Amazing Member

Default Red Hood Outlaw #46 Preview/ Discussion (Spoilers)

Red Hood Outlaw #46

Source: https://graphicpolicy.com/2020/06/20...ood-outlaw-46/

Summary: Red Hood, Artemis, and Bizarro have their hands full-and until now they thought the biggest problem they had to face was the uprising of the Untitled during the political protests in Qurac! They’re about to learn this ancient race might very well be the lesser of two evils when the Outlaws square off against one of the oldest and most dangerous threats in all the DC Universe! (We’re not kidding-we know better than to say his name out loud! Yeah, he’s that scary!) Meanwhile, Artemis has united with Mistress-but at what price? Bizarro meets… his mother? And Jason is forced to choose between Essence and Isabel if he’s going to defeat the Untitled once and for all!
    Out of all the Robins, Jason Todd is my favourite

Gooddamn, every now and then you just remember "yep, this is THE definitive run for these characters." Lobdell has had his highs and lows on this title but he's done a great job crafting the mythos around Jason Todd over this run, he's really been fleshing out the lore of the Outlaws and this corner of the DC universe. the ball is gonna be in DC's court to make sure these things are carried over after he's done and in wider media down the line.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

This felt like the shortest preview in a while. It's because it had two splash pages, but still.

On the other hand, I dig this art more than the current, regular artist. I even like colours a bit more.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

As awful as New 52 Red Hood was, Rebirth has been pretty strong (primarily when dealing with the Dark Trinity).

DC should either let him conclude the book or simply relaunch afterward. And bring Dexter Soy back for the finale, dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    As awful as New 52 Red Hood was, Rebirth has been pretty strong (primarily when dealing with the Dark Trinity).

DC should either let him conclude the book or simply relaunch afterward. And bring Dexter Soy back for the finale, dammit.
    Yeah, in the spirit of closure I would rather they relaunch after Lobdell wraps up, maybe change the title or do a new numbering, but I want whoever to come on-board next to carry over these elements, which is never a certainty at DC. They've done a fantastic job introducing and fleshing out these characters and the Outlaws' mythology with Smartzarro, Artemis and Mistress, Jason's family past, Ma Gunn's Orphanage and GenOutlaw, the All-Caste, Suzie Su; so much great worldbuilding and character work done here that I don't wanna see squandered. Jason is the only bat-family member who legitimately feels like he has firmly stepped out of Bruce's shadow to fully BECOME, ya know? I would hate for that all to go away just because Lobdell left and DC is too lazy to make sure their next guy stays consistent. He and Priest are two of the only creators to actually pen compelling character-defining runs in the last decade and change, they're work should be respected for that.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

I shocked to see the hate for New 52 Jason, and the Outlaws by extension, still being peddled, to be honest. By and large, it was awesome even then, and what made me fall in love with Jason and the concept of the Outlaws in the first place.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

After two strong issues, this is a bit of a disappointment. And once again, due to how rushed things are happening.

Plot beats that would've been interesting to see developed are solved as quickly as they get introduced and in one case, it even happens off-screen. Don't get me wrong, the story is still solid and is going to interesting directions but everything is going too fast. Ironically, this seems to happen to every plotline I enjoy, while the ones that I don't find that interesting are the ones that go and go for far more issues than they should.

oh lord I swear to god Lobdell, you better not be doing what I think you're doing with Bizarro!

currently following:

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    oh lord I swear to god Lobdell, you better not be doing what I think you're doing with Bizarro!
    Feels like a bait and switch to me. I still think Essence or New 52 Jason is the one bitting the dust.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Red Hood, Artemis, and Bizarro have their hands full-and until now they thought the biggest problem they had to face was the uprising of the Untitled during the political protests in Qurac! They’re about to learn this ancient race might very well be the lesser of two evils when the Outlaws square off against one of the oldest and most dangerous threats in all the DC Universe! (We’re not kidding-we know better than to say his name out loud! Yeah, he’s that scary!)
    Meanwhile, Artemis has united with Mistress-but at what price? Bizarro meets...his mother? And Jason is forced to choose between Essence and Isabel if he’s going to defeat the Untitled once and for all!
    There wasn't really a price, was there? And Artemis switching back to her old look "magical girl style" was definitely a satisfying panel.
    I guess the mother story was ditched. It's probably for the better. It doesn't really fit in with the rest.
    Jason also didn't have to choose but maybe that will happen in the next issue. Jason still doesn't know that Essence has taken over Isabel's body - and Essence does look regretful at the end of the issue.

I wonder how they'll transition to the Joker War tie-in. Maybe they will somehow use the Chamber of All to transfer Jason to the place where Punchline and Dick are waiting. There's a part of the Chamber that suspiciously looks like Joker's mouth.