Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    You're all forgetting the Sub-Mariner.
    Namor's not that popular so I dont think anyone forget him. Even then the popularity he does has isnt bc of his association as an X-man

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    Looking at the X-Men franchise and its published books, you understand that why Wolverine gets a solo series. In fact he gets and deserves multiple series. He is in the top 3 most popular Marvel characters. And who is the other X-Men character that gets a solo series? Cable?!?!?
    Would you say that Cable the second most popular X-Men character? Or does he just fit that Wolverine mold of gritty old White male character? Then the question is why does Cable get series after series? Who would you say is the second most popular X-Men character?
    The only I question I have is why, nothing against him but he like Captain Marvel have had a slew of solo titles many of which sold moderately well to bad. Yet they are always in line for a new one, which is odd for no other reason than some characters with imo more potential are only ever given one shot and usually with a maximum of 12 issues.

I definitely have a few ideas but across the spectrum of comics it has always baffled me how DC or Marvel will go all in on some characters and give up before getting others a real chance.

Captain Marvel has lived off good trade sales for a decade which still has to be explained over and over for some reason, and Cable has built-in audience awareness that can be thrown in to fatten up a relaunch and make some money. The last series lasted over a year despite Malin art and Robinson's non-story, so I wouldn't be surprised if Duggan just pitched the thing and it was approved because they liked it + brand recognition + X-Books currently hot.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Precisely. Just imagine what a great creative team could do with him? I like Duggan’s take on the character actually. Not crazy about the Noto art. It’s good, but not a great fit with Cable IMO. But Duggan with real Cable (OG version) chronicling his adventures in the Dawn of X present day Marvel U landscape, and a big time artist, like say Adam Kubert? I think it would sell well. Sign me up for ten copies!

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    The only I question I have is why, nothing against him but he like Captain Marvel have had a slew of solo titles many of which sold moderately well to bad. Yet they are always in line for a new one, which is odd for no other reason than some characters with imo more potential are only ever given one shot and usually with a maximum of 12 issues.

I definitely have a few ideas but across the spectrum of comics it has always baffled me how DC or Marvel will go all in on some characters and give up before getting others a real chance.
    Cable’s books have outsold lots of other solo character titles who are constantly granted relaunches as well. Like Snoop says, he has a built in audience. Same as Captain America or Iron Man. Even when their books aren’t good.

I like Noto's art. It is very reminiscent of Olivetti from the 2008 volume

ETA:
    Wow I never noticed but the first issue almost feels like an homage to that

Last edited by Havok83; 06-17-2020 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Namor's not that popular so I dont think anyone forget him. Even then the popularity he does has isnt bc of his association as an X-man
    Namor is the guy that has been in more teams and all of them hate him, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I like Noto's art. It is very reminiscent of Olivetti from the 2008 volume
    I don’t see it quite the same. It’s a bit more... bland to me personally. At least compared to Olivetti’s work. But art is in the eye of the beholder. To me Noto would work better on a book like New Mutants. Just a personal preference really.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

It's gotta be Storm!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

It took 7 - 8 years for Logan to build up enough goodwill to get his solo series.

OP is probably younger but when Cable was introduced he fit in with the non-traditional, more violent hero archetype that was popular at the time and since there wasn't enough space in X-Force to flesh out his story, he eventually got his own mini which evolved into an on-going.

I think his connection to being the son of two founding X-Men also helps his rep.
    "Cable was right!"

Magneto has a fairly long run solo title too. Another toxic masculinity loner white guy.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Besides the 4 who had several succesfull solobooks, Wolverine, Cable, X23 and Deadpool, I believe the best way to see who else can support a solo series, would be looking at the mini series they had and how well they did.

Magneto did quite well indeed and like other suggested a Namor series will probably do well too. (If so, I hope they will include Loa and Crosta as supporting cast). I think that's it though. Cyclops, Jean and Storm are popular, but not strong enough to support an ongoing solo.

Gambit and Rogue mini series, as well as Mr. & Mrs. X did both do well, but that is a due, not a solo.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Besides the 4 who had several succesfull solobooks, Wolverine, Cable, X23 and Deadpool, I believe the best way to see who else can support a solo series, would be looking at the mini series they had and how well they did.

Magneto did quite well indeed and like other suggested a Namor series will probably do well too. (If so, I hope they will include Loa and Crosta as supporting cast). I think that's it though. Cyclops, Jean and Storm are popular, but not strong enough to support an ongoing solo.

Gambit and Rogue mini series, as well as Mr. & Mrs. X did both do well, but that is a due, not a solo.
    The best Gambit solo for me is forever Gambit vol 3 by Nicieza and Skroce (25 issues +2 annuls). Great creative team with Gambit at his best.
    Gambit vol 5 by Asmus and Mann (17 issues) and Gambit first mini by Mackie and Weeks are awesome too. No one ever created so much Gambit mythology as Mackie in 4 issues.

Sunfire could have a pretty great solo series, as his thing is kind of that he quits the X-Men to be Japan’s hero. As long as they don’t just see an East Asian character and let bloody Pak write it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Sunfire could have a pretty great solo series, as his thing is kind of that he quits the X-Men to be Japan’s hero. As long as they don’t just see an East Asian character and let bloody Pak write it.
    I just found out that Sunfire and Namor have pretty much the same personality.

Uh.

Wolverine and uuhhhhh Cable?!?!?!?
    Oh, it's about popularity? During few seconds, you're scared me, op…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe