Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Retired Overlord

Default Oblitus Magia - A Fantasy-Dystopia RPG(Sign up and Info Thread)

"The past was erased,
    the erasure was forgotten
    the lie became the truth."

Welcome to Urban Center A-11, One of...if not the oldest, of the great sheltered cities of Earth. You have been chosen as part of a relocation initiative following the tragic loss of Center A-9 to the ruin.....what, is your memory fuzzy? Pay it no mind, travel outside can fog the mind, and you have been through such...hardship. Set aside your fears and relax. Here, we are safe...we are protected. All the arrangements have been signed and sealed. A transport awaits to take you to your new home....before we go however, it is my function to help you acclimate to your new surroundings so you may...adjust to life here. Sit quiet, pay attention.......

----

Welcome to Oblitus Magia, my humble attempt at a forum RPG. Inspired by a combination of Lovecraft, Dystopian Literature and that time I binged Madoka Magica until 3 am while eating spicy tacos and the nightmares it produced.

The story takes place....well, that's not for you to know. You are but a humble citizen, lawful or otherwise, of one of many Urban Centers were the remnants of humanity linger in blissful ignorance under the Authority of the Administratum Magi, the single remaining power that holds the Ruin, malicious otherworldly forces not of this world, from sweeping humanity off the face of the world.

Protecting you from a threat you've never seen, the Administratum Magi oversees order by means of a alien power known as Magic....gifted to them by their benefactors, the otherworldly Nephilim. Their puppet soldiers, the witches, patrol the streets for your protection....from threats outside and in. The Cities are all you know...and perhaps all you will ever know. There is no world outside the walls, not one in which humans are welcome.

But bow your head, never question the order of things.....and you can live a relatively normal, peaceful life.

In theory....

But your not fated for that sort of thing.

I'll put up a character sheet in the next post, followed by some basic information on the setting to assist in creating a PC for it and how the stats work for this rpg.
    Last edited by MrSandman; 06-20-2020 at 08:58 PM.

Retired Overlord

Character Sheet

Name:

Race:

Appearance: (You can use an image or describe it)

Class: (Optional Flavor information - Whatever class best fits the combination of your characters skills)

Items:

Mundus lvl: 0

Body lvl:
    Soul lvl:
    Mind lvl:

Skills:

History/Backstory:

Special: (Any Special information)

Saving space if needed
    Last edited by Tami; 06-20-2020 at 01:57 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Dogeseph Dogestar

Race: Doge

Class: Punch Wizard Mascot

Items: Fists.

Body lvl: 5
    Soul lvl: 50
    Mind lvl: 20

Skills:

TBA

History/Backstory:

In the beginning, there was nothing... and then there was Doge.

Special:

Ora Ora.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Are multiple characters happening here, or is this something else?
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    Are multiple characters happening here, or is this something else?
    Potentially. Depends on whether or not Sandman accepts the idea of a dog with a stand.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Retired Overlord

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Potentially. Depends on whether or not Sandman accepts the idea of a dog with a stand.
    There isn't a rule against multiple characters persay, but I'm also gonna be fairly strict on the bar for accepting them.

Also no Doge....I just spent a day trying to balance nik, that monster will never be balanced. So I say to thee.....Muda Muda.

Retired Overlord

Default The World of Ruin: Geography

Referenced only in public archives and historical documents, the world before ruin rarely appears as more then a footnote in the history of the human race...much of it lost to ruin and centuries of violence and war. Not even the name survived....referred by the Administratum simple as "The World of Ruin". Below are the places of note, for those so inclined to risk life and limb beyond the walls of human civilization.

Urban Centers
    Built during the fall of humanity to the ruin, these massive city-scapes remain the last safe bastions to the human race. While officially designated by a letter/number combination by the Administratum, most of these urban centers are given a much more unofficial title by their human inhabitants. Urban Center A-11, located on the eastern coast of one of the worlds 7 continents, is one of 13 urban centers that exist, or existed on that continent at one time.....though the current number is closer to 9. Whenever the Ruin claims a city somewhere in the world, the Administratum are quick to make it publicly know.....and place the blame upon the ruin, and more often then not, on humans who carry on the old ways of violence and opposition to peace...inviting the ruin in like honey before a swarm of ants.

