Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member

Yes. With the exception of Azzarello and Grant Morrison's versions, I'm much more interested in Diana's adventures in Patriarch's World.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

All the places in Batman lore you stated are located in one place, Gotham. Yet no one is saying there are too many stories focused on Gotham.
    Can you name any unique settings on Themyscira? Can you identify any locals of note? Gotham is Gotham because it isn't some vague local. It's a very specific local with iconic settings within it. When people talk about Themyscira it's usually about the island as a whole. There really aren't any locations on the island that are used consistently, so the whole island comes across as one vague location rather than a detailed location with many settings.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think it can be in certain instances. It wasn't an issue in the Golden Age because the average issue of Wonder Woman had 3-4 stories in it, and you could have a story on Paradise Island and another story set somewhere else and it all worked wonderfully. As comics got more decompressed, Themyscira taking up page space can be an issue when other areas of her franchise are being neglected. And that's before we get into the depiction of the Amazons and Themyscira being done badly.

Aside from rushing back to Themyscira for a mutli-part arc early on after barely being established in Man's World ("Challenge of the Gods" is very good, but I would have placed it a little later on), Perez was good at balancing Diana between two worlds. Jimenez as well. And I actually like the setup of Rebirth where Diana is not able to return home at least for a few years. I think writers should use that opportunity to flesh out other areas of her franchise during that gap, like building up her rogues gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    All the places in Batman lore you stated are located in one place, Gotham. Yet no one is saying there are too many stories focused on Gotham.
    I think it's because, aside from the Al Ghul stuff (which is kind of a weird outlier), all of Batman's stuff is in Gotham. Supporting cast and villains. Whereas with Wonder Woman, half of her supporting cast is not on the island, and neither are the conflicts and villains she needs to stop. Themyscira can't be her Gotham because it's the nest she needs to leave (if frequently revisit).

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Can you name any unique settings on Themyscira? Can you identify any locals of note? Gotham is Gotham because it isn't some vague local. It's a very specific local with iconic settings within it. When people talk about Themyscira it's usually about the island as a whole. There really aren't any locations on the island that are used consistently, so the whole island comes across as one vague location rather than a detailed location with many settings.
    There is no updated map, no spots that are iconic to Themyscira or even Paradise Island. Rucka tried to make one with the stone amazon statue over looking the sea like the colossus of Rhodes. But, Paradise Island is barren most of the time outside of nature and forest space. If the island had more going for it there wouldn't much of a problem.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor