Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    The Last Dragon masterwitcher88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    109

    Default What's the story behind Amazons Attack?

    I mean internally at DC comics. I've never read it, I don't plan to. I'm just curious as to what happened before the event, how was it supposed to go down, who was the real figure behind that story, why is it so widely regarded as terrible, etc...
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

  2. #2
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,106

    Default

    Well, editorial go in the way. It was supposed to be very different story.

  3. #3
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    628

    Default

    It was an editorially driven story based on the idea that it would be cool to see the Amazons attacking Washington DC. No foolin' - that was the germ of the story. That's what Didio came to Pete Woods with.

  4. #4
    Incredible Member Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    708

    Default

    I recall reading somewhere it was a holdover idea from Rucka where the US and Themyscira would have been manipulated into a war by Veronica Cale.

  5. #5
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    628

    Default

    The Rucka storyline was the one that was truncated and then eliminated. That was a conflict coming out of his run after Hera kicked Themyscira to Earth, but his run was cut short.

    I haven't been able to find the interview in which it was stated that the series started out with just the image of Amazons attacking DC and how cool it would be, but I found an interview with Will Pfeifer in which he says this:

    The concept was presented to me. Well, just the real bare bones sort of concept. I think there had been another idea floating around called Amazons Attack around the time of Infinite Crisis, but this is something completely different.
    "Just the bare bones" = "Dude, it would be so cool to see Amazons attacking DC!"

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,106

    Default

    The amazons were originally supposed to be mind control if I remember.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    4,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I mean internally at DC comics. I've never read it, I don't plan to. I'm just curious as to what happened before the event, how was it supposed to go down, who was the real figure behind that story, why is it so widely regarded as terrible, etc...



    Basically the Amazons went full Flashpoint on Washington D.C. and it was so over the top and stupid you just were left wondering wtf was going on. And this was the last big event the Wonderverse has taken part in.
    Last edited by Vordan; 06-19-2020 at 12:48 PM.

  8. #8
    Wonder Moderator Gaelforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,485

    Default

    Not to mention just when you think it couldn't get any worse, Batman used a spell taught to him by Zatanna to shut down Circe's powers.

    Yup. Just that easy. A few backwards words spoken by some non-magical guy and voila! Circe defeated!

    SMH.

    It was terrible.

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    4,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Not to mention just when you think it couldn't get any worse, Batman used a spell taught to him by Zatanna to shut down Circe's powers.

    Yup. Just that easy. A few backwards words spoken by some non-magical guy and voila! Circe defeated!

    SMH.

    It was terrible.
    And of course that was the one bit I see popping up on Instagram comic book “fact” accounts. The part of a terrible WW event that shills Batgod.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,374

    Default

    Say what you will of the abysmal narrative, damn that art looked good.

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,295

    Default

    From what I remember, Rucka was building to something grand and politically interesting between the military and the Amazons (and he has the writing chops to have pulled it off.) But, all its intrigue was dashed for simple, empty spectacle - when it could have been interesting, dramatic, and spectacular - during the Didio's tenure.

    Between Amazons Attack and War of the Gods, it’s sad that two big Wonder-focused events got curtailed and changed because DC didn’t trust what they have in Diana and the creative vision the writers had for the character and storyline.

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    From what I remember, Rucka was building to something grand and politically interesting between the military and the Amazons (and he has the writing chops to have pulled it off.) But, all its intrigue was dashed for simple, empty spectacle - when it could have been interesting, dramatic, and spectacular - during the Didio's tenure.

    Between Amazons Attack and War of the Gods, itís sad that two big Wonder-focused events got curtailed and changed because DC didnít trust what they have in Diana and the creative vision the writers had for the character and storyline.
    Stuff like this makes me wonder why I should give my money to DC. Still enjoy buying older material and reprints but if editorial was that bad back then I shudder when I think of how it works theese days. My picture is WB lets artists breathe when it comes to the movies but the comics division... god forbid there would be interesting material or something challenging, philosophical or enjoyable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •