Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thoughts on my guy? This time no edge lord or ducking the party over. Going back to classic Chou, as in decent guy just doing best to save the day. And this time no interest in love games.

Oh and seriously, no intention of dying.

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    Powerwise through.....is there any upper limit on the Radiant Genesis ability?
    If we're operating at human(ish) levels:

Presuming this is the olympics of light production, where Lucifer would have enough prep to have the energy for it, the absolute upper limit would probably be somewhere in the high-end flood lamp range.

More realistically, you're looking at midrange street lamp level light as an upper limit.

If we're not operating at well above human(ish) levels, then I would have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    And can it be used the same as regular light with the Devourer skill?
    Not to any useful effect that I can think of, but technically it can.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Encode Memory is a nice standout ability. Making portable memories in this setting where truth is being rewritten by higher-ups will likely come in handy
    Hopefully. Though if it doesn't work out, and you see my character become as the other bearer of his name, your next promo is going to have to include the line.

If Lucifer used Radiant Genesis in conjunction with Radiant Devourer, would that function more as a transfer of light/energy from one source to another?
    In theory it could, though any practical use can I think of (aside from straight up laughing off light based attacks against him) is hampered by the fact that trying to use the Devourer ability to absorb light from the Genesis ability is at absolute best still not as efficient as simply not using the Genesis ability in the first place.

I hate to be obtuse or overly semantic as well, but Radiant Energy in the context of RP, what sort of examples would you use outside of light?
    The only other real source of radiant energy would be gravity waves, but those probably won't come up (definitely not from me).
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

First of around three or four prequel pieces I'm writing to get a feel for Xia.

Xia learned quickly to avoid those Witches. She was hiding behind a dumpster when she witnessed one of them burn a young boy who stole some bread from a store. His wails for mercy were cut short, leaving nothing but a pile of ash and brief blot on the canvas that was Xia's memory.

Living on the streets was hard enough. Food was hard to come by, there was little in the way of shelter - comfy or otherwise - and safety was fleeting. She also learned quickly to sleep with one eye open. Some nights, that was literal. She could never stay in one place for very long. Between random people trying to hurt her and those Witches wanting to catch her and throw her in the Orphanage, staying still was not an option.

Neither was trusting people. People could hurt her. People could turn her into one of those Witches. Witches would burn her like that boy. No good. She had to keep moving. She had to stay hidden. As she got older, those two things got harder. She needed more food, water, new clothes, new shoes, to bathe more regularly. The simple needs of life threaten to make her easier to capture. She couldn't just not have those things. She had to take more risks to get what she needed. Sleeping during the day to steal during the night was her new way of life.

"Well, well. What do we have here?"

The voice caught her by surprise. She whirled around to face the speaker, a man, head on. He... was dressed weird. He was a man, but he wore a blue dress and brown long socks. He had his hair tucked in this white... head sock things and he had black things on his wrists. He looked weird. Xia tried to back away, but the wall behind her kept her hemmed in between rock and hard place. She was trapped. Witches were going to get her. She was going to die!

"No hurt," she murmured helplessly.

"Hm? Hurt?" The weird man smiled and reached into a bag that was slung over his shoulder. He pulled out a piece of bread and a slice of cheese. "I don't mean to hurt you. But, young girls shouldn't be living on the street like this."

She was wary. Strangers hurt. Strangers turn her in. Strangers get her killed. But, the smell of fresh bread and cheese made her stomach growl. She hadn't eaten that day yet and it was almost nighttime. She had to stay up all day to stay hidden, so she had no chance to get sleep. Tired and hungry.

With very little hesitation, she snatch bread and cheese away and start eating. "Hungry," she said.

The man smiled and moved to stand beside her. "My name is Chan Li. I live not too far from here. Why don't you come with me and get cleaned up?"

"No," she answered between bites. "No trust strange man. Stranger get Xia killed."

His brow furrowed, either out of disappointment or sadness. "I'm sorry to hear that. Was Xia close to you?"

"Me Xia."

He seemed taken aback by her response. "Wa...What grade are you in?" When she furrowed her brow in confusion, he nodded. "I see. You've never been to school, have you?"

"School?" She had heard of school, but never went. School was run by the Admini...Admininst...people in charge. She wanted to avoid them so they couldn't ask her questions. "No school."

"Ah, that's no good. You won't survive out here on your own for much longer, you know."

She glanced at him suspiciously. She had gotten along just fine by herself up until that point. But, if he could give her more food, that would be good. "Give food?" she asked hopefully.

"Yes. I have plenty at my home." He gestured for her to follow him and started walking down the alley she was holed up in. She followed him at a safe distance. Every few step she took was followed by a glance in both directions. This man, Chan Li, was strange. He was also a stranger. She didn't trust him.

"Right here," he said after stopping at the entrance of a normal, boring looking building.

"Wait here. Bring food out," she said in reply.

He nodded. "Of course. I'll be right back."

When he disappear inside, Xia leaned against the wall next to the door and slid until she was sitting against the pavement. It wasn't a long wait before he came back out with a backpack.

"Here. The food should last you a few days, and there's a blanket and pillow there, too."

She took the bag and slipped it over her shoulders. "Thanks. Bye." She turned on her heels and walked away.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    Thoughts on my guy? This time no edge lord or ducking the party over. Going back to classic Chou, as in decent guy just doing best to save the day. And this time no interest in love games.

Oh and seriously, no intention of dying.
    Seems to have an eclectic mix of abilities rooted in - if I'm not mistaken - a Vedic aesthetic given the implied use of of yoga and chakras. Manifestations of the Third Eye will probably be an interesting talking point with the other sensor-types. Particularly Jagrati, since it appears that Levin uses it to push his limits to the point of perhaps seeing too much, while Granny uses it to see just enough.

I think that Mana Ball, Flesh Warding and Pyrotechnics Gloves could use a little more detail, mechanically speaking. What sort of numbers are we throwing around here?

The notes are a nice teaser so far, but curious to what his story is in relation to the greater setting.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Seems to have an eclectic mix of abilities rooted in - if I'm not mistaken - a Vedic aesthetic given the implied use of of yoga and chakras. Manifestations of the Third Eye will probably be an interesting talking point with the other sensor-types. Particularly Jagrati, since it appears that Levin uses it to push his limits to the point of perhaps seeing too much, while Granny uses it to see just enough.
    Jagrati: "He he, slow down young man. You've got your whole life ahead of you, no need to burn it all on making magics here and now,"

Levin: But I seek more, these thoughts and patterns. They enter my brain, molding it. I am compelled, compelled to test myself. It seems like the right thing to do. Besides it is not all magic, I have flame thrower gloves too.

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

For those with post based limitations, how does post balancing work? Is there an understood post / time (or round / turn) equivalency thing going on or what?
    This signature intentionally left blank.

I just have one more skill to add. If anyone wants to comment on the skills I have for Matt so far, I welcome the input.

I might tweak them later on.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    For those with post based limitations, how does post balancing work? Is there an understood post / time (or round / turn) equivalency thing going on or what?
    Well in a game like this, it depends on where you invested your points in, how GM is willing to let fly and post. Depends on scene.

Pretty much type, wait. If accepted continue. In a battle or plot scene the GM allows/disallows/calls fate.

In character interaction depends on players and well reason.

Mainly stick to your guns and aim true.

I know this is directed at players using post based limitations, but I interpreted it as having each player make one post, after which the GM responds to all player actions, then each player makes another post.

Of course, in practice, some people might just post more frequently than others, but at least in combat with an NPC, there's not much scope for making 3-4 posts in a single turn without it being blatantly obvious.
    Last edited by Sol_M; 06-25-2020 at 09:58 AM.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

The way I've done is I declare the action in one post (in this game's case, Xia's intention to meditate), then wait for the GM to post. When the GM posts, then I proceed with how many ever countdown posts there are, one each "round" or series of GM responses. Then I complete the declared action.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Since these questions have been coming up, it's time for...

YUN LAO'S THOUGHTS (about the cast)
    Note: I'm going off the official list on Sandman's post, so if you've updated it on another post, I might not catch it

Fan Xia: A solid wuxia character, and if the amusing notes are an indication of her behavior, then she should be interesting to see in action.

Kinu Ohrai: I've said to Gen personally, but I think it bears repeating: Kinu is probably my favorite so far if only because of the promises of batshit crazy wrestler antics.

Sigourney Estelle: Absolute crap. The creator should be put in a burlap sack and beaten.

Matthias: I like the scavenger angle, especially now that it's somewhat illegal. It should be interesting to see how he acts to society and vice versa.

Owen Stark Calliburn: Solid character and a welcomed Lovecraftian tradition. Unfortunately, he has the potential of being the crazy person wrangler of the group.

