Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Men on the Island

What do you guys think? I do think the Amazons themselves should be okay with Steve coming on the island but others they question. I say that since in most cases with Steve he proves himself

Men on the island of Themyscira is fine. Men in the city of Amazons, no. Soon as they enter city limits, they begin to turn into animals.

Steve's really the only one I've thought should have some form of access to the island (though not unrestricted), sort of as an unofficial ambassador of Man's World to the island in a reverse/paralleling of Diana's role.

JL members would only really be there if there was some emergency that required something from the island and they'd have to be accompanied/vouched for by Diana.

A lot of this comes down to worldbuilding (and story) decisions by writers, but here is how I'd do it.

(a) Steve Trevor ending up on the island would clearly be an omen and a miracle. The immediate action is to send him back to Man's World together with their envoy, but after that the Amazons have a discussion about how to handle any future men on the island, or men wanting to visit

(b) put that discussion on-camera. Not all of it, but at least some of the main points, and with a grounding in history, sociology, and philosophy. No matter what final decision is taken, that should help a lot in establishing Themyscira and how it functions

(c) the policy that I—and this is my personal view right now—would give Themyscira would be:

(1) Themyscira is a society for women only.

(2) Men who, through no fault of their own, ends up on the island are sent to a specific gateway (call it Hospitality Island) as soon as possible (medical emergencies are dealt with first), and they build up routines or channels to return these men as soon as possible

(3) The Amazons also know they might need to receive return envoys, scholars, or messengers, that might be men. They'd have a limited number of spots on Hospitality Island for such, all time-limited
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Is that old ban of men on the island ending Amazon immortality still a thing?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I've always preferred the 2009 animated movie's idea that the Amazons had men in their ranks. The only reason why there have been no men on the island before Steve arrived was due to the simple fact that their men were killed and no new men had found their way to the island. Until Steve, obviously.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

No the whole Amazons losing their immortality is no longer a thing. I honestly go back and forth. That the amazons dislike men but men not coming to the Island is also to protect them. That Ares did this. Any man on the Island will turn into wild beasts. With Steve, a feeling like he should be the expectation. I mean with the JL they will turn into wild beast but not Steve. The only other rule maybe if a Amazon had a baby boy since he is her own blood.

Yeah, it is hard to say. Sometimes it seems like it would be/could be a good thing for men to come onto the island, but at others, not a good idea.

I think it should be why they are on the Island. Like if JL needs something by the Amazons.

Steve is the first man to set foot on the island.

kjn has some great thoughts regarding how the Amazons should approach male visitors after Diana reveals herself and the existence of the Amazon’s to Patriarch’s World. I really want to see those plot points and storylines play out in Amazon society and culture as a part of Wonder world-building and drama.

The title needs a good subplot or two to play out in parallel with whatever is happening to Diana.

To add to that, I'm thinking of one of the many dropped balls in Morrison's Earth One, namely that when Diana is asked about how the Amazons view towards trans women, and how weaksauce Diana's answer was in context. Since the Amazon backstory very much is a secret history of pieces of Greek mythology, why not lean into that?

Do Achilles as told by the Amazons, not by Homer. Nereid is either an Amazon or a friend of the Amazons. Have Achilles be a trans woman, taking the name Pyrrha, and living as a woman on Skyros.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

While I'm against men on the Island, I think admitting some superhuman males into the Wonder Woman Family is long past-due. If not Prince Jason, son of Earth-52's blond Hippolyta, then, Achilles of the Gargareans ..or Diana's immortal cousin, Virbius Rex of Latium. As we see more 'Wonder Boy' cosplays, I think it's clear that boys want a place int he Wonder clubhouse ..and a character representing them, in some big way, in the Wonder-mythos.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-16-2020 at 03:01 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I’m all about Achilles Warkiller being a part of the book more regularly, as well as admitting a Wonder Boy to the club.

I have one specific idea of how to add a Wonder Boy to the title, but I haven’t got all the kinks worked out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I have one specific idea of how to add a Wonder Boy to the title, but I haven’t got all the kinks worked out yet.
    No, no, no, you have it backwards! We need to work the kink back in to Wonder Woman!

I feel like the Amazons should be against outsiders in general, not specifically men. I also feel like they are intelligent enough to relax if the Justice League or the Teen Titans show up. I don't really see an need for men to be on the island if the amazons are immortal or if its not for a humanitarian reason like refuges. If men on the island is anything like it would be in the past then, I don't want it.

I think the best idea of a Wonder boy is just let Steve and Diana have at it without protection and let them have a son, along side Jon and Damian. Have it in a pocket dimension where time moves differently so he can get to their age quickly or something. But, that's for a different thread.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor