Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

It'll be... interesting to play/write a character that doesn't/can't talk. It's something I've always wanted to try, but never got the chance.

Oddly, even though I usually go through 10 billion character ideas with RPGs before finally settling on one, I'm 100% satisfied with Kaiser, despite him being, like... only the 2nd idea I've had.

Just gotta do a bunch of drugs and write his history.
    The poster formerly known as Daiyoukai Ramza.

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Alright, I've basically completed Selma St. Johns, Magical Girl (minus items, but that isn't important for the character at the moment). So, which version do you think I should use?
    I personally prefer the 1st one, but then I'm biased against standard magical girls.
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    I personally prefer the 1st one, but then I'm biased against standard magical girls.
    I actually enjoy the Magical Girl genre, hadn't considered it as an option fro this RPG.

Speaking of which, I'm wondering if there is some way to make my character more interesting. If anyone has a suggestion, I'm open to hearing it.
    Last edited by Tami; 06-22-2020 at 08:14 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Speaking of which, I'm wondering if there is some way to make my character more interesting. If anyone has a suggestion, I'm open to hearing it.
    I guess my first question would be what you want to do with the character? Is his projected arc one of him having his morals tested and come through the victor? Do you want him to change? If so, how?

Your guy is... well, from the profile, he's moral, virtuous and all that. You haven't actually put much in terms of what his actual personality is like into the profile. Might be a good place to access him better.

Like, what does he like? What doesn't he like? What makes him angry? What does he do to unwind?

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I guess my first question would be what you want to do with the character? Is his projected arc one of him having his morals tested and come through the victor? Do you want him to change? If so, how?

Your guy is... well, from the profile, he's moral, virtuous and all that. You haven't actually put much in terms of what his actual personality is like into the profile. Might be a good place to access him better.

Like, what does he like? What doesn't he like? What makes him angry? What does he do to unwind?
    Good points. I'll think on them. I do want to make him more complex. Moral, to an extent, virtuous? Not so much so. I may have gone too far in one direction. Thanks Nik.

Good points. I'll think on them. I do want to make him more complex. Moral, to an extent, virtuous? Not so much so. I may have gone too far in one direction. Thanks Nik.
    You literally have it his bio that people call him "The Saint" because he's so good, he exclusively tries to save downtrodden children and refuses money and the like.

That's a pretty big set of checks in the "virtuous" and "moral" boxes.

Retired Overlord

You can go with either choice Dog, but in the case of the latter....I'd have to make at least one request.

Unless you have something special planned beyond the backstory, Extra Dimensional Cosmic Entities should prob be handled by the GM....have to slip it in the cosmology somewhere afterall.

You literally have it his bio that people call him "The Saint" because he's so good, he exclusively tries to save downtrodden children and refuses money and the like.

That's a pretty big set of checks in the "virtuous" and "moral" boxes.
    I know, that's why I need to rethink this. Still, being called a Saint isn't always a sign of being really good. Example: The Saint (Simon Templar)

Templar's targets include corrupt politicians, warmongers, and other low life. "He claims he's a Robin Hood," says one victim, "but to me he's just a robber and a hood."[2] Robin Hood appears to be one inspiration for the character; Templar stories were often promoted as featuring "The Robin Hood of modern crime," and this phrase to describe Templar appears in several stories. A term used by Templar to describe his acquisitions is "boodle," a term also applied to the short story collection.
    In a sense, this is sort of an inspiration for my character. Though not entirely.

I know, that's why I need to rethink this. Still, being called a Saint isn't always a sign of being really good. Example: The Saint (Simon Templar)

In a sense, this is sort of an inspiration for my character. Though not entirely.
    See, you choose an odd paragraph there. Him being "the Robin Hood of modern crime," doesn't imply moral ambiguity. Stealing from "corrupt politicians, warmongers, and other low life," is not an immoral action to my mind.

Now, the second paragraph in the same article is much more indicative of moral ambiguity.

The Saint has a dark side, as he is willing to ruin the lives of the "ungodly," and even kill them, if he feels that more innocent lives can be saved. In the early books, Templar refers to this as murder, although he considers his actions justified and righteous, a view usually shared by partners and colleagues. Several adventures centre on his intention to kill. (For example, "Arizona" in The Saint Goes West has Templar planning to kill a Nazi scientist.)
    Like, murdering people is not generally good. That provokes a much larger question about the type of man your Saint is. Does he kill? Whom would he kill and why?

See, you choose an odd paragraph there. Him being "the Robin Hood of modern crime," doesn't imply moral ambiguity. Stealing from "corrupt politicians, warmongers, and other low life," is not an immoral action to my mind.

Now, the second paragraph in the same article is much more indicative of moral ambiguity.

Like, murdering people is not generally good. That provokes a much larger question about the type of man your Saint is. Does he kill? Whom would he kill and why?
    I'm not saying Matthias would go that far....maybe, not sure. He would have no love for the wealthy or the authorities. Aside from that, I'm not sure yet.

I would not be adverse to him having that kind of Moral Ambiguity, just not sure how far to take it yet or how it best manifests.
    Last edited by Tami; 06-22-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Been thinking it over, and I believe I'll stick with Brick Fist Selma over Magical Girl Selma. She has a ready-made story arc in finding her surrogate family, a character arc in opening up and getting close to the other PCs, and I can always compromise on the Brick Fist or Magical Girl by going the Fairy Tail route and making her a Magical Brick Fist who supplements her Brick Fist-ery with magical spells/runes/etc.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

A couple of quick questions:

How long has it been since Center A-9 'fell' to the ruin?

How officially 'ruined' was it?
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Retired Overlord

Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    A couple of quick questions:

How long has it been since Center A-9 'fell' to the ruin?

How officially 'ruined' was it?
    The answer to both of the above is "whatever the authority tells you"....it would seem it only just happened, but who knows....the memory loss doesn't help matters.

And how ruined is the ruins from the ruin you say?

You'll find out...eventually. *whistles*

I had planned for Selma and her magic double to use this move, but it'd be hilarious if Kinu and Selma did it to someone, with Selma getting as into Kinu's professional wrestler madness as Kinu herself.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Are you like, just stapling bits and pieces of other profiles to your own or something?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan