Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Retired Overlord

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Potentially. Depends on whether or not Sandman accepts the idea of a dog with a stand.
    There isn't a rule against multiple characters persay, but I'm also gonna be fairly strict on the bar for accepting them.

Also no Doge....I just spent a day trying to balance nik, that monster will never be balanced. So I say to thee.....Muda Muda.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    There isn't a rule against multiple characters persay, but I'm also gonna be fairly strict on the bar for accepting them.

Also no Doge....I just spent a day trying to balance nik, that monster will never be balanced. So I say to thee.....Muda Muda.
    He exists in our memories; and with a sufficient infusion of Kinu's hype.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Retired Overlord

Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    Outside the administration, how rare are people with abilities?
    People that develop abilities on their own are rare, though there are plenty of people with the potential that just never develop them into anything meaningful. That's why the Authority screens potentials from the populace into the orphanage, as long as there is a latent potential they can work with it....naturals are, obviously, even more coveted.

Retired Overlord

And when I decide I want the PC's to suffer and introduce him as an enemy.

And when I decide I want the PC's to suffer and introduce him as an enemy.
    All I ask, in the end.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

I imagine they've crossed paths before...which went about as well as that time Conan met the camel.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Finished my character on page one.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Retired Overlord

Default The World of Ruin: Geography

Referenced only in public archives and historical documents, the world before ruin rarely appears as more then a footnote in the history of the human race...much of it lost to ruin and centuries of violence and war. Not even the name survived....referred by the Administratum simple as "The World of Ruin". Below are the places of note, for those so inclined to risk life and limb beyond the walls of human civilization.

Urban Centers
    Built during the fall of humanity to the ruin, these massive city-scapes remain the last safe bastions to the human race. While officially designated by a letter/number combination by the Administratum, most of these urban centers are given a much more unofficial title by their human inhabitants. Urban Center A-11, located on the eastern coast of one of the worlds 7 continents, is one of 13 urban centers that exist, or existed on that continent at one time.....though the current number is closer to 9. Whenever the Ruin claims a city somewhere in the world, the Administratum are quick to make it publicly know.....and place the blame upon the ruin, and more often then not, on humans who carry on the old ways of violence and opposition to peace...inviting the ruin in like honey before a swarm of ants.

Every Urban Center shares a similar design. A warded parameter wall, heavily secured, surrounded an oversees the poorer slums where the bulk of humans live. As you approach the center, the standard of living increases....middle class workers and families whom allowed their children to be tested and adopted into the witch program and given much more comfortable quarters near the center, followed then by the high end quarters for city officals, and finally the Administratum offices and important facilities. At the heart of every Urban Center is a massive conflux spire...the communication and control hub for the Administratum. Most people can only glimpse this monstrous structure on the skyline....even from the city edge.

City A-11 share the unique distinction as the primary headquarters for several key Administratum institutions...including the Orphanage, a facility whose reputation varies from the fantastic to the horrifying depending on whom your listening too.

---

The Ruin

Beyond the warded barrier of each city is the World of Ruin.....The collected term for any lands not inhabited by humans. While this isn't to say that the ruin has occupied all land outside the cities, as far as the Administratum is concerned, all land outside is off limits and dangerous.

When traveling the World of Ruin, it is easy to fall prey to the delusion that there is nothing horrifying nor insidious waiting with fangs beared. It is a world were only feint ruins mark a human civilization beyond the walls....crumbled buildings amist rain soaked forests, colossal machines buried under centuries of dirt, plains of sand that once rested underwater. Few humans ever see these unmarred sights......but they exist.

But sooner or later, the land twists.....the plants turn dark, the air thick, the soil dead. Perception blurrs, the mind withers and rots, memories turn to ash. Then the screaming starts...and you know the ruin is upon you.

---

The Iron Giant

A Legend, told among slum children, the origin of which not even the storytellers know.

A Metal Giant once crawled the ground, the waters and the sky. A beast whom carried humans on its back. When the Ruin came, it died....and its great body came to rest in a long forgotten tome far into the wilds, where it will return some day to carry the poor of the slums to long forgotten lands free of the ruin.

Such are the tales of fools.....

Retired Overlord

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Hey Sandman, would you mind giving us a little more details on the setting?

The starting premise suggests the narrative device bringing the group together is a strategic urban relocation of some sort.

This had me wondering, is the hospitable living space strictly in urbanized areas, or is there some wiggle room here? Like are their, i dunno, wilds, badlands, nature preserves and such, or is this meant to be localized mostly in one specific city-state under the administration?

Of course, if this is something that will be later reavealed in-game, all good. Just need some details to figure out where to situate my character's backstory.
    A little bit of the latter, but the city won't be the sole point of interest for the rp. There are wilds, badlands and nature beyond the walls.....and the ruin of past human civilization. But its strictly forbidden for humans to go out there by the Authority, as they heavily imply that it will bring the ruin closer to more people who dwell outside....so unless you have a hidden way in and out of a city, the only people you'll find outside the cities are hermits who hid away or rebels to the Authority.

Retired Overlord

Ok, looking down the bios and I got a a question/suggestion.

Cleric: Owen is the child of a retired witch you say? Interesting....I'll note that witches tend to never fully recover from processing, even if they manage to live something close to a normal life after. They also die fairly young upon being removed from service........often to unrecorded causes, Strange. Hopefully Owen doesn't find something like that suspicious or emotionally damaging.

Cleric: Owen is the child of a retired witch you say? Interesting....I'll note that witches tend to never fully recover from processing, even if they manage to live something close to a normal life after. They also die fairly young upon being removed from service........often to unrecorded causes, Strange. Hopefully Owen doesn't find something like that suspicious or emotionally damaging.
    Reminds me of a plot point in a webcomic, I posted about recently. If a Witch gets Knocked up while still young and gives birth to a child, what might happen to the witch and the child?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Sandy, what I wrote in my character bio, based on what we discussed, is it okay so far?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Based on the setting info provided, going to tweak Jagrati's backstory to be more inkeeping with the setting.

EDIT: And boy am I up against the character limit on that post. :/
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 06-20-2020 at 03:20 PM.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

I kind of figured she would have died early. I can make it earlier in his life if you’d prefer.

I thought it would be an interesting potential tie into the world.

Everything else seem ok?
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Retired Overlord

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Sandy, what I wrote in my character bio, based on what we discussed, is it okay so far?
    Looks good so far