• Legacy Heroes

43 40.19%
  • Original Heroes

64 59.81%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Legacy vs Original Characters

There was an interesting debate going on in the 5G thread that I think warrants it’s own thread and discussion. Basically, while all agreed that diversity is important, many disagreed on how to go about it. Some argued that legacy is the only way to introduce new diverse characters and have them stick, while others argued original characters not attached to another heroes mantle was the way to go. What do you think?

Here are some numbers:

LEGACY
    Kyle Rayner (182 solo issues)
    John Stewart (80 solo issues)
    Batgirl (79 solo issues)
    Blue Beetle (72 solo issues)
    Jessica Cruz (56 solo issues)
    Firestorm (56 solo issues)
    Simon Baz (54 solo issues)
    Connor Hawke (36 solo issues)
    *Batwing (35 solo issues)
    *El Diablo (34 solo issues)
    The Atom (26 solo issues)
    Super-Man (24 solo issues)
    Dr Fate (18 solo issues)

*Two versions share that number.

ORIGINAL
    Static (59 solo issues)
    Arak (56 solo issues)
    Steel (53 solo issues)
    Hardware (50 solo issues)
    Cyborg (42 solo issues)
    Icon (41 solo issues)
    Black Lightning (36 solo issues)
    Xombi (28 solo issues)
    Katana (22 solo issues)
    Silencer (18 solo issues)
    Kobalt (16 solo issues)
    Sideways (13 solo issues)
    Voodoo (12 solo issues)

Just some numbers I’ve gathered to compare success rate in leading solo stories between legacy and non legacy heroes. Seems like it’s a race to see who gets to the century mark first! Though I didn’t add Kyle Rayner who is well past the century mark, since his inclusion would be quite controversial. What do you prefer? Legacy? Or Original mantles?
    Last edited by Samm; 10-31-2020 at 05:40 PM.

I prefer legacy characters, but that has to do mainly why I like DC comics. See I’m someone who loves DC sense of history and tradition in its characters, I genuinely enjoy seeing something like Jay Garrick be the first flash, who then inspires Barry Allen, who then train Wally West and so on and so forth. I like seeing members of the JSA who are the children or grandchildren of old heroes, I like seeing Jon and Damian, I like seeing Ted Kord train Jaime Reyes or Kent Nelson train Khalid Nassour, who is his grand-nephew. So yeah that’s why I prefer legacy’s as I feel they add more to the world and creates deeper foundations in the universe.

As for the main argument, that’s hard to say. I personally have gotten attached to newer characters like Sideways and most definitely Static and Cyborg, but I will admit that I’m much more likely to read someone who is a new legacy like Kenan Kong the Chinese superman because he’s connected to Superman over say some completely new original Asian character I’ve never heard of. That’s not to say I won’t come back around if I hear good things which is how I work with my Indie comics but I’m not likely to start with it from the beginning.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

For me it’s a character by character basis.

Mr. Terrific? Michael Holt is my guy. I find him more interesting than Terry.

The Atom? Ray Palmer is my guy. I find Ray a lot more interesting than Ryan.

The Flash? Jay, Wally, Barry, in that order.

I am not one over the other, it’s completely in the character and the teams behind those characters.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Same. I'm all about the legacy Michael Holt/Mr. Terrific or Danette Reilley/Firebrand, but the original Kent Nelson/Dr. Fate or Helena Wayne/Huntress. Sometimes I like the new Wally or John/Kyle over the older Hal or Barry, or even older Alan and Jay, but other times I'm all about the new shiny Jaime Reyes over Ted Kord or that Garrett guy.

Other times, I'm right in the middle, preferring Dick, Tim and Jason to Bruce at the one end, and Damien, at the other, or preferring Superboy-Conner in the middle, to Superboy-Clark before, or Superboy-Jon, after.

It's a total crap shoot.

Astonishing Member

Like others have said I judge them on a character basis. I do like numerous DC legacies, and I don't like it when DC subverts them to let the originals take over - like Hal and Barry. DC has an edge over Marvel with pushing legacies yet its been undermined too much over the years.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Like others have said I judge them on a character basis. I do like numerous DC legacies, and I don't like it when DC subverts them to let the originals take over - like Hal and Barry. DC has an edge over Marvel with pushing legacies yet its been undermined too much over the years.
    For a time, it was why I was more of a DC guy than a Marvel guy, their superior use of legacy characters and younger up-and-coming teen teams like the 'New' Teen Titans, back in the Wolfman/Perez days, who got handled, IMO, quite a bit better than the New Mutants, over at Marvel. Ditto Young Justice vs. the 'New X-Men,' later on. One company seemed to really be supporting their new characters, and the other, not so much.

And then it all went **** up, and if you weren't one of the 'big seven' Justice League characters, you might not even exist, and if you did exist, it would be to show up for a few panels and get your head punched off by Superpunk Prime. Yikes.

At least that 'age' seems to be over. For now. I heard that S-Prime might be coming back, just in time for me to be relieved that there's not a lot of characters I like active at DC for him to be killing off, at the moment...

Boisterously Confused

Mr. Terrific? Michael Holt is my guy. I find him more interesting than Terry.

The Atom? Ray Palmer is my guy. I find Ray a lot more interesting than Ryan.

I am not one over the other, it’s completely in the character and the teams behind those characters.
    I may not agree with his Flash order, I am otherwise ready to go to war at Jekyll's command on this topic.

No real particular preference. Of DC's two main "legacy" characters, Barry and Wally are kind of interchangeable to me as the Flash and while I prefer Hal far and away of the GLs, I'll read any good-reviewed GL content.

Though I don't really consider GL a legacy character.

Astonishing Member

I would love if time could actually pass inside the DC universe but I feel like that's not going to happen.

I’m okay with Jay being Earth 2 Flash and Barry being Earth 1 Flash, but in certain circumstances what would be so bad about just calling Barry The Streak or something? They already call him the Red Comet or whatever sometimes anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I’m okay with Jay being Earth 2 Flash and Barry being Earth 1 Flash, but in certain circumstances what would be so bad about just calling Barry The Streak or something? They already call him the Red Comet or whatever sometimes anyway.
    Because for about thirty years (pre-CoIE), Barry was the first/ONLY "The Flash" on his Earth. He earned that name and has a right to use it.

And he still would be for all intents and purposes, but he has quite a few different names already. Why not just make one of them more official?

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I prefer legacy characters, but that has to do mainly why I like DC comics.
    I think DC comics could generate the same passion without legacy characters. I think Barry would be a great and interesting character whether he was another Flash or not.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Legacy characters tend to work better when their is an established connection for me. Falcon or winter soldier being Cap I’m fine with. Some rando the writer just came up with is a much harder sell.

This poll really should have come with a neutral option.