Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Is Themyscira used to much in Wonderwoman stories?

I've always felt that the whole point of the island is that she leaves it to become a hero and go on her adventures, but increasingly most of her stories tend to revolve around the island its inhabitance, and its history. I feel it makes the character seem way smaller in scope then she should be. I mean Superman stories don't all have to revolve around Krypton.

Why do people keep comparing Themyscira to Krypton of all places?

As for the question, no. Since Diana doesn't have an iconic city in Man's World, Themyscira is the closest substitute for it. So it only makes sense to use a location that's uniquely hers the most.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I've always felt that the whole point of the island is that she leaves it to become a hero and go on her adventures, but increasingly most of her stories tend to revolve around the island its inhabitance, and its history. I feel it makes the character seem way smaller in scope then she should be. I mean Superman stories don't all have to revolve around Krypton.
    I wouldn't compare it to Krypton. If anything, it's closer to Smallville, really, and there are plenty of Smallville focused Superman stories.

I'd say yes.

Rebirth had the opportunity to make her return to Themyscira a real major event. Unfortunately, it was sort of an afterthought, and Diana's reunion was very meh.

And I understand why Themyscira is used so often. It's a very appealing aspect of the Wonder Woman mythos. I just wish that from a storytelling perspective, it was treated with more respect instead of just constantly going back to it because it's the easy thing to do.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Why do people keep comparing Themyscira to Krypton of all places?

As for the question, no. Since Diana doesn't have an iconic city in Man's World, Themyscira is the closest substitute for it. So it only makes sense to use a location that's uniquely hers the most.
    because it's where she comes from.
    I feel the abundance of Themyscira appearances is due to the lack of other iconic locations in Wonder woman's mythos. Most Superheroes have a plethera of other locations to set a story in and around. Superman has Krypton, The fortress of Solitude, the Daily Planet the Phantom zone all of which come with supporting cast associated with that location. Batman has Crime Alley, The Batcave, The rooftop of the Gotham police department, commisioner Gordon's office. He even has minor places like the Iceberg lounge. But with Diana it's really just Themyscira.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 06-16-2020 at 08:36 PM.

Probably, though I wouldn't really mind but it feels the only story beat writers want to do with it is a variation of Themyscira being invaded or the latest dark secret hidden in it.

Not enough, but also not in the right way.

The thing is pre-crisis she would go for a vacation or visit. But every since Post Crisis she cant' finds her way back. Until now was Paradise Island accessible. I would say if we want Paradise Island back we have to ask why and how. In a sense maybe get her a city before Paradise Island. However, we have Cale and Godwatch or Villiany Inc so you know. We could have Cale go to the Island

Fantastic Member

Isn't Wonder Woman banned from Themyscira? I thought she wasn't allowed back on the island.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    because it's where she comes from.
    Which is the only thing it has in common with Krypton from a narrative standpoint. It's like saying Wakanda is used too much in Black Panther stories or that Asgard is used too much in Thor stories. Themyscira was never destroyed and even in the original stories, it was a frequent location starting from the 6th issue or so. There have been numerous supporting characters linked to Themyscira so no, it is not used too much.

I feel the abundance of Themyscira appearances is due to the lack of other iconic locations in Wonder woman's mythos. Most Superheroes have a plethera of other locations to set a story in and around. Superman has Krypton, The fortress of Solitude, the Daily Planet the Phantom zone all of which come with supporting cast associated with that location.
    Krypton is a dead planet. By your logic, it shouldn't be used at all once it has been destroyed and anything from it should be either excised or completely reduced in importance, including the fortress and the Phantom Zone.

Batman has Crime Alley, The Batcave, The rooftop of the Gotham police department, commisioner Gordon's office. He even has minor places like the Iceberg lounge. But with Diana it's really just Themyscira.
    All the places in Batman lore you stated are located in one place, Gotham. Yet no one is saying there are too many stories focused on Gotham.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    Isn't Wonder Woman banned from Themyscira? I thought she wasn't allowed back on the island.
    Rucka set up the situation so that Themyscira was Ares's prison, and locked away from the world. G Willow Wilson blew that up on the very first pages of her run (and rightly so).

But I agree with WonderScott. We might have a decent amount of Themyscira stories, but they're stories where Themyscira is either an object (that stuff happens to, like being invaded) or where it's a bad place, or both. Not stories where Themyscira is something to strive towards, or which treat it as a real living society.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Yes it certainly is.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Used too much. Diana should return only on rare occasions.

I didn't mind Paradise Island being Diana's Batcave, in the Golden, Silver and Bronze Ages.

It was seen every second or third issue, then. Diana dropped by for advice from the Queen ..or a thingamabob from Paula (now 'Warmaster'), and that was fine. Since the Bill Loebs run (Zero Hour), Paradise swallows entire issues...entire story arcs, once or twice. When the stories are driven by what's happening on that island, that is where I have signed off and tuned out.

I want it to go back to being the coolest tool-shed in comics.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

I like that she has access to it, as a resource. And more importantly than that, she needs to get past Greek gods and mythological figures, and engage more with the contemporary world. The Amazons themselves should show ordinary human curiosity and be eager to get their hands on outside world tech. As a military organization it makes no sense that they wouldn't.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison