Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Strange Adventures

I didn't see a post about this title.

So, at the moment, I think Alanna did it, except the question is, what exactly, and why.

Any ideas?

An excellent issue. We have yet to see what this supposed war crime is that Adam Strange has committed. One thing I was not expecting from this book (but am very pleasantly surprised) is a great Mr. Terrific story! This whole series could be as much about him investigating the incident as it is about Strange himself.

Incredible Member

First - hats off to Gerads and the rest of the art team. Very good looking book and smooth flow of panels which carries the story well.

Thought it was a great issue, though one can argue the plot technically didn't move "forward". Has some of the features of a Tom King book but nothing that rubs me the wrong way.

Loved the showing of Mr. Terrific. Thought King's choice of storytelling - with the jeopardy style questions from the sphere's and showcasing his other talents through activities in his daily life were fantastic. Just based on this issue, I want a (grounded) Mr. Terrific maxi-series and I wouldn't mind this creative team doing it. Think King excels in telling stories about characters that have less "baggage" behind them as against others (looking at you Bats).

As to the story itself, not sure where Holt got his conclusion from that [X] wasn't dead. May need to re-read the issue again. It's possible as the dedication used the word "lost" as against "died". Maybe that's the motive for the murder in issue one? Sure we'll find out more. I personally don't mind entertwining stories but think that may bother some.

All in all, think this would be a good story at the end along the likes of Vision, Sheriff of Babylon and Mister Miracle (to an extent).

Oh and the final question by the T-Sphere...damn.
    Last edited by Mr. White; 06-18-2020 at 04:24 AM.

Astonishing Member

It often happened before with Terrifiс that they spoke about his highest intellect, but at the same time they loved to push him back somewhere, in favor of other, more popular characters.
    I am very glad that here, on the contrary, he's shown as he should. Great work on the character so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Thought it was a great issue, though one can argue the plot technically didn't move "forward". Has some of the features of a Tom King book but nothing that rubs me the wron
    This one clearly will be leisurely paced, but that seems a bug rather than a feature. Watching it unspool is really engrossing, at least so far.

And good lord that art - just amazing.
    Cheers - CL

Read the first two issues, they were pretty great! I was waiting to see what the twist on this would be, since King said he wanted to kinda break away from what he had already been doing with Mr. Miracle and Vision. Looks like the “twist” this time is that the atom King insert (Strange) isn’t going to be quite the good guy he portrays himself as. King’s mention of colonialism, and Mr. Terrific talking about how he doesn’t get the same amount of respect as Adam even though he’s saved the world just as much definitely has me curious to see where he’s going with this. I like Mr. Terrific in this so far, even if him just reciting trivia is kind of a eye rolling attempt at portraying his intellect. That last question from the T-sphere was brutal though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Read the first two issues, they were pretty great! I was waiting to see what the twist on this would be, since King said he wanted to kinda break away from what he had already been doing with Mr. Miracle and Vision. Looks like the “twist” this time is that the atom King insert (Strange) isn’t going to be quite the good guy he portrays himself as. King’s mention of colonialism, and Mr. Terrific talking about how he doesn’t get the same amount of respect as Adam even though he’s saved the world just as much definitely has me curious to see where he’s going with this. I like Mr. Terrific in this so far, even if him just reciting trivia is kind of a eye rolling attempt at portraying his intellect. That last question from the T-sphere was brutal though.
    Which is kind of ironic because I'd say Mr. Terrific is a little more popular and relevant then Adam has been lately.

With all that’s going on in the world, that facet of the story may be even more socially relevant than even King intended. In this book Adam Strange is seen by the public as the all American hero who traveled to distant lands and brought peace to its people through military conquest. Mr. Terrific is an African American man who many consider one of if not the smartest people on earth and one of the best athletes around. I don’t think King will be too on the nose with it but there would definitely be some people who would feel threatened by Holt’s status. Terrific himself states that “people don’t like it when people like me question people like him.” The whole “who does he think he is to accuse a real American of such a crime?!?”

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Which is kind of ironic because I'd say Mr. Terrific is a little more popular and relevant then Adam has been lately.
    I would totally agree in terms of real world popularity, but what I think King is going for is critiquing the archetype Adam is built from, the guy who went “overseas” to have “adventures” and is hailed as a hero. Pretty timely given those Columbus statues that just got knocked down, although I hope King isn’t going to make Adam into a total POS. There’s also an interesting factor in that Adam is the clear “King protagonist” in the same vein as Mister Miracle, but here it looks like King might deconstruct his own archetypal protagonist via the other protagonist, Mr. Terrific.

I would totally agree in terms of real world popularity, but what I think King is going for is critiquing the archetype Adam is built from, the guy who went “overseas” to have “adventures” and is hailed as a hero. Pretty timely given those Columbus statues that just got knocked down, although I hope King isn’t going to make Adam into a total POS. There’s also an interesting factor in that Adam is the clear “King protagonist” in the same vein as Mister Miracle, but here it looks like King might deconstruct his own archetypal protagonist via the other protagonist, Mr. Terrific.
    I get the sense King is drawing from his own experience working in an intelligence agency fighting the War on Terror...I just don't want him to turn Adam Strange into a bad guy.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

This is the most interesting Mister Terrific has been in a while. This is shaping up to be as good as Mister Miracle. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This is the most interesting Mister Terrific has been in a while. This is shaping up to be as good as Mister Miracle. Fingers crossed.
    King is a gamble. I've read his brilliant Omega men, Mister Miracle, and Vision nstories. I've also read Heroes in Crisis. I believe he aims huge with all of these min-series and swings for the fences. Personally, my big familiarity with Adam has been the Richard Bruning story so I'm not as up on the characters as many. I suspect any mischaracterizations would glide right by me. I also haven't read the second issue yet. Seriously, this world needs to get back on a regular schedule so I can get down to my LCS like clockwork.

But back to the book. I'm very happy with the first issue. There is a nice combination of normalcy and extraordinary events which was a big part of what I loved about Mister Miracle. I'm looking forward to this series.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    King is a gamble. I've read his brilliant Omega men, Mister Miracle, and Vision nstories. I've also read Heroes in Crisis. I believe he aims huge with all of these min-series and swings for the fences. Personally, my big familiarity with Adam has been the Richard Bruning story so I'm not as up on the characters as many. I suspect any mischaracterizations would glide right by me. I also haven't read the second issue yet. Seriously, this world needs to get back on a regular schedule so I can get down to my LCS like clockwork.

But back to the book. I'm very happy with the first issue. There is a nice combination of normalcy and extraordinary events which was a big part of what I loved about Mister Miracle. I'm looking forward to this series.
    Quite right. He might be one of the biggest hit or miss writers in comics. His good stuff is great, and his bad stuff is truly awful. Sometimes he even vacillates in the same run. I really dug some of his early Batman run, then he just fell off a cliff.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

King's problem is that his style doesn't fit on going books or events while he truly shine in mini and small books.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    King's problem is that his style doesn't fit on going books or events while he truly shine in mini and small books.
    From all the interviews he's given, it sounds like he agrees with you. I don't think he has much interest in dealing with giant DCU events like he had to with Batman and Heroes in Crisis.