Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    It's not a big deal, Superman brutally beat her recently in that non canon comic about zombies and he was celebrated for that, we can do the same for WW.

Where's the issue?
    I don't think Superman fans (the sane ones anyway) tend to celebrate him if he beats a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I *think* it’s meant to be a way to honor him?
    That's the most wrong interpretation of honor anyone has ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't think Superman fans (the sane ones anyway) tend to celebrate him if he beats a woman.
    There are comic fans who care about the history but also about battles and comparing characters. You can find everything in battle threads, youtube videos, Twitter etc.

I'm not even dragging Superman, people do this for every character not just Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    That's the most wrong interpretation of honor anyone has ever had.
    Like yeah it’s just so... weird. It’s something that would feel more at home in Death Metal where Snyder is deliberately going over the top and you’re not meant to take things seriously. In contrast, Dead Earth has been very serious and grounded, Diana’s power levels have been nerfed to accommodate that, so her using his spine and skull like that feels like a jump the Shark moment. However I’m still going to keep reading since I think there’s only 1 issue left, so hopefully Johnson can give it a good ending. Diana needs more standalone stories and I really liked it so far, so I’m going to stick with it.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I saw none of the celebration, anywhere regarding dceased . It was really not much of a feat either. I saw more celebrations when superman ploughed through everyone in jl movie.
    Like yeah it’s just so... weird. It’s something that would feel more at home in Death Metal where Snyder is deliberately going over the top and you’re not meant to take things seriously. In contrast, Dead Earth has been very serious and grounded, Diana’s power levels have been nerfed to accommodate that, so her using his spine and skull like that feels like a jump the Shark moment. However I’m still going to keep reading since I think there’s only 1 issue left, so hopefully Johnson can give it a good ending. Diana needs more standalone stories and I really liked it so far, so I’m going to stick with it.
    In some old cultures, after killing a beast or defeating warrior they wear or take something from the opponent as sign of respect and to have their spirit/strengths be with you in future conflicts.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-19-2020 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    There are comic fans who care about the history but also about battles and comparing characters. You can find everything in battle threads, youtube videos, Twitter etc.

I'm not even dragging Superman, people do this for every character not just Superman.
    Yes, but there's a lot of trollish fans out there who only care about their favorite being able to beat and kill every other character ever, taste and class and characterization be damned - we here tend to look down on that sort of fan. I don't need Batman, Superman, or Wonder Woman killing each other or even fighting each other more than once a decade. Especially when it means one of them comes across as a murderer.

Hopefully it turns out well, but this doesn't feel like the Wonder Woman one shot or mini for me. Something closer to Superman Smashes the Klan but for Wonder Woman would be more interesting.

This was dumb and that's putting it mildly.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I saw none of the celebration, anywhere regarding dceased . It was really not much of a feat either. I saw more celebrations when superman ploughed through everyone in jl movie.

In some old cultures, after killing a beast or defeating warrior they wear or take something from the opponent as sign of respect and to have their spirit/strengths be with you in future conflicts.
    Sure, but Diana has never been portrayed as coming from a culture that does that and she knows her friend comes from a culture that buries their dead. Rather than respect the wishes of a close friend she murdered, she instead ripped his spine out because she's cool, I guess?

I think your read here is what the writer is going for. She's using Clark's remains to try and help since she's too weak now to do so on her own. In this Diana's mind, Clark would do whatever he could to help, even donate his body should be die.

But I don't think that really works in application and Diana would always respect someone else's customs so long as they didn't harm others before she applies her own... And if the story is constructed such that Diana NEEDS Clark's bones to be potent, it kind of fails as a timeless Wonder Woman story.

Those last 2 pages are probably the worst things Ive read so far this year. Not only did you beat up and brutally mirder your friend, but you also taint his memory by using his spije and skull as a weapon. Who wrote this edgy crap?

Fantastic Member

It's no big deal anymore to see superman get his butt kicked!! Superman is nothing but a punching bag for anybody now!! If Dc want to promote a villain or a hero they have him or her beat up superman to show how powerful that person is!! Superman use to be a powerhouse not anymore!! ANYBODY can beat superman now, they don't even need powers to do it !! Guess all that complaining about superman being to powerful, Dc and the writers have done their best to depower him!! Today superman is nothing but a punching bag!! Oh! I should say a (super punching bag!!) Dc has taken the super out of superman!
    Last edited by lotchj; 06-19-2020 at 06:47 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's just such a boring trope by now, the edgy takedown of Superman. But man if I'm not jealous of Johnson's ability as an artist.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Sure, but Diana has never been portrayed as coming from a culture that does that and she knows her friend comes from a culture that buries their dead. Rather than respect the wishes of a close friend she murdered, she instead ripped his spine out because she's cool, I guess?

I think your read here is what the writer is going for. She's using Clark's remains to try and help since she's too weak now to do so on her own. In this Diana's mind, Clark would do whatever he could to help, even donate his body should be die.

But I don't think that really works in application and Diana would always respect someone else's customs so long as they didn't harm others before she applies her own... And if the story is constructed such that Diana NEEDS Clark's bones to be potent, it kind of fails as a timeless Wonder Woman story.
    Is'nt she greek? Hercules wore the skin of a nemeon lion. Also, medusa's head was taken as well. Its not unheard of for greeks to do that as far as i know

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Is'nt she greek? Hercules wore the skin of a nemeon lion. Also, medusa's head was taken as well. Its not unheard of for greeks to do that as far as i know
    Ahhhh that is probably what Johnson is copying. Still feels weird of her to do that to the corpse of her friend though. Hercules didn’t rip his best friend’s head off and use it to beat Zeus to death which is the closest analogy to what’s happening here.

Ahhhh that is probably what Johnson is copying. Still feels weird of her to do that to the corpse of her friend though. Hercules didn’t rip his best friend’s head off and use it to beat Zeus to death which is the closest analogy to what’s happening here.
    They fought, that essentially means they became adversaries. Its as simple as that. On the battle field, your opponent is opponent. You may need to fight your father, mother,sister,brother,friend... Etc. It wouldn't matter.These relationships are irrelevant on the battlefield for a proper warrior. A warrior may grieve after the conflict. But, clinging to these relationships on the battle where peace talks have broken down and people are dieing is seen as a mark of cowardice in many cultures.it's dishonorable,shameful and seen as disrespectful towards both the opponents and your allies. It's seen as indecisiveness, lack of resolve and complacency at moment of truth. So, yeah! Taking the skull and beating your father with it will be seen as ethical and moral. Finally , wars and duels used to have code of conduct in many cultures. Ofcourse, these broke down more often than not.But,still they did give a semblance of civility. They had different frame of mind, than the current ones we view the world through.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-19-2020 at 09:27 PM.