Mighty Member

Default The establishing of NEW Heroe and design your own new hero/es

Hello,
    I open this thread, because in another thread someone said that its difficult to establish new NON LEGACY heroes.

I personally think that its VERY EASY to establish new heroes, but there are some points:

1. POWERS
    some new heroes have powers like flying,super-strength, energy blast or so which many heroes already have.
    A secondary problem is that they often only have 1-2 superpowers while people like Martian Manhunter,Superman etc. have a whole list of superpowers.

2. LOOK
    Iconic characters like Wonder Woman,Superman,Silver Surfer,Ghost Rider,Superboy,Flash,The Punisher,Hulk,Batman,Spider-Man....are recognizable by their looks.

3. POWER-LEVEL
    New heroes and young heroes often have the "problem" that there is at least one JL member who has similar powers like him/her and is stronger than him/her

4. ANTI-HEROES or EDGY HEROES
    I think that Anti-Heroes or edgy rebellic new or young heroes work better..
    Batman,John Constantine,Iron Man,The Punisher,Lobo,Ghost Rider.......

OWN HERO/ES:

Like I said I would also like to hear, how do you would create your own hero/es.

I personally would like:

1. MAGICIAN who can also transform himself into mystical creatures:
    I imagine here a guy with leather-coat (like Dante of Devil May Cry), no shirt, tattoos all over his body, no shirt, mohawk hairstyle
    As Super-Powers magic powers like Dr.Strange,John Constantine....but he uses more voodoo magic...
    Also powers like Madame Xanadu and he can transform himself into mystical creatures like a werewolf....

2. ELEMENT CONTROL Hero:
    Here I imagine a guy who can control ALL Elements (wind,earth,air,water)

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

How about a BLM inspired hero kinda like Luke Cage, I don't know if DC has one. The power is bulletproof... no, that's just Luke Cage again... need more differentiation... and invulnerability also covers tear gas.

I wanna make a bulletproof teen inspired by the school shootings, but we also already have Superboy, Supergirl, and Shazam...

Asian. We need more Asians. Nothing martial arts, swords, or dragon related. What's the blame today? Corona and Japanese killer bee.

Got it.

Codename: Antivirus
    Gay Chinese male, since DC has enough gay or bi female.
    His powers include viral immunity, so his body constantly adapts to any virus.
    The problem is no one in DCU will ever get sick of a virus ever again.
    People can still get sick from bacteria though. His power doesn't cover those.
    Since his power is passive, he needs to learn to defend himself by regular means. In this case, martial arts is fine since he won't be an expert, just your regular teenager learning.
    He will be targeted by the government and villains and need to be protected by other heroes when it comes to heavy hitters.

I guess the setup is more like a supporting cast... The Cure Kid trope from any viral infection, post-apocalyptic movies, but that's what I can think of right now.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Codename: Shell
    A trans woman whose power is to create a transparent barrier
    Yeah, it's basically Safe Space from Marvel's initiative but no way in heck I'm using that name.
    She will look like a regular woman with natural color hair instead of Marvel's parody of Tumblr
    Her occupation is... therapist. Needs more of those in DCU too so they don't have to use robot therapist

Can you tell I'm pissed of by some of the big two's decision? ^^

Wait, still too passive, how about...

Codename: Aromatherapy or Lavender
    A young trans woman therapist whose power is to calm people down. (Taylor Swift's You Need to Calm Down playing in the background lol)
    It's not a mind or emotional manipulation, just simply to lower negative emotion so people can have a talk. The range is pretty wide. Crowd. It's a non-violent crowd control power.

I really like this one. She's gonna be best friends with Wonder Woman.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post

4. ANTI-HEROES or EDGY HEROES
    I think that Anti-Heroes or edgy rebellic new or young heroes work better..
    Batman,John Constantine,Iron Man,The Punisher,Lobo,Ghost Rider........
    No offence but I have to respectfully disagree. Personally I dislike anti-heroes or anything "edgy and rebellious." I also think both are over-done.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    OWN HERO/ES:

Like I said I would also like to hear, how do you would create your own hero/es.
    I'd make more aspirational heroes like Captain America or Superman. Actual heroes, people who want to do the right thing because it's the right thing.

I'd also have them be very religious, with their faith being the main factor that drives them to be heroes and what gives them the strength to carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice
    Nothing martial arts, swords,or dragon related. What's the blame today? Corona and Japanese killer bee.
    Sorry but I love two of those and would absolutely include them with my OC's. Also don't forget that there are plenty of other types of swords besides those from Asian countries.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

The theme of the character and their story is what has to be most different, if you want them to have staying power and receive attention. Costumes and powers matter, but they're icing on top, and work best when complimenting the character's persona. Who is the character? What motivates them to save people? What are they afraid of? What are their flaws? What do they bring to the table others don't?

Villain-of-the-week is a hallmark of the industry, but I think it's proving stale. A character with new powers and a new costume fighting bad guys and getting the girl isn't going to grab much attention, not when established heroes are next to the pile. As far as introduction goes, if you're incorporating them into the DCU, it helps to have them serve as a key character in an event or establish a strong connection to another hero (but not as a sidekick role).

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    How about a BLM inspired hero kinda like Luke Cage, I don't know if DC has one. The power is bulletproof... no, that's just Luke Cage again... need more differentiation... and invulnerability also covers tear gas.
    ^^^DC has this guy...

...a very "angry black man". As a black man myself, i didnt find him at all interesting or inspiring.

Your other character suggestions arent anything i'd go out of my way to read. I dont feel someone's sexuality should be the main selling point of any character. If thats the first thing that comes out of a creator's mouth when describing their character, then its prob. not going to be a very interesting character, at least to me.
    Sexuality (of any type) should be treated like its nothing special in order to highlight that its just a part of life, no matter what it happens to be.
    Thats just MHO.

Incredible Member

Keith Patterson.

Holder of the interstellar luge and keeper of the infinity megaphone, Keith races the solar winds to use his megaphone wherever there is injustice.

Its a double luge so he will need a sidekick - probably see if evan dorkins milk and cheese is available for license in an ill fitting team up.

No hijinks ensue.