Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Born

My opinion.....meh.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    Is there a way to make him work without Diana being directly tied to Zeus?

Well, before Azzarello, Diana fought Greek gods and monsters without being related to Zeus so I don't see why not.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I kinda enjoyed him for what he was in the DCnU era, but he’s also a slightly one-note villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    The initial premise of the First Born, his Hyena-men and his alliance with Cassandra the Mad, with her wonder-powers and her flying Carrier - it was all so cool. It was. Basically, he was the Kurgan from Highlander teaming up with an evil Bionic Woman...what's not to LOVE?

Then, he became the pork chop god of Pot Roast Mountain, I everything got bloody and gross. Basically, for seemingly no reason, Brian discarded his cool dragon armor and turned this very cool Kurganesque villain into an entirely different character. First Born started as a rival to Vandal Savage ..and finished, as an animated hamburger.

First Born was never the problem, and actually had more going for him, than most wonder-rogues - coherent backstory and motivation. The problem was how he was used in a story that Brian seemed to be making up, as he went along...and it was agonizingly slow.

In different hands, the First Born, like too many other wonder-villains, wasted in badly executed stories, is an a-lister. He deserves another go, without all the vitriolic baggage of how we felt about the New 52.
    All this.

There were better characters in the run, like Strife (especially Strife!) but First Born had potential and could easily be brought back and used to great effect.

Honestly I think the Azzarello run had a lot of really great things in it.....but nobody remembers anything except the rape pirate Amazons and Zeus being Diana's daddy.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    All this.

There were better characters in the run, like Strife (especially Strife!) but First Born had potential and could easily be brought back and used to great effect.

Honestly I think the Azzarello run had a lot of really great things in it.....but nobody remembers anything except the rape pirate Amazons and Zeus being Diana's daddy.

Well, that's probably because those things along with the never-ending chase the baby plot were what was shoved in our faces for the 3 years of that run. If Azzarello had spent more time developing the First Born, Strife, or Cassandra, maybe things would be different.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    All this.

Politely disagree.

Does everybody and their postal carrier?

Probably not.

That said, "Nobody..." is a bit of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Yes, I mean she doesn't need to be Zeus's daughter For First Born's origin to work.
    She absolutely does not.

Since the Golden Age, Wonder Woman's Amazon mission has been to protect peace, love and freedom on Earth and beyond, ..and the First Born's very existence is a threat to all of that. Like Atomia, Clea, Grail and the Kurgan in Highlander (photo, below), the First Born's conquest ambitions make him a natural enemy of Diana, on a personal and ideological level. Narratively speaking, he and Clea define her, in a way that Cheetah and Angle Man do not.

Honestly, when you look at the Highlander film series, I don't see how the First Born isn't wholly inspired, by the titular hero's archenemy, the Kurgan. Like Connor MacLeod's foe, the First Born's backstory is one that sets him on a clear and urgent collision course, with the hero! It is one of the best origin stories for a villain, in WW or any other comic.

Should Diana's Kurgan be a woman? I would welcome some inventive writer making the giant Queen Clea, the First Born's daughter - Zeus's destruction of his kingdom and burying him in the Earth's crust, ..being the engine that sets Clea on her immortal path, as a conqueror. Imagine a fire-haired, little girl in the middle of all of that apocalyptic bedlam and wondering ..what would become of her! How would she survive? Wonder Woman, being the daughter of once-enslaved Amazons, and determined to protect mankind from a similar fate, needs a female archenemy, like the First Born, ..and I think that has always been Clea.

I think the First Born should be on a list of the WW comic's go-to antagonists, for WW writers. It doesn't much matter, which version or origin of Wonder Woman is in play, because the enmity between them is so organic. The WW comic has so many GREAT rogues sitting in mothballs, ..and this is one of them.

Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-23-2020 at 09:19 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!