Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman Too Much Trouble For DC Comics?

Rogues gallery, continuity, regular supporting cast, iconic PETS, iconic city or setting - using all of that in a comic book story, every month, requires a lot of editing and checking of back issues. Are we asking for too much? Is that too much trouble for the Bat-editors, who edit this comic?

Maybe, the editors don't have the time to do all of that.

Are we asking for too much?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-16-2020 at 03:18 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I have to say yes. I mean they have changed a lot about her. They can't seem to conntect with her. They pick mostly good writers but after that they can't seem to have her be good. I mean out of all the seven in JL Diana suffers a lot

From what I understand, she doesn't have her own editor. If they hired one person to handle all the Wonder Woman stuff that would probably allow them to restart Sensation Comics as well to draw more readers with her new movie popularity.

Than again I don't know how many people buy books because of the movies and if DC could afford a second WW title that way not sell well. Not to mention the whole ordeal that DC left Dimond at what that would bring.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Requiring writers to start nearly from scratch, with every new story arc - only permitting noticable, typically meaningless changes to Diana - keeps the need for editing, at a minimum. [Diana wears biker outfit, shoots wrist blades, etc] Keeping numerous regulars in the comic, like Alfred or Gordon, requires editors to do keep track of multiple continuities: ie; Etta's new girlfriend or pet, Steve revealed as a robot, etc. Considering the comic's historically low sales, leaving out a cast and rogues gallery frees up editors to devote quality time to books that sell better.

There might not be enough editors to do all of that. Perhaps, we should be satisfied with things, as they are...adjust our expectations. Maybe, this is the best DC can do, presently.

Maybe, all that matters is that individual issues entertain us.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-16-2020 at 04:47 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I’m going with yes, we’re expecting too much, if only because of the changes currently happening at DC Comics via WarnerMedia and AT&T.

Johns was relinquished of his duties. Diane Nelson didn’t last too long. Didio was out. That’s a ton of change over the years for any company, trying to find its creative direction and audience and everything else in a very competitive, and fickle, environment and market.

I truly hope the change will be good and mean good things for Diana if/when they fully embrace all the things she is, has been, and could be. I just hope they’re not afraid of her and what she could be - especially in this moment in time and the ish we’re experiencing in real life. That’s tough for a corporation to do, but it’s what they’ve got to do and how they’ve got to change if they want the character to resonate in pop culture and the zeitgeist at all.

I’m not holding my breath, but I’m hoping for it. The world needs Diana and Wonder Woman.

She needs her own editor. Someone who actually cares not her going back and forth.

I mean, the people at DC clearly have a different vision for WW than members of this community. Though modern WW continuity is still pretty bad regardless. We seem to have ended a reboot death spiral, or a reboot singularity. Every time Wonder Woman gets rebooted, the span until the next reboot comes draws closer. Soon enough, in your life time perhaps, WW will be rebooted every day and then hour and every second, until WW exists everywhere and at all times. We will all learn to love the cosmic Wonder Woman God-head!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I agree that we should lower our standards for the WW comic. Maybe, we should not expect it to be given the same quality editorial attention that the Batman and Superman comics receive...

Be satisfied with whatever DC tosses our way. I agree.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I agree that we should lower our standards for the WW comic. Maybe, we should not expect it to be given the same quality editorial attention that the Batman and Superman comics receive...

Be satisfied with whatever DC tosses our way. I agree.
    We shouldn't be satisfied with whatever they toss our way. And they shouldn't feel satisfied with that either. If they want the title to sell better. They need consistency. Consistency in her personality, her supporting cast, villains, consistency in the portrayal of her power level and the power of her villains. They need development and be consistent with that development.

I would love to see rogues gallery, supporting cast, silver Rotties, with little magic bracelets, and all the bells and whistles. I would, but, somebody or bodies at DC have a different idea, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Rogues gallery, continuity, regular supporting cast, iconic PETS, iconic city or setting - using all of that in a comic book story, every month, requires a lot of editing and checking of back issues. Are we asking for too much? Is that too much trouble for the Bat-editors, who edit this comic?

Maybe, the editors don't have the time to do all of that.

Are we asking for too much?
    I will be honest and say I think it has been largely an issue of leadership actively working against the character because he did "get" the character. As I understand it there are many talents--new and comics Legend alike--that have had pitches they wanted to do but were denied. A great example of the misguidedness is the tail end of Rucka's first run. Amazons Attack as originally conceived would actually have been epic and celebrate/demonstrate Amazons and their awesomeness. But enter certain "people" who hijack the title and replace it with anti Amazon silliness because that's all that person could conceive. I sometimes think he was really just a cast off from the old Wizard Magazine crew especially given the near 1:1 similarity between the 52 relaunch and the Wizard re-imagining of the character.

I agree with Stanlos here. The problem isn't consistency or lack of editorial resources, or anything like that. Instead, Wonder Woman's radical edge of social critique has been removed, and writers and editors have desperately tried to fill that hole—but nothing works.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I've said before it might be best to put Wonder Woman on hold until better ideas can be done.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Wonder Woman was meant to interest young women and girls and is a poor fit to an industry where most of the remaining consumers and most of the writers are middle aged men. She is a mighty princess from an all-women Utopia who left Paradise for love, duty, or a sense of adventure. Her stories need to be whimsical, with fairy-tale elements, brightly lit and attractive. That sort of material just can't be made by today's superhero industry any more.

How much whimsy and fun is in Wonder Woman: Dead Earth? How much in Dark Nights: Death Metal? Ask this question about any Wonder Woman comic and you will hit on the true judgment of its quality and appropriateness for the character. And if this is the best DC can do for Wonder Woman, then yes, maybe it is time for her to hang up her spurs and retire for a while.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I've said before it might be best to put Wonder Woman on hold until better ideas can be done.
    NO. Not at all, it's too good of a way for a comic to die.