Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Only characters on that cover yet to turn up in Spencer’s run is Sandman and Morlun. Wonder if Spencer has plans for them somewhere?
    Sandman was last seen in Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man where he was kind of dead in human form, and he was actually a good guy. If Spencer uses him, I hope he remembers that fact!

As for Morlun, if it's not a Spider-Verse story, I'd be curious to see them face off again.

BANNED

We are forgetting Doctor Octopus.

He's eventually gonna have to return to his usual brand of terrorism and mass murder and plots to bomb New York soon.

Morlun lookin' like Morbius with the fitted.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

He's eventually gonna have to return to his usual brand of terrorism and mass murder and plots to bomb New York soon.
    I certainly hope not. What a waste of character development that would be. *yuck*
    Last edited by Celgress; 06-15-2020 at 03:52 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I don't know if every villain is going to appear in the issue, it seems like a big "fit in as many major villains as possible" with some that are actually plot-relevant to Spencer's run. Of course there's more then one story, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Sandman was last seen in Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man where he was kind of dead in human form, and he was actually a good guy. If Spencer uses him, I hope he remembers that fact!

As for Morlun, if it's not a Spider-Verse story, I'd be curious to see them face off again.
    I feel like he's made a random appearance after that issue but I might just be thinking of something else.

I feel like they set up Doc Ock the villain again to play out in Spencer's run but that hasn't seemed to happen yet. Kinda wonder what's going on there.

Can't go wrong with some Norman Osborn feuding. I'm feeling like the teasers are indeed spelling out that the memory is intact which imo is as it should be. All the post OMD Norman stories felt wrong to me because it felt like there was something missing/holding back any confrontation with Norman with the mindwipe in place.

It robs a certain amount of progression and weight that the characters confrontations had because of how personal they were. While stories like New Ways To Die, American Son, or the Slott Goblin stories are fine it never felt right to me having Norman being in the dark so much and Peter being his usual "Norman is the most dangerous foe ever" self even though he wasn't even remembering the big edge he's had over Peter before any other villain. Just doesn't feel right to me when there's that personal element missing to their confrontations on both ends.

The Red Goblin story finally felt like it corrected that and even when it was reverted by the end of the story it didn't feel like as much as a copout as the BND mindwipe does because Norman thinking he's Cletus obviously is something that doesn't feel permanent. It fixes it in the current but acts like a ticking bomb with its own levels of drama and interesting possibilities because it's "how long til he remembers/ becomes himself again?" or "what will he do if he thinks he's Cletus Kassidy" that was explored satisfactorily in Absolute Carnage. Bring on Norman again!

Interesting that this is all happening around the Kindred/Sin-Eater stuff.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Can't go wrong with some Norman Osborn feuding. I'm feeling like the teasers are indeed spelling out that the memory is intact which imo is as it should be. All the post OMD Norman stories felt wrong to me because it felt like there was something missing/holding back any confrontation with Norman with the mindwipe in place.

It robs a certain amount of progression and weight that the characters confrontations had because of how personal they were. While stories like New Ways To Die, American Son, or the Slott Goblin stories are fine it never felt right to me having Norman being in the dark so much and Peter being his usual "Norman is the most dangerous foe ever" self even though he wasn't even remembering the big edge he's had over Peter before any other villain. Just doesn't feel right to me when there's that personal element missing to their confrontations on both ends.

The Red Goblin story finally felt like it corrected that and even when it was reverted by the end of the story it didn't feel like as much as a copout as the BND mindwipe does because Norman thinking he's Cletus obviously is something that doesn't feel permanent. It fixes it in the current but acts like a ticking bomb with its own levels of drama and interesting possibilities because it's "how long til he remembers/ becomes himself again?" or "what will he do if he thinks he's Cletus Kassidy" that was explored satisfactorily in Absolute Carnage. Bring on Norman again!

Interesting that this is all happening around the Kindred/Sin-Eater stuff.
    Mindwiping Norman's memory was a good idea in theory in that it could have returned the character to who he was in the Lee-Romita era (where Peter knew who Norman was, but not vice versa). But they never really explored all the possibilities with that.

Mostly because Norman became a Marvel-wide villain in those years and as such had little involvement in Peter's life.

Fact:

Marvel villains with most appearances in 616 Continuity (all titles):
    1) Doctor Doom - 835 Appearances
    2) Magneto - 816 Appearances.
    3) Green Goblin 597 Appearances

Based on: (https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Marvel_Database)

And circa October 2019.
    huh never knew that good for him
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    huh never knew that good for him
    It's really impressive that Norman got there since he was dead for 20 real-time years but he made up for it in record time.

It's fitting that Marvel's three biggest comics historically speaing (Fantastic Four, X-Men, Spider-Man) number the top 3 enemies of the entire universe overall.

Of the lot, Doom and Norman Osborn owe it to the fact that both featured heavily in Marvel-wide stories. Magneto benefitted by his ubiquity to the X-Men books (sure he made appearances in Marvel-wide stories and events but not as extensively) and the proliferaton of X-Men books.

Mindwiping Norman's memory was a good idea in theory in that it could have returned the character to who he was in the Lee-Romita era (where Peter knew who Norman was, but not vice versa). But they never really explored all the possibilities with that.

Mostly because Norman became a Marvel-wide villain in those years and as such had little involvement in Peter's life.
    In theory, sure- but at that point he was on loan to the rest of the Marvel U and any appearance in the Spidey titles wasn't gonna do anything really important cause the big stuff was being saved for what Bendis wanted to do. The big end payoff in Siege for Spidey was pretty weak, but at least it was something I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    In theory, sure- but at that point he was on loan to the rest of the Marvel U and any appearance in the Spidey titles wasn't gonna do anything really important cause the big stuff was being saved for what Bendis wanted to do. The big end payoff in Siege for Spidey was pretty weak, but at least it was something I guess.
    It was frustrating that Hawkeye ended up being more of an arch enemy for Norman during that time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know if every villain is going to appear in the issue, it seems like a big "fit in as many major villains as possible" with some that are actually plot-relevant to Spencer's run. Of course there's more then one story, so...

I feel like he's made a random appearance after that issue but I might just be thinking of something else.

I feel like they set up Doc Ock the villain again to play out in Spencer's run but that hasn't seemed to happen yet. Kinda wonder what's going on there.
    Otto will be back soon enough. The Kindred/Norman stories are big, so when they are over, I bet Spencer takes a bit of a breather, before the next arc which could very well be Otto.

iMan 42s

Otto reverting to villainy for vague reasons for the purpose of nostalgia wank is a bad idea. It sucked with sandman, didn't work with Venom, and Superior was the most successful the character has been (and most relevant) in a long time. Fully abandoning it is a bad idea.

Have him return but incorporate the characterization from Superior. Have him build a rivalry with Norman since really that's where his hate is.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Otto reverting to villainy for vague reasons for the purpose of nostalgia wank is a bad idea....
    It sure is. Co-signed for truth.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Otto reverting to villainy for vague reasons for the purpose of nostalgia wank is a bad idea. It sucked with sandman, didn't work with Venom, and Superior was the most successful the character has been (and most relevant) in a long time. Fully abandoning it is a bad idea.

Have him return but incorporate the characterization from Superior. Have him build a rivalry with Norman since really that's where his hate is.
    Otto teaming up with Peter against Norm would be an interesting idea. I have always liked Otto ( the only rogues gallery character I prefer is Lizard). There is one thing I love in fiction and that is character growth and what I hate in fiction is character regression or stagnation ( that is why I detest the cover of BND so much: It is visual evidence of Pete regressing into a man-child). Maybe Otto growing into a Frank Castle type anti-hero might work?