Jagrati Bhatt: Reminds me a bit of Nik's Codex character (while my memory has been overridden by irritation of a certain someone's actions derailing the game, I do remember loving everything Nik had posted). I do think the idea of an older character deciding to stop avoiding their "fate" if only to cause some chaos is pretty appealing and I look forward to seeing what Jagrati brings.

Levin Armitage: Not much stated in his personality and history, but I do like how all of his abilities have drawbacks to them and hope we'll see some good old waxing of philosophy.

Ōmu: Second favorite character, probably because Pie has the unfortunate attribute of liking a lot of things I like. Besides, it's hard not to be at least intrigued by the phrase "magical ninja mascot centipede".

Arxiros "Arx" Irosaan: Backstory is simple, yet has so many possibilities. Should be fun seeing a "traditional" monster like a dragon(girl) go against Lovecraftian horrors.

Selma St Johns: We have traditional styles of wuxia, the alternative flair of wrestling, even the fantastic nature of a dragon girl fighter, and now we have the shounen hero who fights for her comrades. Like Xia, the profile holds promise, but it'll be how this new Selma interacts socially and in combat that'll really make her shine.

Morgan Dupont: I really like how troperiffic Morgan is and how much of a trainwreck to sanity she might be to the setting and the others. (Sidenote: Nice to meet a fellow Houseki no Kuni reader/watcher)

Kaiser: I'm not sure how I feel about a dog that can ruin relationships... aw... but he does look like a good boy.

Lucifer Radiare: Definitely playing to the light-bringer motif. Really forward to seeing how some of these abilities play out in-game.

Irriana: I really like Irriana as she plays into the eldritch angle of the game very well. Lots of potential and promise

Decided to add on starter personality tid bits.

As for his stuff.

All forget he has the breath thing ( Whichbis Kenshiros shirt rip from FTNS. He is not that jacked but stronger than normal puny mortal man.)

And his other body art he knows by bio feed back how banged up he actually is. So by default he knows when he needs medicinal aid.

The Gloves: They do not run out of juice when on, due to funky chemistry of a self fueling chemical agent supplying the flame ( should they get damaged, they do not ignite in air but could catch flame if the car of lit. And the stuff is hard to synthesize. Or find.)

But yeah the flames are hot as they are fire and works like an flame thrower.

Magics:

Third Eye: When In ( can tell due to eye open.) he sees intentions and tell tale signs of what’s up. Including anti illusions. Sadly against an Lovecraft Ian horror that’s bad ( the more you see, more your brain hurts. Blood borne has it right. Big enough shock and your head bleeds.)

Mending: Must touch, must focus. It’s slow, it hurts, but it will work.

Flesh Ward: The draw back is it is not a pain killer. As for works, the marker has to be turned on to work ( so a effort to turn on) when on it soaks up damage 3 times ( soak, not a true block or null. So still hurts.)

Mana Ball: He has 40 in soul. And I was thinking this is his first trick he learned.

So a basketball sized ball of energy. Launched one or two handed ( with two hands, faster.) and due to launching, burns the nerves in hands/arms. ( not directly, suicidal to debit are your own flame throwers.)

Speed: Slower than a bullet for now, so dodgable if pay enough attention.

Damage output: Hits twice, the impact which is bludgeoning, and the explosion that burns akin to radiation/micro waves. I will let Sandy decide how potent it is at start like Cleric with TK ( In my school of thought Psychokinesis is more than TK, it’s taking mental energy, manifesting it as real energy for uses. Akira style.)

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    Jagrati Bhatt: Reminds me a bit of Nik's Codex character (while my memory has been overridden by irritation of a certain someone's actions derailing the game, I do remember loving everything Nik had posted). I do think the idea of an older character deciding to stop avoiding their "fate" if only to cause some chaos is pretty appealing and I look forward to seeing what Jagrati brings.
    1) Thank you for the kind words, Codex was a bit all over the place but I am quite proud of some of the work I did in that game.

2) Which character? Because I had two in that game haha. I imagine Georgina because I did way more (and better) work with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    1) Thank you for the kind words, Codex was a bit all over the place but I am quite proud of some of the work I did in that game.

2) Which character? Because I had two in that game haha. I imagine Georgina because I did way more (and better) work with her.
    Oh, I forgot all that. Yeah, I'm talking about Georgina