Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Retired Overlord

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    I imagine Sandman enjoys Owen, since every Lovecraftian story needs a detective.
    Yes, I need someone grounded like Owen to brea...carry the party.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    If your proposed similarities are based on fighting style, I don't think any of them are particularly similar to Selma.

- Xia: Classically trained martial artist with sword training
    - Kinu: Literally a pro wrestler
    - Arx: Has dragon powers and works like a mini juggernaut
    - Selma: Generally a self-taught brawler who can manifest a clone

I don't see the fusion myself.
    Me neither, beyond the vaguest "they use hand-to-hand combat" connection with Kinu and Xia. Xia is master-trained martial artist with sword skills, Kinu is a trained pro wrestler who can mildly warp reality, and Selma is a self-taught brawler whose entire style is "shonen protagonist/low-level Taskmaster." Only, unlike Taskmaster, she can't body read her opponents, and she has to see moves in-person/have them used on her to learn them (so no watching clips to learn moves). She also can't learn to use weapon that way. As for Arx, they really have nothing in common combat-wise.

In regards to techniques, the most we've got is Kinu's "Hard Sell, Hard Return", Arx's "?!?!?!?", and Selma's "Second Wind". But even then, they're functionally different. Kinu's is basically "Hulking Up", Arc's is "I'm the Juggernaut Bitch!", and Selma's is "I'm Fighting For My Friends/Crew/Family etc!".
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Retired Overlord

Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    Can someone looks over these for issues or clarifications?

Mundus Rank

• Body: 05
    • Mind: 20
      • Encode Memory - "I can make a copy of my memories and convert them into a memory crystal, which can be read and processed by a machine (as though it were a quantum memory chip) or directly absorbed and experienced by anyone capable of telepathic communication."
      • Telekinetic Flight - "I've been told that I may have a talent for moving things with my mind; thus far, it seems that 'things' refers only to myself and what I'm carrying. Which, given how rough actually moving at a decent pace can be, is probably a hidden blessing."

• Soul: 50
      • Evanesce - "In an instant, I can make it so that light travels through me and my personal effects unimpeded rendering both me and said effects invisible. No form of natural light can defeat this invisibility; whether some as-of-yet unknown form of supernatural light is a matter I'd be curious to discover- in a safe, peaceful environment."
      • Lightweaving - "To make anything elaborate or complex with it takes a bit, but I can take ambient light and solidify it, forming it into fibrous strands that I can simply will into a shape of my choosing- or alternatively, let another manipulate into a shape of their choosing. Either way, the clothes and other textile material made from this fabric are literally light-weight, yet highly durable and resilient."
      • Radiant Devourer - "I consume- or, to be more accurate- absorb light and other forms of radiant energy, using the energy thusly obtained to restore lost stamina or fuel my other abilities. It's a shame that light makes for such a light meal though, or else I may very well be able to live off the stuff."
      • Radiant Genesis - "If I can touch it, I can make light emanate from it- of type and intensity as I will. This bestowed light lasts as long as I remain in contact with its bearer, or up to a day beyond my reach- after which it fades."
      • Radiant Sight - "As I bear and can cause others to bear, so too can I bear witness; my eyes can perceive- and my mind process and interpret- all carriers and forms of radiant energy."

*arms raised*

*Praise the Sun*

Powerwise through.....is there any upper limit on the Radiant Genesis ability? And can it be used the same as regular light with the Devourer skill?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Me neither, beyond the vaguest "they use hand-to-hand combat" connection with Kinu and Xia. Xia is master-trained martial artist with sword skills, Kinu is a trained pro wrestler who can mildly warp reality, and Selma is a self-taught brawler whose entire style is "shonen protagonist/low-level Taskmaster." Only, unlike Taskmaster, she can't body read her opponents, and she has to see moves in-person/have them used on her to learn them (so no watching clips to learn moves). She also can't learn to use weapon that way. As for Arx, they really have nothing in common combat-wise.

In regards to techniques, the most we've got is Kinu's "Hard Sell, Hard Return", Arx's "?!?!?!?", and Selma's "Second Wind". But even then, they're functionally different. Kinu's is basically "Hulking Up", Arc's is "I'm the Juggernaut Bitch!", and Selma's is "I'm Fighting For My Friends/Crew/Family etc!".
    So far everyone's got a fairly unique approach to this game after all; just had a vibe there might be some overlap. So hey! If you feel like they're different, then I'll take your word for it.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Can someone looks over these for issues or clarifications?