Every Urban Center shares a similar design. A warded parameter wall, heavily secured, surrounded an oversees the poorer slums where the bulk of humans live. As you approach the center, the standard of living increases....middle class workers and families whom allowed their children to be tested and adopted into the witch program and given much more comfortable quarters near the center, followed then by the high end quarters for city officals, and finally the Administratum offices and important facilities. At the heart of every Urban Center is a massive conflux spire...the communication and control hub for the Administratum. Most people can only glimpse this monstrous structure on the skyline....even from the city edge.

City A-11 share the unique distinction as the primary headquarters for several key Administratum institutions...including the Orphanage, a facility whose reputation varies from the fantastic to the horrifying depending on whom your listening too.

---

The Ruin

Beyond the warded barrier of each city is the World of Ruin.....The collected term for any lands not inhabited by humans. While this isn't to say that the ruin has occupied all land outside the cities, as far as the Administratum is concerned, all land outside is off limits and dangerous.

When traveling the World of Ruin, it is easy to fall prey to the delusion that there is nothing horrifying nor insidious waiting with fangs beared. It is a world were only feint ruins mark a human civilization beyond the walls....crumbled buildings amist rain soaked forests, colossal machines buried under centuries of dirt, plains of sand that once rested underwater. Few humans ever see these unmarred sights......but they exist.

But sooner or later, the land twists.....the plants turn dark, the air thick, the soil dead. Perception blurrs, the mind withers and rots, memories turn to ash. Then the screaming starts...and you know the ruin is upon you.

---

The Iron Giant

A Legend, told among slum children, the origin of which not even the storytellers know.

A Metal Giant once crawled the ground, the waters and the sky. A beast whom carried humans on its back. When the Ruin came, it died....and its great body came to rest in a long forgotten tome far into the wilds, where it will return some day to carry the poor of the slums to long forgotten lands free of the ruin.

Such are the tales of fools.....

Kaiser

Race: Mascot (Dog)

Class: Crowned and Conquering Corgi

Items: Collar

Body lvl: 0
    Soul lvl: 25
    Mind lvl: 50

Skills:

Body: Nada

Soul
    Manipulation of Bonds ~ Fission (Fus Roh Dog) - With but the slightest exertion of will, Kaiser can forcefully and quickly sever the bonds between subatomic particles within an area, causing a small-scale nuclear explosion.

This operates no differently than a normal explosion... just with more cancer, I guess.

Manipulation of Bonds ~ Dissolution of the Physical - Like the above, but slower and less explosive. Generally used to turn the affected matter into a... slurry of goop, more or less.

Neither of the above can be applied to animate matter.

Mind

Manipulation of Bonds ~ Dissolution of the Emotional - A mental attack that dissolves an existing emotional bond.

Manipulation of Bonds ~ Establishment of the Emotional - Like the above, but in reverse. The 'bond' can be of any nature--love, lust, hatred, even indifference.

Manipulation of Bonds ~ Reinforcement of the Emotional - Intensifies an already extant bond.

Manipulation of Bonds ~ Diminishment of the Emotional - Weakens, but does not break an extant emotional bond.

Borkskin, Son - It hardens in response to physical trauma.

History/Backstory: Every dog has his day.

Translation - To be written later.

Special: Goes by the alternate name of Dr. Doomdog, but nobody knows this BECAUSE HE IS A DOG AND CANNOT TALK.
    The poster formerly known as Daiyoukai Ramza.

Working on Magical Girl Selma, and I've basically made her into Sailor Moon if Sailor Moon claimed she got her powers from an Axolotl deity named Jormundandy that only she can see and hear. And she regularly and openly converses with in public.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Name: Selma St. Johns

Race: Human

Appearance:

Class: Sorcerer

Items:

Mundus lvl:

Body lvl: 10

Soul lvl: 50

Mind lvl: 15

Skills:

Body Skills:

Blessing of Jormundandy - Due to being empowered by Jormundandy, Selma was granted a blessing in the form of enhanced endurance, allowing her to remain active and cast spells for longer than normal. It also reduces the amount of time she needs to sleep, allowing her more time to perform tasks or simply enjoy life.

Soul Skills:

Magic Transformation Action - According to Selma, she needs to transform from her normal form to her "Protector of Humanity" form
    to use her magic abilities. To transform into the "Protector of Humanity", Selma performs a long transformation sequence which transforms whatever she's wearing into her "Protector of Humanity" uniform. Strangely, when performing the sequence, Selma is invulnerable from harm or having the sequence halted until it is complete, at which point she becomes vulnerable again, though she also is unable to halt the transformation herself and must see it to completion.

Protector's Bow - Selma holds her arm extended before her, causing a bow of light to form in the extended hand. Using her other hand, she draws back the light bowstring, causing an arrow of light to form. Releasing the bowstring sends the light arrow flying forward to strike her opponent for great damage. However, the arrow acts like a real arrow, so it only flies in the direction its fired, meaning it can be dodged or blocked.

Chains of Love - This is a basic entrapping spell in which she summons golden manacles which attempt to latch themselves on the opponent's wrists, ankles, and necks. If they succeed, the manacles manifest glowing chains which connect to the ground, locking down the opponent. They have a limited range once summoned, and have to quickly latch onto the opponent before vanishing.

Flames of Passion - Selma performs a hand gesture, causing a magical sigil to appear in the air before her from which a powerful gout of green flame is released to burn the target with magical flames.

Jormundandy's Tiara - Selma's strongest technique, she performs intricate motions with her hands before her forehead that causes the tiara she wears to begin glowing. She removes it once it begins glowing, and this causes it to transform into a glowing disc, which is then tossed at the opponent. Getting struck by Jormundandy's Tiara causes great damage to the opponent, and can destroy weaker enemies on the spot, disintegrating them into moondust. However, its significant set-up time and magic cost leaves her to normally save it for the end of the fight, commonly using it after locking her opponent in place with the Chains of Love so they can't dodge.

Mind Skills:

Sixth Sense - Another skill given to Selma by Jormundandy is an empathic ability she states is her "sixth sense", which allows her to sense thr emotions of those around her, specifically those with malicious intent toward her or those she cares about. She can also use it to divine people hiding under mundane disguises or hiding behind walls/in items/etc., though this part of it can be fooled by magical or psychic means.

History/Backstory: For most of her life, Selma St. Johns was an unassuming girl from a normal family. They weren't wealthy, but they weren't poor either, they were comfortable. And Selma had to admit, despite the state of the world, she was content with her existence. Had things kept going, Selma would have eventually gone into the same line of work as her parents, maybe settle down, and live a completely normal life.

However, that all changed one night when she had a dream, or as she states, a vision. In this vision she was drawn into what seemed to be an alternate dimension to float before a titanic axolotl. As she tried to come to terms with the massive amphibian she was floating before, he turned one of his eyes, which was as large as Selma herself, and began to transmit his words directly into her mind. He explained that his name was Jormundandy, and that he was an overseer of life throught the universe. That it had been eons (from humanity's perspective) since he had looked upon Earth, but when he did he had seen the state humanity was in. That unfortunately he couldn't help directly, but that he could grant special humans the power to do something, transforming them into the "Protectors of Humanity".

He told Selma that she was one of those special humans, and it was up to her to find her fellow "Protectors" and to stop what was happening to humanity and the world as a whole. Reaching out with one of his long, thin digit, Jormundandy gently rested the tip of it against Selma's head. When he did so, she felt the power he was bequeathing upon her flow through her body like a roaring fire. As the power flowed into her, Jormundandy told her that it was up to her to lead the Protectors of Humanity and ensure the safety of humanity before darkness overtook her.

