Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Legacy Heroes

43 40.19%
  • Original Heroes

64 59.81%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    What about AMAZING MAN? He's actually both, in terms of PoC.
    I only really know the amazing man from Geoff Johns 2007 JSA run, are you talking about that one or the original one that was in the 70’s/80’s?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Honestly for me, it depends on the character.

I'm not a big fan of Hal Jordan as the Green Lantern, simply put he just doesn't appeal to me no matter who is writing him and if the late great Denny O'Neill, Ron Marz, Geoff Johns, and Grant Morrison can't make me give a damn about Hal as GL then nobody will. I did like even love Hal Jordan as the Specter when he was written by JM DeMantis. He's been the only writer to ever make me like Hal Jordan as a character. Kyle Rayner to me is the Green Lantern of Earth and I like the character no matter who's writing him.

I love the Peter David Supergirl series and still think she is the best Supergirl in the comics and have I very little interest in the current one. I also love the Supergirl CW TV show even though aren't the same character by any stretch of the imagination.

While I have no real interest in Connor Hawke as Green Arrow, Azreal will never be Batman and neither will any of 4 Supermen in Reign of the Supermen.

Not some of this is, of course, when I came of age and started reading DC comics starting in 1989 and continuing on from there. So to me certain characters like Kyle Rayner, Linda Danvers, Tim Drake, Cassandra Cain, Kate Kane, and etc are going to appeal to me because of some of it being just nostalgia for the characters of my youth, and the fact that those are the versions of Green Lantern, Supergirl, Robin, Batgirl, and Batwoman that I read first and know them as that superhero and some of those characters got me into the DCU and that I personally relate and connect too on a more personal level as characters and superheroes than the original version.

And in some cases like the Specter I loved the original version and Hal Jordan it depends on the creators involved.
    Last edited by Cyberstrike; 06-20-2020 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    It's an interesting thing. I would usually say original characters would be better, but there is no original PoC character at DC Comics that has their own interesting mythology to me. Thus, I'm afraid it's somewhat of a wash. What I think would be ideal--a PoC character with a mythology as good or better than the best ones at DC--is a unicorn. It doesn't really exist at DC. So, I would be comparing an idyllic imaginary thing against DC's legacy PoC. In that since, original characters would be better, because the legacy PoC don't have their own mythologies and are in the shadows of white characters, but admittedly, I've never seen DC do an original independent PoC character that well.
    I agree with you here in that DC doesn’t have an original hero with their own unique and interesting mythology. They have a few with untapped potential (Black Lightning, Vixen, Cyborg) but they haven’t done anything with them. I think Static is the closest thing they have to an original character with a unique mythology, but he’s Milestone. On the legacy side there is Jaime Reyes, yeah he is a legacy but all of the interesting mythology comes from his creation (the reach, black beetle, the rivalry with the GLC, the posse...etc) and he has his own support cast/villains too. Sometimes a legacy surpasses the originals (Mr Terrific, Stargirl) and Blue Beetle is one of them.

Trouble is, with a legacy the originals can always come back and take over again. Which is what happened with Cass, Jason, Ryan and recently Jaime.

3 of top 5 original characters with the most solos come from outside of DC proper (Static, Deathblow, Hardware) and of the two DC characters rounding out the top 5 one is inspired by Superman and hasn’t seen a solo in decades, the other is a character DC has been pushing for the past 10 years (Cyborg) to not much fanfare.
    Last edited by Samm; 06-20-2020 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    I agree with you here in that DC doesn’t have an original hero with their own unique and interesting mythology. They have a few with untapped potential (Black Lightning, Vixen, Cyborg) but they haven’t done anything with them. I think Static is the closest thing they have to an original character with a unique mythology, but he’s Milestone. On the legacy side there is Jaime Reyes, yeah he is a legacy but all of the interesting mythology comes from his creation (the reach, black beetle, the rivalry with the GLC, the posse...etc) and he has his own support cast/villains too. Sometimes a legacy surpasses the originals (Mr Terrific, Stargirl) and Blue Beetle is one of them.

Trouble is, with a legacy the originals can always come back and take over again. Which is what happened with Cass, Jason, Ryan and recently Jaime.

3 of top 5 original characters with the most solos come from outside of DC proper (Static, Deathblow, Hardware) and of the two DC characters rounding out the top 5 one is inspired by Superman and hasn’t seen a solo in decades, the other is a character DC has been pushing for the past 10 years (Cyborg) to not much fanfare.
    Yes. Original should be better, but DC need to invest on those character. If they go with legacy characters, they should go with the ones whose original counterpart aren't around much. As far as original characters, they should go all in on Vixen, she is very unique and her look can be very cosplayable. On the legacy side, they shoud go with Mister Terrific, since must people don't remember the original very much, and while Ted Kord is still around, I think Jayme Reyes is just too promissing to waste.

Retired

I understand why they re-use the codenames for different characters--given that they own the trademark, so they can keep making money off a property by simply re-inventing it with new people. I just don't like it. And I think they could end up making just as much money if they created new trademarks. The new trademarked character simply has to be associated with an established property in some way--Harley Quinn was associated with Joker and Batman and became her own profitable trademark--and I wouldn't call her a "legacy," though she is a spin-off.

In the days of Fawcett Comics, Captain Marvel would appear on the cover and in the stories of other characters to promote them, so readers would try out these new characters. D.C. just needs to use its big guns to travel from one title to another, to promote those new characters. The way Kurt Busiek and Tom Grummett handled the one-shots introducing the Power Company was a good example of this--especially for Skyrocket--her one-shot had Hal on the cover and in the story. She was her own character, not a spin-off, but Green Lantern helped introduce her to readers.

Mighty Member

I prefer original characters, legacy (Replacement) heroes seems to be largely a DC phenomenon that was used in an attempt to catch Marvel Comics, and I'd say for the most part it has largely failed, to the point you have 6 of 7 Green Lantern or Flash's running around.

In terms of promoting diversity, I think original characters ultimately have a chance to become more successful. Think about how long John Stewart has been waiting to take over the GL title, or how long it will be before Wallace West gets to take over the Flash.

I think it's much better to go the Marvel route, Black Panther and Luke Cage have become quite popular, why can't DC do that with Black Lightning and Vixen by making them permemant members of the Justice League, and continue to promote them in Netflix shows, cartoons and movies. It's a better way to go all round.

On the one hand, I'm not really a fan of legacies and legacy characters. All my favorite characters are originals. On the other hand, my favorite characters are Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I'm kind of 50/50. Depending on how many "Legacies" that main character has....I rather not add on to and have them be original. But a legacy has a better chance of surviving since they get to inherit that fanbase and reach a wider audience.

But I think this can also kind of extend to a 3rd option and that is race bending a character since we are talking about diversity. That of course I am also 50/50 on and it goes back to certain characters already having a built in fanbase so it's easier to launch them off the ground but then your original characters often just sit on the shelf waiting to be dusted off.

Mighty Member

Actually the question makes NO SENSE for me...

BECAUSE you cant mix ALL ORIGINAL CHARACTERS..

a) There are original characters who didnt stick and I understand it

b) There are original characters who arent used much anymore and I dont understand it:
    Static, Traci13, Empress, Blood Pack, Ravers,Dolphin.....

c) There are original characters whose powers etc. have changed because of Reboots or so..
    For example I prefered Voodoo in Wildstorm to Voodoo in NEW52

Like I said the criterias for me for a new original hero to be successfull are:
    1. Powers which no one or not many superheroes have
    2. probably not only one superpower, but a list of them
    3. a recognizable look
    4. a power level which make them as powerful as the Titans or JL

I prefer original characters but I don't mind tieing them to another hero. Like in YJ I was cool with Bumblebee being the Atom's protege. Right now I'm a bigger fan of Ms. Marvel and Blindspot and that's a direction i rather see them try to continue with than the "kid flash mini-me" method most legacies/sidekicks were built with.

I grew up with shonen anime which often has a wide variety of powers so the whole team of Hulks/Flash etc never appealed to me. Granted there are exceptions like Ewing/Bennett's work on Immortal HULK.

This may come as a surprise to many on here since Jaime Reyes is my favorite DC character of all time, but I definitely prefer original characters. With legacy it feels like we’re always competing for second place, and the White character that was replaced will always return to reclaim the mantle, because nostalgia. I mean just look at what’s happening to Jaime, Jason, Ryan, Cassandra, John...etc. I’d add Jessica to that list but she’s being treated like Supwrgirl/Batgirl/Hawkgirl (ie female counterpart to a male hero).

Just forget those characters and start pushing Cyborg, Black Lightning, Katana, Static, Sideways, Vibe, Fire, Vixen, Bumblebee, Mal Duncan, Voodoo, El Dorado...etc. The more I think about it, the more I realize how stupid legacy is! All it does is create fan wars and split fan bases. I think the only time legacy does any good is when a new hero takes up a forgotten heroes mantle (ie Mr Terrific, Stargirl).
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Just forget those characters and start pushing Cyborg, Black Lightning, Katana, Static, Sideways, Vibe, Fire, Vixen, Bumblebee, Mal Duncan, Voodoo, El Dorado...etc. The more I think about it, the more I realize how stupid legacy is! All it does is create fan wars and split fan bases. I think the only time legacy does any good is when a new hero takes up a forgotten heroes mantle (ie Mr Terrific, Stargirl).
    I agree for the most part, and regardless of whether or not legacy characters get developed, original characters like Vixen, Bumblebee, Fire and Ice, Booster Gold, etc. definitely should be developed further.

My issue with a legacy character is when it's perceived that a legacy is somehow going to replace the original. I don't want Dick to replace Bruce, or Conner to replace Clark. I *like* Nightwing and 'Superboy' *more* than Batman and Superman, so that would be silly! I prefer them to grow into their own people, not push aside their mentors and wear somebody else's clothes.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I agree for the most part, and regardless of whether or not legacy characters get developed, original characters like Vixen, Bumblebee, Fire and Ice, Booster Gold, etc. definitely should be developed further.

My issue with a legacy character is when it's perceived that a legacy is somehow going to replace the original. I don't want Dick to replace Bruce, or Conner to replace Clark. I *like* Nightwing and 'Superboy' *more* than Batman and Superman, so that would be silly! I prefer them to grow into their own people, not push aside their mentors and wear somebody else's clothes.
    No exactly, I love Roy Harper, but I don't ever, ever, ever want him to be Green Arrow. He will always be Red Arrow to me.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    This may come as a surprise to many on here since Jaime Reyes is my favorite DC character of all time, but I definitely prefer original characters. With legacy it feels like we’re always competing for second place, and the White character that was replaced will always return to reclaim the mantle, because nostalgia. I mean just look at what’s happening to Jaime, Jason, Ryan, Cassandra, John...etc. I’d add Jessica to that list but she’s being treated like Supwrgirl/Batgirl/Hawkgirl (ie female counterpart to a male hero).

I agree, legacy (replacement) heroes creates division and animosity between DC comic fans instead of unifying them, it becomes especially awkward when race or gender are thrown in the mix. As much as I love Ted Kord I don't ever want to see Jamie Reyes replaced, because I know what it feels like to have your favourite characters replaced. Ideally it would be great to have two running Blue Beetle comics, if at all possible.

Original characters for the most part always return, even the great legacy example of Wally West was eventually replaced by Barry Allen.

Personally, I have no preference.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    No exactly, I love Roy Harper, but I don't ever, ever, ever want him to be Green Arrow. He will always be Red Arrow to me.
    Yes. Definitely! He's a redhead, I don't want to see him in Green Arrow's costume, he'll look like a Christmas elf...

And other reasons, less shallow.

(I actually prefer him as Arsenal, diversifying to other weapons, and not just bows, than 'Red Arrow,' actually. It seemed like Robin-to-Nightwing, more of a sideways promotion away from being 'Batboy' to something new, and I prefer that. Plus after the whole spectum lantern thing, the presence of a Green Arrow and a Red Arrow suggests that an Arrow Corps isn't far behind, with Yellow Arrows and Blue Arrows and Beige Arrows and Plaid Arrows... That way lies madness.)