Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    Because it reads like you have a pattern of effectively saying just that:
    You'd be correct! ... Had I not provided the context to explain why "Selma getting a teacher" would be different. It's almost as if the words that followed what you quoted are important and you're ignoring them.

Funny that.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    You'd be correct! ... Had I not provided the context to explain why "Selma getting a teacher" would be different. It's almost as if the words that followed what you quoted are important and you're ignoring them.

Funny that.
    The words after what I quoted aren't important because the 'point' you're driving at is completely invalid. If anything that was had was truly unique to someone else and not learnable except through study or emulation of said someone else, your point would have meaning. That's not the case, and your point has no meaning - and is, quite frankly condescending and insulting.
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Funny that.
    You seemed to have missed Dog's point.

Dog is saying, if they give Selma a teacher /in their backstory/, outside of the main plot of the game that has yet to happen, this would be a similarity to other characters and would be grounds for you to give them shit about it again, something Noldere is noting you've not exactly been shy about.

Also, I do feel you've been unnecessarily snide about Dog's character in the thread. We're all here to have some fun and similarities in build style doesn't erode the choices of decisions we may come to make in the actual game proper.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 06-28-2020 at 04:02 PM.

Retired Overlord

*Walks into the thread to check on things*

zGHQb4O.jpg

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    *Walks into the thread to check on things*

zGHQb4O.jpg
    Sorry, boss. I'll leave that last one, but refrain from further commentary.
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    You seemed to have missed Dog's point.

Dog is saying, if they give Selma a teacher /in their backstory/ outside of the main plot of the game that has yet to happen, this would be similarity to other characters and would be grounds for you to give them shit about it again, something Noldere is noting you've not exactly been shy about.

Also, I do feel you've been unnecessarily snide about Dog's character in the thread. We're all here to have some fun and similarities in build style doesn't erode the choices of decisions we may come to make in the actual game proper.
    It does however circle back to an earlier point that was, I felt, pretty hard to miss.

That of characters and niches.

So far, the characters have their own niche. A Proper Magical Girl. Super Granny Telephone. Lightguy. Detective Esper, etc. If it looks like I'm being hard on Selma's character, it's because she's the one that has- by myself and others- seemingly failed to find that niche and is dipping into the niches of other characters.

That I'm the only one, for the most part, willing to say anything in discussion about it doesn't help perception.

Though it does seem I missed the backstory tidbit. Thanks! And to respond to that directly:

Sure, my personal opinion on it aside, with a fleshed out backstory that explains the abilities beyond slapping them to her sheet, I'd be 100% fine with that. To go even further, had that happened before, "she's a wuxia dragonborn now", we wouldn't be here.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    The words after what I quoted aren't important because the 'point' you're driving at is completely invalid. If anything that was had was truly unique to someone else and not learnable except through study or emulation of said someone else, your point would have meaning. That's not the case, and your point has no meaning - and is, quite frankly condescending and insulting.
    Save the soapbox. If I was going to be condescending and insulting, I would be.

Arx Inosaan

I think the broader issue - and I admit this also bristles me at times - is just making sure everyone has a unique space in the game. Our player characters are all original characters we've all committed to for some longterm effort, we want them to be noticed by the GM and other players. For this to happen, at a surface level it feels that to, well, roleplay, we each need room to play a role.

It's only natural to get attached to them, and nothing feels worse than feeling absolutely redundant in an ensemble cast, really.

EDIT

It sucks not having a space to contribute, or feeling like, left behind or shoved out of a unique take or space.

Well, so long as we can respect each other and do our due diligence not to step on each others' toes, think we'll be alright. Game's hardly begun, and we're just setting the foundations. So long as we talk to each other we should be good.
    Last edited by grampagen; 06-28-2020 at 04:22 PM.

Save the soapbox. If I was going to be condescending and insulting, I would be.
    I mean, you've not tried to be polite. As I said, you have been consistently snide about it.

By all means, position yourself as the guy fighting for the best interests of everyone, but please don't pretend that you've not been deliberately provocative with how you've expressed it.