When Selma woke up, she told her parents about her vision of Jormundandy and his mandate that she needed to find a group of fellow special people to protect and save humanity from what was happening. They didn't believe her, and told her it was just a dream. But it wasn't, Selma was certain of that. That she was one of the chosen of Jormundandy the Axolotl Overseer of Life Through the Universe. And that, together with the other Protectors of Humanity, she would save humanity from the Ruin and anything else that threatens it.

Special:

- Selma honestly believes in the great and benevolent Axolotl diety Jormundandy, whom she claims is the source of her enhanced endurance, magic talents, and empathic ability. She also talks to him for advice or just to chat, though only she can hear and 'see' him when doing so, and tends to do so even when around others who can't.
    - She takes her "Jormundandy-mandated" duty of protecting humanity seriously, and will do what she needs to protect them and find her fellow 'Protectors'. No matter what anyone says.
    - Selma is not crazy. Jormundandy himself says so.

Tunes:
    - Character Theme: "Fighting the Enemy" - Sailor Moon OST
    - Transformation Theme: "Moon Prism Power, Make Up" - Sailor Moon Crystal OST
    - Jormundandy's Tiara Theme: "Moon Tiara Action"

Alright, I've basically completed Selma St. Johns, Magical Girl (minus items, but that isn't important for the character at the moment). So, which version do you think I should use?
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

The bio says Selma, but I'm getting major Dory vibes. Interesting.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Alright, I've basically completed Selma St. Johns, Magical Girl (minus items, but that isn't important for the character at the moment). So, which version do you think I should use?
    Personally, I prefer the first one. Seems a bit more grounded in the setting while the second one seems a bit, for lack of a better term no disrespect is intended, gimmicky.

But I mean if we've got a nuclear psychic dog and wrestler maybe gimmicks is more inkeeping with the tone of the party.

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    I personally prefer the 1st one, but then I'm biased against standard magical girls.
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Retired Overlord

If you can feel that staying human is worthwhile,
    even when it can't have any result whatever,
    you've beaten them.

Stats and You
    Every PC has three core stats that measure their strengths and, by extension, skills in the world. They are Body, Mind and Soul.

Body
    Represents Physical Abilities and The Manipulation of Life Force. Stat Score determines overall physical ability. (Strength, speed, endurance). Mundus Points in Body/Ki grant access to ki manipulation...further strengthening physical stats and granting advanced combat skills using life force.

Mind
    Represents mental strength and technical prowess. Intelligence, Psychic abilities and compatibility with technology and "machina". Mundus points grant access to machina, tinkering skills and mental abilities.

Soul
    Represents spirtual and Magical potential. Stat determines spirital strength/defense and aptitude in use of magical powers. Mundus points grant access to magic schools and increase magical power.

At the beginning of the game you are given 75 points in which to split between the 3 stats. Every 10 points placed in a stat allows access to create a technique or skill linked to that stat that will increase in power as you put more points into that stat. However, initially all three stats at capped at 50 points max. To increase this cap....you'll need to increase your Mundus Level.

Mundus and You

In Oblitus Magia, Mundus is the combined energies of an individual, their being, their essence. Every being, physical and magical...possessed a Mundus Level that represents the limit of their power.

Mundus is the single most important stat in the game, as it denotes your characters overall potential versus the horrors that lay in store.

Humans start out at 0, zero, nothing. Against what awaits you are not even worthy of attention....and yet, should you earn the fortune of increasing your mundus...

Every time you level your Mundus(Done in very specific story points), you're given the option to increase the cap on one of your stats by 50...which in turn allows more points, which means more skills and stronger skills of that stat type.

As a Rule of Thumb, the enemies you face will have a mundus level...revealed or otherwise, and the more the difference between theirs and yours....the greater the gap to overcome in eithers favor. Best be wary....and take caution over valor.