Mundus Rank

• Body: 05
    • Mind: 20
      • Encode Memory - "I can make a copy of my memories and convert them into a memory crystal, which can be read and processed by a machine (as though it were a quantum memory chip) or directly absorbed and experienced by anyone capable of telepathic communication."
      • Telekinetic Flight - "I've been told that I may have a talent for moving things with my mind; thus far, it seems that 'things' refers only to myself and what I'm carrying. Which, given how rough actually moving at a decent pace can be, is probably a hidden blessing."

• Soul: 50
      • Evanesce - "In an instant, I can make it so that light travels through me and my personal effects unimpeded rendering both me and said effects invisible. No form of natural light can defeat this invisibility; whether some as-of-yet unknown form of supernatural light is a matter I'd be curious to discover- in a safe, peaceful environment."
      • Lightweaving - "To make anything elaborate or complex with it takes a bit, but I can take ambient light and solidify it, forming it into fibrous strands that I can simply will into a shape of my choosing- or alternatively, let another manipulate into a shape of their choosing. Either way, the clothes and other textile material made from this fabric are literally light-weight, yet highly durable and resilient."
      • Radiant Devourer - "I consume- or, to be more accurate- absorb light and other forms of radiant energy, using the energy thusly obtained to restore lost stamina or fuel my other abilities. It's a shame that light makes for such a light meal though, or else I may very well be able to live off the stuff."
      • Radiant Genesis - "If I can touch it, I can make light emanate from it- of type and intensity as I will. This bestowed light lasts as long as I remain in contact with its bearer, or up to a day beyond my reach- after which it fades."
      • Radiant Sight - "As I bear and can cause others to bear, so too can I bear witness; my eyes can perceive- and my mind process and interpret- all carriers and forms of radiant energy."

Well, the theme certainly is appropriate for a Lightbringer. The descriptions being written in the first person gives them a bit of unique flavour as well - assuming Lucifer is shooting straight with the reader.

Encode Memory is a nice standout ability. Making portable memories in this setting where truth is being rewritten by higher-ups will likely come in handy

If Lucifer used Radiant Genesis in conjunction with Radiant Devourer, would that function more as a transfer of light/energy from one source to another?

I hate to be obtuse or overly semantic as well, but Radiant Energy in the context of RP, what sort of examples would you use outside of light?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of HellÂ’s Brigade View Post
    Thoughts on Owen,? Need to flush him out a bit? Powers too much?

ThatÂ’s directed at players and GM, by the way.
    Along with Fan Xia, it looks like we got our straightman in a cast with a bunch of weirdos. A more cerebral presentation and skillset in a world where things are going missing will be quite a meaty role to play, since there seems to be an overarching mystery to this setting, and who better to dig into it, or perhaps go too deep?

I suppose it's subject to the story you want to tell, but I'm personally wondering what drove him towards being a Private Eye, and if he's crossed paths with the Witch organization proper. You'd think with his pedigree he'd go the 'legit' route, but he's staying outside of that circle for a particular reason, I imagine.

The gamplay stuff I'll leave to our GM - specifically the limits of Owen's psychokinesis.

Not expecting this to be acceptable in any way (especially this late in), but I had fun making a random character for this so just wanted to put it here:

Name: Irriana

Race: Human

Appearance:

photo1593040969879.jpg

Class: Teenager On The Run

Items: Backpack Of Everyday Things

Mundus lvl: 0

Body lvl: 0
    Soul lvl: 35
    Mind lvl: 40

History/Backstory:

The clock turns.

Heartbeats puncuate a wailing cry. She wakes and does not see, but she remembers and grieves.

The clock turns faster, matching pace with the heartbeats.

Colors are brighter, sounds are sharper, but despite her elation, nothing holds her interest for long. She remembers and struggles to hold onto the feeling as it slips away.

The hands of the clock tire. They slow, and she tries to catch her breath, but she can't.

She turns her head the other way. Her fingers wrap around the fur, fuzzy and soft.

She feels the weight, the warmth. The subtle horror filling in the holes left by confusion.

Tears filled her vision, the past blurred into the present.

But these were tears of rage, of insanity.

The clock stops.

The wailing cries are now screams. But are these the screams from her memory or the present? She does not know or care. All she cares about is at her feet, pleading.

Pleading, screaming. The sounds takes on a mirthful nature. It's her that the sounds emanate from. Perhaps it's her everything emanates from.

The clock begins to move backwards. The future rushes to meet the present, connecting her to herself so she can finally remember.

Remember and understand.

She sleeps once more, but this sleep is filled with dread knowledge, a dream of things to come.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Irriana doesn't remember much of her relocation, or seemingly much of the things in her life, really.

A high school dropout that was probably not missed after her disappearance as much as she should have been, she would have left behind a trail of questions for those interested in the arcane. Usually, younglings with magical potential are filtered from a young age, but Irriana never demonstrated magical talent when she was a child...or did she?

People who interact with her for a few weeks get the impression that she's cheerful overall, hardworking, and occassionally surprisingly smart, but very forgetful, and sometimes prone to behaving oddly. They just can't put their finger on it.

Very few have interacted with her for longer than that, because she doesn't tend to stay around very long. Those that have gotten to know her a little better report her demonstrating paranioa, anxiety, and being emotionally detached, over a period of time. Strange.

It used to confuse her too, but she's been figuring out the truth over the last few years since the last incident and has a general agreement with herself to keep things under wraps.

Skills:

Kralmria's Revenge

"Some secrets are best locked away forever. When the gates are opened and emotions pour out, all that remains is a cold, deadly void...and her. Never forget whom you owe your insignificant existence to."

Kralmria's fury manifests as her tentacles from deep within her prison.
    She can produce these from any surface within Irriana's vicinity (though most commonly, directly from her), and they are prehensile, but utterly uncontrollable if more than the controllable limit are summoned, and will attack anything besides Irriana herself.
    Limits:
    - Max tentacle length = SoulLvl/10 meters (Current: 3.5m)
    - Max tentacle summon range = 2+SoulLvl/100 meters, rounded up (Current: 3m)
    - Max duration = SoulLvl/20 seconds (Current: 1.5s)
    - Max tentacles = SoulLvl/5 (Current: 7)
    - Max controllable tentacles = 1 + SoulLvl/100 , rounded up (Current: 2)
    - Tentacle strength = SoulLvl (Current: 35)
    - Tentacle durability = SoulLvl/2 (Current: 17)
    - Cooldown = 50/SoulLvl hours (Current: 1h 25m)

Leontoeides' Betrayal

"A place of comfort can turn to a place of darkness and dread in an instant. In truth, perhaps Leontoeides was the protector that poor Arabella could never have."
    "My last kitty was sad and left, so I got a new one! He'll make you very happy!" - Arabella

Arabella summons a happy little feline familiar that spreads happiness with warm and fuzzy contact that induce drowsiness and eventually sleep in beings that it latches onto for long enough.
    When not observed by Arabella, Leontoeides instantly transforms into a shadowy form and violently attacks anything in sight at high speed.
    Limits:
    - Leontoeides will NOT be able to perform a violent attack when Arabella is watching.
    - Sleep induction power = (SoulLvl+MindLvl)/2 (Current: 37)
    - Kitty Body Lvl = SoulLvl (Current: 35)
    - Duration: SoulLvl minutes, or until killed (Current: 35m)
    - Cooldown: Duration*2 (Current: 70m)

Calypso

"O sweet child, how can you hide from me, when I'm always inside you?"

Irriana is swallowed by her fear. In her place is a grotesque, shapeshifting phobophage.
    The phobophage induces more fear the longer it exists. Physical attacks directed at the phobophage damages the phobophage.
    Once the duration ends or the phobophage is destroyed, she dissapears and Irriana reappears.
    On reappearing Irriana can let loose a bolt of psychic energy based on how long she had been swallowed by her fear. This dissappates in 4 seconds if not used.
    Damage significantly in excess of what the phobophage is capable of withstanding can render Irriana unconcious.
    Limits:
    - Max duration = 1 + MindLvl/100 seconds (Current: 2s)
    - Phobophage resistance to damage = MindLvl/10 (Current: 4)
    - Psychic bolt damage = MindLvl/10 to MindLvl/2 (Current: 4-20)
    - Cooldown = 50/MindLvl hours (Current: 1h 15m)

Locus Tempus

"I'm the gatekeeper around here. The system admin, so to speak. What this means is, nothing much happens that I don't know about, so talk to me first."

Estrid's uncanny ability react to things seemingly before they happen may seem like magic to some, but it really speaks volumes about her spacial awareness and multitasking skills, and not her ability to chant dramatically in latin.
    It doesn't hurt that it often let's her respond to those things as well, assuming she has the physical ability to do so.
    Effects: Ability to anticipate the motion and trajectories of all tangible objects within her vicinity and respond to them with a small temporary bonus to her Body stat.
    Limits:
    - Max seconds into the future = 1 + MindLvl/100, rounded up (Current: 2s)
    - Bonus to body stat = 2+SoulLvl/100, rounded up (Current: 3)
    - Duration(seconds) = 9+MindLvl/100, rounded up (Current: 10s)
    - Cooldown = 300/MindLvl hours (Current: 7h 30 )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sol_M; 06-27-2020 at 05:57 AM.

Arx would welcome Irriana wholeheartedly... she needs more magic users to serve as a food source.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

...heh, Owen and Selma both have ablities named Second Wind.

Granted, they do explicitly different things, but just saying the overlap may get confusing when actions stack up.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Well, the theme certainly is appropriate for a Lightbringer. The descriptions being written in the first person gives them a bit of unique flavour as well - assuming Lucifer is shooting straight with the reader.

Encode Memory is a nice standout ability. Making portable memories in this setting where truth is being rewritten by higher-ups will likely come in handy

If Lucifer used Radiant Genesis in conjunction with Radiant Devourer, would that function more as a transfer of light/energy from one source to another?

I hate to be obtuse or overly semantic as well, but Radiant Energy in the context of RP, what sort of examples would you use outside of light?

Along with Fan Xia, it looks like we got our straightman in a cast with a bunch of weirdos. A more cerebral presentation and skillset in a world where things are going missing will be quite a meaty role to play, since there seems to be an overarching mystery to this setting, and who better to dig into it, or perhaps go too deep?

I suppose it's subject to the story you want to tell, but I'm personally wondering what drove him towards being a Private Eye, and if he's crossed paths with the Witch organization proper. You'd think with his pedigree he'd go the 'legit' route, but he's staying outside of that circle for a particular reason, I imagine.

The gamplay stuff I'll leave to our GM - specifically the limits of Owen's psychokinesis.
    With a retired witch as a mother, Owen should have some minor connection to the Witch’s proper. What that is, who knows. Cordial, hostile, or indifferent. As to legit.....I’d like to think he has an okay relationship with whatever passes for Police in the game. I figure he didn’t go mainstream mainly because he wanted a more...person to person involvement in cases, especially after his parents death. He wants truth, no what he’s told is the truth. Less bureaucratic red tape.

I wanted to play less a puncher and more a thinker this time around. Hopefully I’ll pull it off.
    Last edited by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade; 06-24-2020 at 06:01 PM.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Granted, they do explicitly different things, but just saying the overlap may get confusing when actions stack up.
    I’ll change mine. I pretty much used the DND ability as a kind of basis.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    , especially after his Karen death. .
    He demanded to speak to the manager one too many times.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    He demanded to speak to the manager one too many times.

Stupid auto correct.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Thoughts on Owen,? Need to flush him out a bit? Powers too much?
    I'm curious on how the opening posts will play out, as there's a lot being kept close to the vest here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol_M View Post
    Not expecting this to be acceptable in any way (especially this late in), but I had fun making a random character for this so just wanted to put it here:
    There's a number of people that aren't finished yet, so don't count yourself out just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Arx would welcome Irriana wholeheartedly... she needs more magic users to serve as a food source.
    *Disappears like Niles*

I’ll change mine. I pretty much used the DND ability as a kind of basis.
    Selma's fits more with the literal meaning of second wind.

While I've seen abilities named second wind act like Owen's, it feels more like a Lesser Regeneration namewise, personally.
    This signature intentionally left blank.

I'm curious on how the opening posts will play out, as there's a lot being kept close to the vest here.

There's a number of people that aren't finished yet, so don't count yourself out just yet.

*Disappears like Niles*

Selma's fits more with the literal meaning of second wind.

While I've seen abilities named second wind act like Owen's, it feels more like a Lesser Regeneration namewise, personally.
    Good point.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

I've updated Matt's backstory. Tomorrow, I'll finish up the skills and the rest of the bio.
    Last edited by Tami; 06-24-2020 at 07:16 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.