BANNED

Default The Expression: "It's up there".

Whenever I like to casually spring up a nice little chat with someone about who or what is the best person, work, or thing of all time, I try to state that my most favorite is the best one of them and the other person denies or disagrees with me that it's the best one of all time, but he also adds that "but it's up there".

What do you guys think it means when someone says that something isn't the best, but "it's up there".

What does "it's up there" mean exactly?

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Well, it means that who or whatever it is that you're referring to is high up on a metaphorical list.

The Canadian rock group Rush are my third favourite group of all time. I don't rank them as high as either Led Zeppelin or Yes but I still rate them extremely highly, Hence, they are 'up there'.

It's an allusion to greatness and loftiness.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Well, it means that who or whatever it is that you're referring to is high up on a metaphorical list.

The Canadian rock group Rush are my third favourite group of all time. I don't rank them as high as either Led Zeppelin or Yes but I still rate them extremely highly, Hence, they are 'up there'.

It's an allusion to greatness and loftiness.
    Thanks for the answer, but I was specifically wondering if "it's up there" means that "it's not the absolute best, but it's pretty damn close." or that "it's only one of the best, not THE best".

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Sniper View Post
    Thanks for the answer, but I was specifically wondering if "it's up there" means that "it's not the absolute best, but it's pretty damn close." or that "it's only one of the best, not THE best".
    Ah right, okay then. From the two examples you've given there I'd be tempted to opt for the first one.

Best is always a subjective term so I'd describe it as 'Not my personal favourite but very close to it'.

BANNED

Ah right, okay then. From the two examples you've given there I'd be tempted to opt for the first one.

Best is always a subjective term so I'd describe it as 'Not my personal favourite but very close to it'.
    Ahh... thanks for the clarification.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Right. Not numero uno, but definitely on the short list.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Ladytae

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Sniper View Post
    Whenever I like to casually spring up a nice little chat with someone about who or what is the best person, work, or thing of all time, I try to state that my most favorite is the best one of them and the other person denies or disagrees with me that it's the best one of all time, but he also adds that "but it's up there".

What do you guys think it means when someone says that something isn't the best, but "it's up there".

What does "it's up there" mean exactly?
    I believe I have the answer. So sometimes if I’m in a disagreement or a misunderstanding just occurred and we came to some resolve (or didn’t) I’d say “it’s up there”. In the sense of a simple disagreement, like yours, it would basically mean agreeing to disagree. No arguing or “it is what it is”. If I’m having a misunderstanding with a friend and I’m just either looking to drop the subject or we come to some understanding (and it’s like “don’t worry about it”) I’ll use “it’s up there”. Hope that makes sense.