Default Could Joker be like Red Jack from Doom Patrol?

Given in the comics he's a complete mystery as to his origins prior to the chemicals and it's even been implied Joker might not even be human is it possible Joker could be like Red Jack from Doom Patrol and is some how a being that feeds on the pain and suffering of others? I mean I know some might not like the idea but I honestly think it would make Joker scarier if he was some cosmic or interdimentional being that causes chaos and suffering. I say this because it would really make the stakes much higher with Batman if he was just a man facing down against a far more powerful entity.

If they did go this route with Joker I think a good back story would be if he was a child of Trigon (I remember Raven trying to make Joker see his worst fears and his response was just laughter so it wouldn't be shocking if he was like her or rather a prototype Trigon discarded) and once was meant to act like Raven and like her resisted and while succeeding in beating Trigon was driven mad and became a demonic being that feeds on pain and suffering and wandered the world feeding on the pain and misery of others until coming across Bruce and his parents in the alley that night and seeing what Bruce would become decided to stick around out of amusement.

I like this idea because it really kind of reverses things especially when one considers what Bruce's crusade has cost him and how it's affected people like Jason Todd. I'd like to see a confrontation where Joker offers Bruce the chance to "ellevate" himself and brings up how Bruce has unintentionally caused suffering to those around him. Essentially something like this

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Demons are really 80s/90s for me. Please, no. Maybe a Black Label oneshot I could ignore that.

Extraordinary Member

No. Every once in awhile someone says this and the answer is always the same. The randomness of some man turning into a monster like Joker is what makes him scary

Astonishing Member

Red Jack from Doom Patrol is also a lift of Redjac (look, same concept AND name!) from Star Trek Season 2, "A Wolf in the Fold". Which is also frankly just what Parallax is. Star Trek Season 3, "Day of the Dove" features a similar demon that feeds on hatred rather than fear and pits Captain Kirk against Captain Kang, which is basically "The Butcher".

Demons are definitely Nineties at this point. Batman isn't SPAWN and the last several years of Batman writers need to just go write Spawn because Spawn is the thing that they're trying to write.

Criminals who are just people who do bad things, cleverly, is a far stronger concept.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Everytime the idea of Joker being some kind of demon or force of pure insanity comes up in a book, I can't help but roll my eyes.

Even all those times he's described as "an agent of chaos" is pushing it.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I miss when he was a very clever, unquestionably mad chemist with a clown theme who was ruthlessly evil. He's a plot device now, with no character and his sole motivation being "because Batman."

The Joker has become a masturbatory plot device for DC, where it can't stop gushing about how cool he is and building more on to him until he's just a terrible dull mess.

Please dial him back down, not turn him into a Spawn character.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Could Joker be like Red Jack? Yes.
    Should Joker be like Red Jack? No!
    Why? Because Joker works perfectly well like the insane (but perfectly human) criminal he is.
    In my humble opinion the readers love Batman because it is a franchise (almost) without superpowers and I don't think the readers would love a similar change: otherwise they wouldn't read Batman.