Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 53

Thread: A Robin movie

  1. #31
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Everything you said can apply to all the complaints about BatGod, yeah it's unrealistic but comics themselves are unrealistic. Still doesn't stop people from bitching any time Bruce does anything remotely unrealistic.
    And there'd be people who complain about Robin. Doesn't mean the film would be unsuccessful.

    There's challenges to adapting Robin, sure. That applies to every character in one way or another.

    We're talking about one of the oldest, most iconic characters comics have ever created, known around the entire world and seen in cartoons, movies, games, and tv shows for eighty years. We live in a world where a talking raccoon and a walking tree have become super huge hits.....you really think Robin is going too far?
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  2. #32

    Default

    I'm a big fan of Under the Red Hood so I'd adapt that.

    A loose adaptation of "We are Robin" could be fun. Ascended already pitched that and I agree with his take. Because Robin is a vague concept to the general audience(my mom knows who robin is but not who Dick and the others are) you could have the WAR kids be an audience surrogate. They know who Robin is but not who he is under the mask. The only thing I'd change is who "the NEST" is as Alfred was always a weak choice.

  3. #33
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Everything you said can apply to all the complaints about BatGod, yeah it's unrealistic but comics themselves are unrealistic. Still doesn't stop people from bitching any time Bruce does anything remotely unrealistic.

    I think a kid Robin is different than Spider-Man for the obvious reason Peter has powers and the Robin's don't. Also Batman's world is super dark and dangerous so putting a child in the line of fire of psychos like Joker will be seen as irresponsible on Bruce's part by the average movie goer. It may also make his villains look incompetent if they can't take out a child.
    Robin predates the BatGod concept by several decades, and BatGod itself deserves to be called out for being stupid because the vast majority of the time it is. And often drags down other characters to prop it up. And also ruins some of the appeal of Bruce himself. Robin has a story purpose, BatGod most of the time doesn't have one beyond shallow fanwankery and Morrison is the only one who can really pull it off well in modern stories.

    Robin has been around since 1940, and Batman or his villains haven't been viewed as incompetent by his presence. Spider-Man's villains aren't viewed as incompetent by being defeated by a teenager, it's just scaled differently (both Spidey and his foes have superpowers, Robin is on equal footing with the Bat-foes since neither he or most of them have any powers). If the film is good, general audiences will accept it. Especially if the films embrace the fantastical setting while still being serious in their own context. Plus, they don't have to kill a Robin. I'd prefer it not go beyond Dick and not even broach the subject of dead child soldiers.

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Robin predates the BatGod concept by several decades, and BatGod itself deserves to be called out for being stupid because the vast majority of the time it is. And often drags down other characters to prop it up. And also ruins some of the appeal of Bruce himself. Robin has a story purpose, BatGod most of the time doesn't have one beyond shallow fanwankery and Morrison is the only one who can really pull it off well in modern stories.

    Robin has been around since 1940, and Batman or his villains haven't been viewed as incompetent by his presence. Spider-Man's villains aren't viewed as incompetent by being defeated by a teenager, it's just scaled differently (both Spidey and his foes have superpowers, Robin is on equal footing with the Bat-foes since neither he or most of them have any powers). If the film is good, general audiences will accept it. Especially if the films embrace the fantastical setting while still being serious in their own context. Plus, they don't have to kill a Robin. I'd prefer it not go beyond Dick and not even broach the subject of dead child soldiers.
    But the argument was that comics in general are inherently silly, so if a child or teenager can fight gangsters and full blown super villains why can't Batman do OTT BatGod things? And BatGod doesn't have fo always involve dragging others down, just Bruce doing things way beyond what a normal human can do.

    Btw everyone what works in a cartoon or video game doesn't always work in live action. There's a reason most movie and tv versions of Robin are young adults, Burt Ward, Chris O'Donnell and Brandon Thaites' versions were all at least college age.

    And I'm not arguing against the concept of Robin I'm just saying imo the average casual movie fan won't take a child without powers in a colorful costume fighting crime very seriously in a live action movie.

  5. #35
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,265

    Default

    You can't do a 12 year old Robin, no. But 15-17? That'll go over just fine, presuming the people making the movie aren't complete idiots. There are kids that age involved in some crazy martial arts competitions, gymnastics, it's not that far removed from being old enough to enlist in the military or police departments, and there are actual child soldiers younger than that who're taught how to kill and cut people apart.

    You mention the Titans show. I haven't heard anyone complain about Jason, a teenager, being Robin. I've heard complaints about the acting and story and everything else, but not the fact that there's a teenager in body armor beating people up.

    It's all in how you spin it. People will accept a crazy premise if you sell it to them correctly. Robin is no different.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-22-2020 at 08:48 AM.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  6. #36
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,180

    Default

    Yea people accepted Spy Kids. It's all about how you do it.

  7. #37

    Default

    To me, Damian is the only Robin that needs to be a certain age when he debuts. He works best as a 10 year old and you would have to rethink him and his dynamic with everyone if he was brought in as a 16 year old.

  8. #38
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    You mention the Titans show. I haven't heard anyone complain about Jason, a teenager, being Robin. I've heard complaints about the acting and story and everything else, but not the fact that there's a teenager in body armor beating people up.
    I only find it wired that they cast pretty young actors for Raven and "Flash Back Dick" and much older ones for Jason and Beast Boy.

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    To me, Damian is the only Robin that needs to be a certain age when he debuts. He works best as a 10 year old and you would have to rethink him and his dynamic with everyone if he was brought in as a 16 year old.
    I think in case of Dick and Jason it also changes their dynamik with Bruce if they were much older when they became Robin.

    In Jason's case his death has much less impact if he is aged up.

    Just look at the UTRH movie, if the scenes with the tiny Jason at the beginning of his career as Robin would have been left out, and only the scenes with the angry teenage Jason were included, the movie would loose alot of his emotional punch, any if they had Joker kill Jason when he was still tiny and cute ...

    I think the only Robin where it would really not matter this much is Tim, since he was anyway aged up to be in high school pretty fast, and he still had a living Father and a step mother in his early years.
    Last edited by Aahz; 06-25-2020 at 07:38 AM.

  9. #39
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,180

    Default

    The more you think about. You can have DIck and Jason still be young but not become RObin until later on

  10. #40
    Astonishing Member 9th.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,329

    Default

    I think a POV style documentary film would be the only way to pull Robin off in these times without it being overtly corny. A kid documenting his first outing with Batman could be an interesting viewpoint and film.

    Although now that I think about it filming the interworkings of Batman might be a stupid idea but telling the story from Robin perspective could still be good.
    Reading list: Far Sector (DC), Marauders (Marvel), X-Force (Marvel), X-Men (Marvel), Miles Morales: Spider-Man (Marvel), Venom (Marvel), My Hero Academia (VIZ), Killadelphia (Image), Bitter Root (Image), Black Hammer: Age of Doom (Darkhorse)

  11. #41
    Astonishing Member CPSparkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,609

    Default

    I don't know why Batman needs a kid to fight crime. Dick I understand because it was for his safety. Damian, for his soul and for the world. The world is safer if he's on the side of good.

    Damian as Robin can work. Look at Kick Ass. People ate that up. A lethal 10 year old and it's less grey because Bruce isn't endangering another man's kid.

    The posters comparing Robin to Spiderman. Are you serious? Robin isn't like Spiderman and what works With Spiderman won't work for Robin.

    The problem with Robin is that Batman working with a child is unnecessary. batman working with a child after having lost one child is beyond stupid so if he has already lost one then I'd scrap Robin altogether unless it's Damian.

    Not to mention that the other Robin's are exactly cool by today's standards

  12. #42
    Astonishing Member CPSparkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I think a POV style documentary film would be the only way to pull Robin off in these times without it being overtly corny. A kid documenting his first outing with Batman could be an interesting viewpoint and film.

    Although now that I think about it filming the interworkings of Batman might be a stupid idea but telling the story from Robin perspective could still be good.
    Why would Batman be taking a kid out in the 1st place? Doesn't seem like something a smart person would do.

  13. #43
    Astonishing Member CPSparkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Yea people accepted Spy Kids. It's all about how you do it.
    Spy Kids isn't comparable to Robin
    Spiderman isn't comparable to Robin
    Titans Robin isn't comparable to having Robin in a Batman movie.

    I don't know why people are just listing random examples that are not in anyway the to be compared Robin a human kid in a dark and dangerous serious movie like Batman

    Spy kids ia a kids movie. Robin should be targeted at YOU. However old you are reading this.
    Spiderman is a super powered teen responsible for the whole of New York and considered a peer to Batman. Robin is a side kick with a reputation for dying, bright colours and not having powers.
    Titans isn't a Batman movie set in Batman's world hence why no one is asking the question nor did they have to address the question of why Batman needs help from a kid without powers or training

  14. #44
    Astonishing Member CPSparkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,609

    Default

    Honestly as much as I am a Robin fan I don't think it works or it's gonna gel with the youths of today outisde of Damian. Most teens I know consider Robin a Melvin.

    The character is just seen as lame by non comic readers.

    Characters like X-26 and Mindy were well recieved but they are the polar opposite of what the world knows Robin to be

    The Robin's in YJ, TT GO, The live Action movies, the Adam West Show even the Titans tv show's Robin aren't anything like the kid/teen sidekick heroes that have tested well with today's audience.

    Which is why I say Damian is the best bet since he is the one that matches the sidekicks that have worked and tested well for todays audience.

  15. #45
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Honestly as much as I am a Robin fan I don't think it works or it's gonna gel with the youths of today outisde of Damian. Most teens I know consider Robin a Melvin.

    The character is just seen as lame by non comic readers.

    Characters like X-26 and Mindy were well recieved but they are the polar opposite of what the world knows Robin to be

    The Robin's in YJ, TT GO, The live Action movies, the Adam West Show even the Titans tv show's Robin aren't anything like the kid/teen sidekick heroes that have tested well with today's audience.

    Which is why I say Damian is the best bet since he is the one that matches the sidekicks that have worked and tested well for todays audience.
    You say that now but you won't know. Many people say that but it's all about writing. Almost anything can work. There have been movies a big hit despite many saying it will be a fail. The fact robin has been able to keep a fanbase does say something. Even with kid comics being made. Okay maybe a solo film might not work but it also could work. Heck maybe a TT movie is better than nothing
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 06-25-2020 at 01:27 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •