Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    So stupid sexy brick chick again, a common squishy trait. ( I kid)

Seriously though I like everyone though my fav is the hammer/liquid metal that Yun Lao has. King of pie is close second.
    Not quite a brick chick, but essentially.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    Hmm.....truth be told, I don't want to impede on the characters as you guys want them presented, but even with the concessions made I'm still iffy on the rings.....there is a legit point made, even in its current form it seems a bit too strong for a starting skill. Especially combo'd with the other skill....which also amounts to several skills in one slot.

Listen Nik, I've given it a bit more though....and honestly, I'm wondering if you could go with a different skill? Maybe tone down the 5th one as well. Don't take this the wrong way....I like both ideas, but it seems a bit to much too soon, ya know? I'll offer any help advise I can of course.
    Nah, it's cool. I'll have a think and come up with something else.

What's your general opinion on skill synergy as a whole? If I have a number of skills, is it cool if they can be used in combination or would you rather not?

Like, take Jagrati's magical perception skill and her scrying ability. Is it fair for me to assume that she can remote view someone and also perceive magical/spiritual effects on them as well or is that too much synergy?

To talk about what I'm going for, I'm interested in basically building a defensive/support type character, I'll be very surprised if Jagrati ends up with any offensive abilities in the course of the game.

Let me fire out some general concepts I'm interested in pursuing and you give me an idea of what's an appropriate level for them at game start:

- Wards/protections/defensive buffs. How much buff? How many usages? How much synergy or stackability is cool?

- Curse breaking/purification/removal of status effects. Same questions as above. I think this is where I'll probably focus whatever my replacement skills are.

- Communication/scrying/perception/information gathering. This will never involve mind reading, that mind stat is going to stay pretty low, rather I'm looking into remote viewing or communication stuff or just general enhanced perception. Her first and third skills are the general basis of this.

- Spiritual mediation/summoning and dismissal/magical contact negotiation. This is all like upper tier stuff but just flagging it as conceptual directions. Her second skill already covers how this is expressed in her initial build.

Generally flagging for other players, I don't think Jagrati will become a healer at any point, she's going to be focused on the healing of the spirit and the protection of the body but not the other way around. So, if anyone else wants to jump on the healer archetype, might be useful in game.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 06-19-2020 at 01:16 AM.

Retired Overlord

I'd say I'm fine with skill synergy as long as its not the entire point of the skill(Thank taking a skill that makes your own skills better.....and that's it), but in regards to the above questions...rather then set pre-defined limits its better to just judge them in a case by case basis. Just pitch some ideas and see what works, and adjust them as needed.

I'd say I'm fine with skill synergy as long as its not the entire point of the skill(Thank taking a skill that makes your own skills better.....and that's it), but in regards to the above questions...rather then set pre-defined limits its better to just judge them in a case by case basis. Just pitch some ideas and see what works, and adjust them as needed.
    Will do, I shall make some considerations and will report back.

Thanks for clarification!

I'm gonna take the premise, "scales against Soul stat," as a yardstick because that seems like a good metric to start off with.

Alright Sandy, how about these?

4) Whispering Rings: Jagrati likes to stay connected with people and she also loves jewelry. With this skill she can create up to five rings that have the following properties.

- Jagrati can sense the position of a ring relative to herself. This is only as specific as proximity and direction. Her maximum range of sensing is 3 miles, any further and she can no longer feel its presence.
    - She can scry on the location of a ring with her Third Eye of Perception skill without requiring any further description or a target person to focus on as she can lock onto the ring itself.
    - If the ring is worn by a person, they can communicate with Jagrati by whispering into it while wearing it. Jagrati can only hear the whispers of the wearer they choose to share, it cannot hear the ambient environment nor can it listen to the words of the wearer without their permission. Jagrati can speak herself and the wearer will hear her voice in their ear very quietly. She can communicate to all five rings in concert if need be but other ring wearers cannot hear each other.
    - Jagrati can dismiss an active ring at any time at will causing it to vanish with small metallic "ting" style noise. Once a ring has been dismissed it will be unavailable until the next sunrise.

5) Protection of the Wheel: By touching her hand on it and chanting for a moment, Jagrati can lay a protective ward on another person, another object or herself that will absorb physical or magical damage equal to her Soul stat before dispelling. This takes the form of a golden symbol that will appear on the target momentarily before fading away.

Jagrati can perform this skill three times per day with a ten minute cooldown. Only one ward can be laid on a person or object. The spell automatically dismisses after ten minutes so Jagrati can only ever one ward active at a time.
    Focused on communication and have a weaker form of the previously discussed defensive buff. Let me know!
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 06-19-2020 at 05:38 AM.

Saving space if needed
    Last edited by Tami; 06-20-2020 at 01:57 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Retired Overlord

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Alright Sandy, how about these?

Focused on communication and have a weaker form of the previously discussed defensive buff. Let me know!
    Sounds good. *thumbs up*

Sounds good. *thumbs up*
    Much obliged!

I will now do the real important work of picking a theme song and drawing my character.

Hey Sandman, would you mind giving us a little more details on the setting?

The starting premise suggests the narrative device bringing the group together is a strategic urban relocation of some sort.

This had me wondering, is the hospitable living space strictly in urbanized areas, or is there some wiggle room here? Like are their, i dunno, wilds, badlands, nature preserves and such, or is this meant to be localized mostly in one specific city-state under the administration?

Of course, if this is something that will be later reavealed in-game, all good. Just need some details to figure out where to situate my character's backstory.

I've got three ideas, and not sure which to use:

First is a cleric-like character who gets their power (or so they claim) from a God-like being, an axolotl god in this case.

Second is a bard-like character who performs spells through the power of rock (long-forgotten musical 'spells' from before the Ruin guarded by their family).

Third is a fighter-like character who is your typical 'tough bruiser with a soft center' who leads a street gang that basically help those who slipped through the cracks of society (and considering this RP is based on Lovecraftian and Dystopian literature, there are plenty of people who slipped through the cracks).

Have a fourth idea which is basically resurrecting Jamie Coulson from the defunct Pantaloonacy forum RPs (solo and not part of a duo this time), but I'm not sure if they'd be considered 'kosher' now (not because the character is inherently offensive, just that the base idea could be considered sensitive).
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Outside the administration, how rare are people with abilities?
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Added Xia's history to her bio.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Dogeseph Dogestar

Race: Doge

Class: Punch Wizard Mascot

Items: Fists.

Mundus lvl: 0

Body lvl: 5
    Soul lvl: 50
    Mind lvl: 20

Skills:

TBA

History/Backstory:

In the beginning, there was nothing... and then there was Doge.

Special:

Ora Ora.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Are multiple characters happening here, or is this something else?
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    Are multiple characters happening here, or is this something else?
    Potentially. Depends on whether or not Sandman accepts the idea of a dog with a stand.

Arx Inosaan