Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    I know this sounds like I am being a dick but I genuinely, sincerely have never liked any Al Pacino performances. Even in his most acclaimed roles I found him to be kind of obnoxious - mediocre at best... I think he is out right atrocious in Scent of a Woman. But I think his performance in Scarface is probably the worst (not including his later roles where he isn't even trying). No wait... His acting in Heat is worse than Scarface. I cannot fathom how anyone likes that movie, it is a cringey so-bad-it-is-good film, surely.
    I think I only liked him in Frankie and Johnny.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

My takeaway from this thread is that awards are basically BS.
    It could be confirmation bias though.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    My takeaway from this thread is that awards are basically BS.
    It could be confirmation bias though.
    Still, most actors would beat a squirel to death with a giant shoe for an oscar i would bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Still, most actors would beat a squirrel to death with a giant shoe for an oscar i would bet.
    Oi!

Denzel Washington for Training Day. Oscar's are white people fantasies and that was the year they decided to toss a bone to the black people. He has so many way better performances, in way better movies than that. Its insulting that he won for that!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Let's talk Oscars. There are about 7000 people who can vote on the Oscars. Not all do. The winner gets the most votes cast. That means a winner could just get 1 more vote than any other nominee. We never know the results. So saying the Academy picked so and so because is foolish. The Best Picture is done now with preferential voting. So the film that gets the most first ballot votes can easily not make it to the final vote. It's a small group of people with great PR. And who they pick does not have a meaning.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

The Oscars would frankly be better served waiting two or three years, and having some kind of critter is for figuring what movie from the year in question has *at least* enough staying power to last that long.

Similarly, there’s been quite a few times where they should probably have some system for multiple winners in acting categories, so that they don’t feel they owe anyone.

...And in general, most “award-bait” films and performances are just as banal or exciting as big blockbuster mainstream hits - they just cater to a different, generally more stodgy and morose audience.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Let's talk Oscars. There are about 7000 people who can vote on the Oscars. Not all do. The winner gets the most votes cast. That means a winner could just get 1 more vote than any other nominee. We never know the results. So saying the Academy picked so and so because is foolish. The Best Picture is done now with preferential voting. So the film that gets the most first ballot votes can easily not make it to the final vote. It's a small group of people with great PR. And who they pick does not have a meaning.
    How does preferential voting work?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    How does preferential voting work?
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ra...hocker-1189677
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
    Chill. 10char

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I thought Joaquin Phoenix role in Joker was hammy. It's very difficult to portray someone with a mental illness or disability in a film without making it seem like an exploitative caricature. Case in point Billy Bob Thorton who got best actor nominations for playing mentally disabled characters in A Simple Plan and Sling Blade.

I never thought I would say this, but I thought Sandler deserved Best Actor for Uncut Gems.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 06-22-2020 at 06:44 PM.

Astonishing Member

This beat Pink Floyd's 'The Wall'

Oh ok, cool. I actually favor that system, it seems more fair because it recognizes when people are torn between voting for multiple films.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I thought Joaquin Phoenix role in Joker was hammy. It's very difficult to portray someone with a mental illness or disability in a film without making it seem like an exploitative caricature. Case in point Billy Bob Thorton who got best actor nominations for playing mentally disabled characters in A Simple Plan and Sling Blade.

I never thought I would say this, but I thought Sandler deserved Best Actor for Uncut Gems.
    Part of Arthur Fleck's personality was to be hammy. It was a coping mechanism, probably intended to be partly due to his PBA. I'm not saying you are wrong, mind you, but thats how I saw some of the more hammy stuff as working.

Looking forward to watching uncut gems sometime. Sandler can be a really good actor, he just tends to choose roles that don't spotlight it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Oh ok, cool. I actually favor that system, it seems more fair because it recognizes when people are torn between voting for multiple films.
    Sure, it might well be. But it shows that the idea that "Hollywood decided that..." is nonsense.