I mean, you've not tried to be polite. As I said, you have been consistently snide about it.

By all means, position yourself as the guy fighting for the best interests of everyone, but please don't pretend that you've not been deliberately provocative with how you've expressed it.
    As I said to Noldere, if I wanted to be what you're saying I've been. I'd not try to hide it.

Arx Inosaan

As I said to Noldere, if I wanted to be what you're saying I've been. I'd not try to hide it.
    But you have been. If someone says, "You have been being rude," perhaps consider that your words and actions are being interpreted differently to how you intend them.

In fact, this statement right here /is/ you trying to hide it behind a veneer of "Pssh, that wasn't rude, I can be so much worse,"

Like I said, if you want to discuss people's characters, by all means do so. I am asking that you do it in a way that isn't laced with sarcasm and condescension. If you feel you have not intended those effects then I would advise being more considerate in how you structure your posts to other players.

But you have been. If someone says, "You have been being rude," perhaps consider that your words and actions are being interpreted differently to how you intend them.

In fact, this statement right here /is/ you trying to hide it behind a veneer of "Pssh, that wasn't rude, I can be so much worse,"

Like I said, if you want to discuss people's characters, by all means do so. I am asking that you do it in a way that isn't laced with sarcasm and condescension. If you feel you have not intended those effects then I would advise being more considerate in how you structure your posts to other players.
    It was actually me saying that how I've been talking, is how I talk normally and if I was trying to do so intentionally, "it'd be much worse". If you feel how I normally respond to things is overly sarcastic and condescending, I mean... sorry?

That said, going forward, I'll be sure to work on sugar coating things a bit more.

Fair enough?

Arx Inosaan

It was actually me saying that how I've been talking, is how I talk normally and if I was trying to do so intentionally, "it'd be much worse". If you feel how I normally respond to things is overly sarcastic and condescending, I mean... sorry?

That said, going forward, I'll be sure to work on sugar coating things a bit more.

Fair enough?
    If that's what you're willing to concede to then I'll happily accept it.

Retired Overlord

Alright, enough of this back and forth. Your god....*cough* your gm commands it.

Nik: Whatever meaning is behind Cthu comments, I honestly think the issue just comes down to him trying to convey something that naturally comes off in a way that stings. The entire point seems to be less that Dog is "ripping people off" and more that dogs character is crossing into a lot of the existing niches....which isn't against the rules, but will likely hinder the development of an identity for said character in the future. If anything I can agree with the idea of trying to make the cast as diverse as possible in skill sets/backstories/etc.

Not to mention this "intent witch hunt" doesn't seem to be going anywhere......trying to imply another ultimate intent when they themselves say they didn't intend it is just gonna end in a bad game of post tennis.

Cthu: Maybe be more direct in your concerns, your flavor of dialogue is easily mistranslated......but I'm also terrible at getting my point across so don't look at me for advise.

Edit: Damn it how am I suppose to mediate if you solve your problem before I can post....made me get my gm hat on....*grumble*

Keeping track of the roster before we hit the ground running.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    1) Survivor Start: Your a Refuge from A-9, freshly arrived with very little memory of the ordeal. While being ushered through relocation processing with hundreds of others you are picked from the crowd and separated into a side area with a group of others with no obvious reason given. At the start of the RP your currently waiting with other refuges, both PC and NPC, in confinement.
    Selma
    Sigourney
    Lucifer

2) Criminal Start: Your Luck ran out on the streets of A-11....weither to some bout of misfortune, a witch happening by or a concern citizen...you've been taken in for questioning in regards to crimes committed or simply for a background check that went wrong. Your now in a cell with many others...awaiting your fate.
    Matthias
    Jagrati
    Xia
    Omu
    Arxiros

3) Citizen Start: Your just in the wrong place at the wrong time....maybe came to see the refuges, or maybe your there on business. Whatever the case....Your in the adminstratum Confinement Office/Wing when things go down....and your swept up in what follows.
    Levin
    Owen
    Kinu
    Morgen

Undecided

Kaiser
    Irriana
    Jacob
    Last edited by grampagen; 06-28-2020 at 09:08 PM.