Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How is Black Tarantula viewed amongst the Spider-Man fandom?

I remember reading his early appearances many years ago and loved his costume and thought he was pretty interesting. Is he still around? Do Spider-Man fans like him?

The MC2 version is my favorite, but the 616 version def. has potential.
    Bane similarities notwithstanding, he seems an interesting character. I’d like someone to write him for a defining story arc.

Oh yeah, that guy exists. I remember he was in a decent story or two.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelWarrior View Post
    I remember reading his early appearances many years ago and loved his costume and thought he was pretty interesting. Is he still around? Do Spider-Man fans like him?
    I liked his original appearances an awful lot and would love to see him return, especially as a potential antagonist for the Scarlet Spiders. I know the character was changed a bit in Daredevil and then PM&IF, but there are ways of dealing with those changes.

-Pav, who is all about the No-Prize...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Extraordinary Member

I thought he was a cool villain in the stories I read and figured that he had potential for more.

Then I heard he got a personality overhaul in Daredevil and that Daredevil kicked his ass.

Then I largely stopped thinking about the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    This is pretty much my feelings about him. I honestly at times forget he is a thing.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

He was in the Devil in Cell-Block D during Brubaker's Daredevil. He was pretty interesting in that.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic1967 View Post
    He was in the Devil in Cell-Block D during Brubaker's Daredevil. He was pretty interesting in that.
    Yeah, even if he got a serious depowering compared to how he was depicted in his initial Spider-Man appearances. That said, I did like the idea of him trying to go straight (even if acting as a vigilante) and working with Daredevil. Would have been interesting to see Spider-Man run into him again under those circumstances.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The build up to him was interesting, but ultimately nothing ever happened between him and Spidey to deem him memorable. I imagine DeFalco was doing a riff on Bane? They're both extremely similar (latino crime lords with luchador aesthetic) and the build up to him is reminiscent to Knightfall.

Overall, as a Spidey villain, he had potential, bit absolutely no one bothered to develop him further. Spider-Girl does give a glimpse of what DeFalco was planning for him had he stayed longer on TASM, and Fabian is probably better remembered than Carlos.

I really liked his further development in Daredevil. His redemption arc was well handled and would like to see more of him. But yeah, I no longer see him as a Spidey villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic1967 View Post
    Is this in trade form digitally?

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelWarrior View Post
    Is this in trade form digitally?
    The entirety of the Brubaker run is collected in three Ultimate Collections, all available digitally. Black Tarantula plays a supporting part through the entire run, so all 3 volumes are a must if BT is of your interest. He is also part of Daredevil's group after Matt becomes the new Kingpin during Andy Diggle's run (right after Brubaker) and plays a part in the Shadowland event.

There's also the one-shot Daredevil: Blood of the Tarantula, which to my surprise doesn't seem to have been collected anywhere.
    Last edited by Spider-Chan; 06-20-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    His relationship w. May was pretty cool; I always wanted it to pay off!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    His relationship w. May was pretty cool; I always wanted it to pay off!
    In Spider-Girl? Yeah, that was pretty cool, especially the black costume he got for her.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    The entirety of the Brubaker run is collected in three Ultimate Collections, all available digitally. Black Tarantula plays a supporting part through the entire run, so all 3 volumes are a must if BT is of your interest. He is also part of Daredevil's group after Matt becomes the new Kingpin during Andy Diggle's run (right after Brubaker) and plays a part in the Shadowland event.

There's also the one-shot Daredevil: Blood of the Tarantula, which to my surprise doesn't seem to have been collected anywhere.
    Thanks for this!

Astonishing Member

Underrated Spider-man villain. When he appeared it was like Bane in Knightfall, utterly terrifying and magnetic. My interest in him stopped when he started reforming in Daredevil. I preferred him as an addition to Spider-man rogues gallery.