en is kinda easy because Spacey plays a piece of ****. I also find actor in film less problematic than director. Especially when the other people involved are good people and the work is top notch. Se7en is a Fincher movie, not a Spacey movie.

Anyway, Warren Ellis...

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Se7en is kinda easy because Spacey plays a piece of ****. I also find actor in film less problematic than director. Especially when the other people involved are good people and the work is top notch. Se7en is a Fincher movie, not a Spacey movie.

Anyway, Warren Ellis...
    Although one has to be a little careful with current films - some actors get a percentage, so every ticket sold is money in their pocket. I'm not aware of any actors who can command residuals from rentals or dvd sales, but there might be a corner case or two out there.

For television it's different, of course. Every view has a chance to support the show, keeping the actor employed and enabling them to command more money on future contracts.

I presume the same works with TV writers and showrunners.

With authors, they keep making money off of every sale until they die, and the family makes money for decades to comes after they die.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Right. Spacey isn’t getting any money from my used Criterion copy of Se7en from 20 years ago, or whatever, so I feel comfortable in this instance. (I tend to buy used media, so I’m usually supporting a local business only.)

But that is a valid point to mention. Authors especially.

Musicians are a tough one. I mean, I’ve been supporting heroin habits since I was 13, so where’s the line?

Se7en is a good example of part of the show vs being the show

If an actor turns out to be terrible, but they're part of ensemble cast I will never hold it against the work. Whereas if a show is primarily or solely focused on someone awful, then I can hold it against the work.

I'm not going to stop watching Harvey Weinstein produced movies, but I will stop watching the Cosby Show.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Boisterously Confused

Yikes! I hadn't even thought about the ensemble angle.

Does Robin Wright deserve to have her royalties cut because Spacey was a creep? On the other side of it, should the Rice Burroughs estate benefit from works that so promote white supremacy?

It's a hell of a mess.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I think I was banned for praising Ethan Van Sciver this weekend... had no idea about the guy, read up about him, yeah, really dislike EVS personality. Some time ago I discovered a lot of movies I like were directed by Polanski and read up about him as well. Disturbing. Won't even begin to go through my Dvd collection. It estimately is 90% Weinstein
    I knew about Van Sciver but I didn't know about Polanski. Funnily enough I only found out right after I watched The Pianist and went to the IMDB boards. The Cosby Show is a hard one for me because I grew up on that show.

Anyway, Warren Ellis...
    Kevin Spacey was one of my favorite actors and I like Bryan Singer as a director. Too bad about them.

What did Warren Ellis do?

I'm surprised no one mentioned Dave Sim.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post

Kevin Spacey was one of my favorite actors and I like Bryan Singer as a director. Too bad about them.

What did Warren Ellis do?

I'm surprised no one mentioned Dave Sim.
    While I get the feeling that I haven't seen everything that is out there, the "Cliff's Notes..." seems to be ...

Might have been an "Age" component, but nothing that was outright illegal that I caught.

Whole thing still seems a bit light on details.

Edit: Edited to reflect that it might not have been what I believed it to be pointing towards.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 06-16-2020 at 11:31 PM.

One that always seemed like it should bug me, but for some reason never has...

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...d=94216&page=1

Screamin' Jay's Illegitimate Family Reunion
    With bones up his nose, a vampire cape, and a cigarette-smoking toy skull named "Henry," Screamin' Jay Hawkins put the cool in ghoul.

Now, the legendary blues man and womanizer is being celebrated posthumously in a way only he could have appreciated: His illegitimate children — and he claimed to have more than 50 of them — are getting together to throw him a party.

Call it the Screamin' Jay Hawkins Illegitimate Family Reunion. At least 12 of his offspring are coming to Los Angeles — making pilgrimages from as far away as Paris, Cleveland and Honolulu — to celebrate the bizarre showman Feb. 12 at L.A.'s House of Blues.

And here is another case, that I think hits close for a lot of us: Cameron Stewart.

One thing that I want to emphasise from the CBR article:

Former convention organizer Andrea Demonakos tweeted that in the Toronto comics community, where Stewart is based, "it was widely known that Cameron Stewart was a predator, and he’d basically been chased out of town after pissing off too many people. I’ve warned women away from him, multiple times." Demonakos added that prior to Maï's tweets, she had not heard about his alleged predation of underage girls.
    These kinds of behaviour are seldom unknown. There has always been whisper networks that warns against predators or abusers, and there is hardly ever only a single victim to these people. But it's the nature of whisper networks that not everyone hears from them that need to, and the whisper networks are centered around not making a fuss or any waves. They also cannot intervene early enough that a "developing predator" is made to change their behaviour.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Right. Spacey isn’t getting any money from my used Criterion copy of Se7en from 20 years ago, or whatever, so I feel comfortable in this instance. (I tend to buy used media, so I’m usually supporting a local business only.)

But that is a valid point to mention. Authors especially.

Musicians are a tough one. I mean, I’ve been supporting heroin habits since I was 13, so where’s the line?
    Drug habits at least tend more towards self destruction as opposed to victimization.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Anyway, Warren Ellis...

In regard to Spacey, I'll still watch Se7en, American Beauty, LA Confidential, and Horrible Bosses (The first one, not the horrid sequel) without any problem. They're excellent films and have solid performances.

As for Warren Ellis, he was in a dick in relationships, but didn't do anything criminal. We'll see if more comes to light, but the attacks on him so far are ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    In regard to Spacey, I'll still watch Se7en, American Beauty, LA Confidential, and Horrible Bosses (The first one, not the horrid sequel) without any problem. They're excellent films and have solid performances.

As for Warren Ellis, he was in a dick in relationships, but didn't do anything criminal. We'll see if more comes to light, but the attacks on him so far are ridiculous.
    I will still usually put other stuff on hold to sit through The Usual Suspects every fifth or sixth time I happen across it, and Spacey and Stephen Baldwin are in that film.

Fantastic Member

Warren Ellis had sex with women who were attracted to him as an artist and he took advantage of that...that is not criminal. While I think this is manipulative and morally questionable its a common thing that goes on with some of celebrity man or women. His main detractor (Katie West) was trying to shed light on not necessarily Ellis but the culture of celebrity and how people use that to their advantage; her messaging is deafened as she has half naked pictures of her self on her front page....I am confused.

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    Warren Ellis had sex with women who were attracted to him as an artist and he took advantage of that...that is not criminal. While I think this is manipulative and morally questionable its a common thing that goes on with some of celebrity man or women. His main detractor (Katie West) was trying to shed light on not necessarily Ellis but the culture of celebrity and how people use that to their advantage; her messaging is deafened as she has half naked pictures of her self on her front page....I am confused.

Whether she has half-naked pictures of herself on her front-page is irrelevant (The girl who went on one date with Cameron Stewart at 16yrs old has an OnlyFans, but that's also irrelevant).

How is Ellis dating women who were attracted to him as an artist morally questionable? Before ever considering to date a woman, is he supposed to ask, "Wait!!!! I cannot consider dating you unless the only reason you find me attractive is because of my physical appearance and personality. If it has anything to do with my occupation, then I cannot, by any respectable moral standard, consider dating you!"

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Whether she has half-naked pictures of herself on her front-page is irrelevant (The girl who went on one date with Cameron Stewart at 16yrs old has an OnlyFans, but that's also irrelevant).

How is Ellis dating women who were attracted to him as an artist morally questionable? Before ever considering to date a woman, is he supposed to ask, "Wait!!!! I cannot consider dating you unless the only reason you find me attractive is because of my physical appearance and personality. If it has anything to do with my occupation, then I cannot, by any respectable moral standard, consider dating you!"
    We agree. The half naked pictures are irrelevant(to the specific case) but does skew her message of people using something to manipulate others to do things for/with/to them when she herself is using these pictures to get people to donate.The questionable part is how they say "he just dropped them and moved on"...but like I said this isn't criminal however much twitter activists try to make it so.