Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Destiny isn't completely omnicient. After all, she never foresaw that assassinating that politician would lead to Days of Future Past. And it still feels odd that even if she didn't care much about the potential genocide of mutants in her first life, she didn't know about it at all or mention it in her proceeding lives.
    She says in the last issue of PoX that mutants lose every time, that seems like a clear implication that they were also wiped out in Life 1. Also, if she knew that mutants were fine in Life 1, why wouldn't she just replicate that Life to save mutants?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    She says in the last issue of PoX that mutants lose every time, that seems like a clear implication that they were also wiped out in Life 1. Also, if she knew that mutants were fine in Life 1, why wouldn't she just replicate that Life to save mutants?
    In life 2, she did not even know what a mutant was. Life 2 she does not even know how things turn out either because she dies so early. Even life 3 we don't know really if mutants are a thing other than she is determined to rid the world of them and dies.

I been saying all along Moira is the only consistent in all these failed timelines, she's probably the problem, that was legit the first thing that popped in my head, honestly I'm shocked Charles and Erik aren't trying to remove her from the board in every aspect, they'd be fools to not be looking for some type of way to deal with her powers.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    In life 2, she did not even know what a mutant was. Life 2 she does not even know how things turn out either because she dies so early. Even life 3 we don't know really if mutants are a thing other than she is determined to rid the world of them and dies.
    In Life 2 she died trying to reach Xavier because she figured out she was a mutant.

Moira acknowledges the observer effect herself in HoX #2, but not as the cause of mutant extinction. If she thought that was the case, or that if her being a mutant was the cause, she developed a cure in her third life that she could use to take herself out of the game. She hasn't. There is no reason to believe that Moira's first three lives were any better for mutants because she has never attempted to replicate anything from those lives. And again, as the story of HoXPoX has been presented, if Destiny believed that mutants would be better off without Moira, she and Mystique would have killed her before her powers manifested on her thirteenth birthday.

Wouldn't Eternity or Infinity have an issue with her?.. Or the Phoenix?.. or the Time Variance Authority?

Quote Originally Posted by Maniacal View Post
    Wouldn't Eternity or Infinity have an issue with her?.. Or the Phoenix?.. or the Time Variance Authority?
    I don't think Eternity has a problem with Moira. It is not a cosmic reboot like Secret Wars, it's more like temporal.

And I don't think the Phoenix has a problem either. Death and resurrection are cool for it.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Moira was under the impression she was a human in Life 1, so it's not unusual that she doesn't mention the fate of mutants during that lifetime, because it wouldn't have affected her life beyond maybe being a sad thing that happened. Like, if you were writing an autobiography you probably wouldn't mention the Rwandan genocide unless it directly affected you. Or because she thought she was human she may have even been influenced by media and bias into either not caring or thinking the eradication of mutants was an unfortunate necessity. At any rate, if mutants' annihilation was directly tied to Moira's existence I'm pretty sure Destiny would have seen that.
    But the DoFP future is not really a localized, Rwanda-style genocide- Sentinels take over the entire world and kill humans and mutants alike. The same thing we see in other lives, like #6 and #9.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    But the DoFP future is not really a localized, Rwanda-style genocide- Sentinels take over the entire world and kill humans and mutants alike. The same thing we see in other lives, like #6 and #9.
    None of Moira's lives are the DoFP timeline, which is an alternate reality. In lives 6 and 9 humans aren't eradicated, they bond with AI to become the falsely evolved Homo novissima, which from what we have been shown, seems to be something that was actively pursued by most humans. It is presumed that humans becoming Homo novissima is ultimately inevitable, but the rate at which this occurs differs depending on how well their common enemy, mutants, fight back. So in lives 6 and 9, Moira's involvement likely hastened the process. In Life 1 it didn't occur within Moira's lifetime, possibly because without her help mutants were killed off much easier in this Life.

Extraordinary Member

In Life 2 she died trying to reach Xavier because she figured out she was a mutant.

Moira acknowledges the observer effect herself in HoX #2, but not as the cause of mutant extinction. If she thought that was the case, or that if her being a mutant was the cause, she developed a cure in her third life that she could use to take herself out of the game. She hasn't. There is no reason to believe that Moira's first three lives were any better for mutants because she has never attempted to replicate anything from those lives. And again, as the story of HoXPoX has been presented, if Destiny believed that mutants would be better off without Moira, she and Mystique would have killed her before her powers manifested on her thirteenth birthday.
    All I am saying is that in life 2 she has no idea what a mutant is and she lived way longer in that life 1 than whatever the current continuity is and longer than most of the other lives went on for. That is it. If in all that time that was life 1 there was never any big mutant catastrophe that is quite different that most of all the other lives, particularly the later ones where she takes a more active role.

Can’t wait till this is retconned. Moira was amazing before all this.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    All I am saying is that in life 2 she has no idea what a mutant is and she lived way longer in that life 1 than whatever the current continuity is and longer than most of the other lives went on for. That is it. If in all that time that was life 1 there was never any big mutant catastrophe that is quite different that most of all the other lives, particularly the later ones where she takes a more active role.
    To be fair, in life #2 she doesn't necessarily doesn't know what a mutant is, it just didn't occur to her that she might have been one, probably because she didn't had much exposure or knowledge about them- and I'm pretty sure an Holocaust caused by robots would have made her aware they existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Moira was amazingly dead and irrelevant for 20 years before all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    I think Moira was interesting before, yet she's more interesting and amazing now. Even if the retcon has a few continuity problems (as we could read her thoughts in old issues)... But I buy the retcon (and i love it) for the sake of the franchise. Anyway, some fans here have great theories about Moira.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    To be fair, in life #2 she doesn't necessarily doesn't know what a mutant is, it just didn't occur to her that she might have been one, probably because she didn't had much exposure or knowledge about them- and I'm pretty sure an Holocaust caused by robots would have made her aware they existed.
    Life #2 we see the first major instance of the observer effect, or the Moira Effect, in that Xavier most likely never made that statement on TV in life #1, but Moira met him in school in life #2 and now he goes public. When she hears him say mutant, that seems to be the first she hears of it, she goes to see him to find out more about what it means.

Perhaps Xavier did make that statement and Moira did not care or did not even watch television.

The situation for mutants in the UK is not as violent as in the USA. And perhaps in her first life with no Sentinels the mutant situation was never especially violent. To her they would be just another superhero.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Perhaps Xavier did make that statement and Moira did not care or did not even watch television.

The situation for mutants in the UK is not as violent as in the USA. And perhaps in her first life with no Sentinels the mutant situation was never especially violent. To her they would be just another superhero.
    You can come up with explanations, that is fine, and that is my point. I have no reason for this being written the way it is, no theory to support or disprove. It is just that it is clear that 'mutant' was not something that was a thing in life #1, which is very different from the rest of her lives.