View Poll Results: Should the X-Men be allowed to age?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

35 66.04%
  • NO

18 33.96%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Jean will always get to be young forever as Claremont planned so she can end up with Logan at the end of the universe.

I think Claremont wanted her to stay dead . Impermanence was his OG philosophy and a big factor in his leaving iirc

tbh ive never been too bothered by soap opera antics and death not meaning anything and characters weaving in and out, aging up and down...par for the course at this point. not too much of an extra suspension of disbelief and I dont think it kills as much narrative potential as its made out to

I'm torn on this topic. I want the X-men to be timeless heroes and I don't want Scott, Jean, and Ororo growing old and aging out. I've been a fan since I was 10 years old and it is odd that now I'm probably older than Scott and Jean. But I like that because I want younger people to identify with them like I did when I was a kid and how I identified with them as a college kid. I was college age during New X-men and identified so much with what both Scott and Jean were going through.

I'm mostly against characters having kids (like JDW says it ages them) and I would never have had Scott and Jean marry (again it ages them and makes them seem older.

With the resurrection protocols the X-men can age but still be young and strong. It allows them to age the younger characters but still keep the classic characters appearing to be in the nebulous mid 20s-early 30's range (which is what I prefer). The resurrection protocols solve the issue of too many beloved characters being killed off but it also allows the characters to age but not really show it (since they are effectively immortal now).

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I'm mostly against characters having kids (like JDW says it ages them) and I would never have had Scott and Jean marry (again it ages them and makes them seem older.
    So Reed and Sue are allowed to marry, and same with Hank/Janet or Wanda/Vision but Scott and Jean can't marry? Despite being younger than all those couples?

BANNED

Absolutely. The fact that the Big Two are mired in the status quo of the same characters being the focus are one of their biggest problems. They end up retreading the same plot threads with the same characters over and over again, and it just gets stale and boring, while preventing newer and fresher characters from gaining any sort of meaningful opportunity to establish themselves.

I will say, while it does create a bit of a conundrum in that characters can never truly age all that much in comics (they always get reverted to the status quo), in the films it was nice to see the actors and characters they portray age over the years. Both in FOX X-men films and the MCU.

Personally I enjoyed the risks Marvel took recently in the comics when they attempted to move some older heroes aside for legacy replacements, even though it didn’t all pan out in the end and fans clamored for the originals back. My belief is this was largely unsuccessful because they did it all at once rather than organically. But regardless, Laura as Wolverine was one of those things that I enjoyed, while Logan (or Old Man Logan rather) just went by “Logan.” IMO this would’ve worked better if it had been 616 Logan, however, who for some reason stopped going by Wolverine and stepped aside to let Laura become The Wolverine. In a recent issue of X-men she put the cowl back on and called herself Wolverine, so we’ll see if that’s coming back I suppose.

At any rate, they seem to be doing this in the MCU films with She-Hulk coming to Disney+, Jane Foster becoming Thor, Falcon becoming Cap and now supposedly Ironheart is going to show up as well. Perhaps there’s room for Laura to be the Wolverine in the MCU, while Logan goes down a very different path? The rumors point to him showing up as a villain first, or at least someone who is so messed up from Weapon X that he’s not going to immediately join up with the team and be a hero. So I suppose it’s possible that the X-men rescue Logan from Weapon X, but he doesn’t join the team right away. Rather he pops up in various places, including that rumored Hulk vs. Wolverine Dis+ series. In that series maybe he discovers The Facility and frees Laura, and then takes her to the school where she becomes The Wolverine? She takes that codename because she hears Nick Fury refer to Logan as Wolverine, which was his CIA codename. But he tells Fury he can’t remember that period of his life. At any rate, she takes to calling herself that and he simply goes by Weapon X in the MCU.

Yeah, the purists would hate it. But I actually think it could be a cool direction. And if they decided to go a little older with Logan, it would work quite well. Anyway, just thinking out loud here. But I’ve always found an older, more cynical and grizzled Logan to be the best Logan.

Voted yes.

How long will Rachel Summers stay in her mother's shadow? Franklin Richard be a child? I knew him almost since he was born and now two of my cousins are grand-mothers.

It becomes ridiculous, these characters stuck in time loops.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Well now with the Resurrection Protocols no characters truly have to age, however, there could be other ways to “age” them. Such as having the older, more longstanding X-men step aside and become more elder statesmen. Living on Krakoa, ruling as the Quiet Council, and advising the younger members who step to the forefront as the X-men. That could be a cool way for Hickman and the X-writers to progress the books forward, while still allowing readers to have their cake and eat it too. Just a thought.

I think in the future writers might get rid of the Resurrection Protocols

Case by case basis.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

It's a tough question. Allowing writers to conclude a character's story would result in stronger character arcs, but I just don't think that it works well for stories intended to be never ending. Regardless if people like it or not, certain characters have transcend beyond the comics, and people want to see those characters when they pick up these books. So I said no.

They can start aging after I’m too old to care