Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default History of Justice League roster.

Try as I might, I just can't seem to get a nice, simple listing of the history of the JLA roster, which I'm very interested in. From various sources, I can ascertain teh following.

The Brave and the Bold #28 - The team forms with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and J'onn J'onzz. 7 members.
    #4 - Green Arrow joins. 8 members.
    #14 - The Atom joins. 9 members.
    #31 - Hawkman joins. 10 members

After that, I'm assuming I'm missing certain points where people leave, so I can't put up numbers. But this is what I've got.

#69 Wonder Woman leaves
    #71 Martian Manhunter leaves.
    #75 Black Canary joins.
    #103 Phantom Stranger, kinda, but not really joins, and is rarely seen again.
    #105 Elongated Man joins
    #106 Red Tornado joins
    #109 Hawkman leaves
    #117 Hawkman rejoins
    #128 Wonder Woman joins
    #133 Supergirl joins
    #146 Hawkgirl joins
    #161 Zatanna joins
    #179 Firestorm joins
    #230 Martian Manhunter rejoins.

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Atom, Hawkman, Black Canary, Elongated Man, Red Tornado, Supergirl, Hawkgirl, Zatanna, and Firestorm, then, were all the members.

Annual #2 - Apparently, in this issue, the roster consists of Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Hawkman, Hawkwoman, Elongated Man, Zatanna, Firestorm, and Red Tornado (10 members), so I'm definitely missing the points where Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, and Atom l

Then the new team consisted of Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Elongated Man, Zatanna, and newcomers Steel, Vibe, and Vixen (7 members), with Gypsy joining soon after (8).

So yeah, at least as far as that goes, if anyone can fill in the gaps, that would be awesome.
    Last edited by Slimybug; 08-13-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    Try as I might, I just can't seem to get a nice, simple listing of the history of the JLA roster, which I'm very interested in. From various sources, I can ascertain teh following.

The Brave and the Bold #28 - The team forms with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and J'onn J'onzz. 7 members.
    #4 - Green Arrow joins. 8 members.
    #14 - The Atom joins. 9 members.
    #31 - Hawkman joins. 10 members

After that, I'm assuming I'm missing certain points where people leave, so I can't put up numbers. But this is what I've got.

#69 Wonder Woman leaves
    #71 Martian Manhunter leaves.
    #75 Black Canary joins.
    #103 Phantom Stranger, kinda, but not really joins, and is rarely seen again.
    #105 Elongated Man joins
    #106 Red Tornado joins
    #109 Hawkman leaves
    #117 Hawkman rejoins
    #128 Wonder Woman joins
    #133 Supergirl joins
    #146 Hawkgirl joins
    #161 Zatanna joins
    #179 Firestorm joins
    #230 Martian Manhunter rejoins.

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Atom, Hawkman, Black Canary, Elongated Man, Red Tornado, Supergirl, Hawkgirl, Zatanna, and Firestorm.
    Annual #2 - Apparently, in this issue, the roster consists of Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Hawkman, Hawkwoman, Elongated Man, Zatanna, Firestorm, and Red Tornado (10 members), so I'm definitely missing the points where Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, and Atom l

Then the new team consisted of Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Elongated Man, Zatanna, and newcomers Steel, Vibe, and Vixen (7 members), with Gypsy joining soon after (8).

So yeah, at least as far as that goes, if anyone can fill in the gaps, that would be awesome.
    Supergirl never joined. She was a popular choice in the lettercolumns but Zatanna and Firestorm got added, instead.
    I think if JL Detroit hadn't happened and she had survived Crisis, she would have been the next logical member.

Try these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...League_members - List of all members, although Sue is missing from the supporting cast for JL Detroit and JLE, and I don't believe Phantom Stranger was ever officially a member.
    http://www.dcindexes.com/features/in...on=appearances -JLA Index Part 1 (pre-Legends)
    http://www.dcindexes.com/features/in...on=appearances -JLA Index Part 2 (post-Legends) Note: Index stops at JLI #21

Something that is interesting is that for the League's first 27 years, they had a maximum number of 20 members (not counting Phantom Stranger).
    Then after 1987 the roster just exploded.
    This also happened to the Avengers.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 08-13-2014 at 04:49 PM.

Part of the problem may be whether you're looking for the historical line-ups from outside the world of the comic book stories or if you're looking for in-continuity line ups. Because after Crisis on Infinite Earths, Wonder Woman was no longer an in-continuity founding member . . . Black Canary was retconned into that position. (After Infinite Crisis, Wonder Woman was re-retconned into being an original member.)

Incredible Member

Thank you so much. Yes, I'm looking from an outside-universe perspective. I can get where various people joined. But what's puzzling me is trying to figure out where various people left and rejoined, and unless I want to read summaries of every single issue, no source seems to tell me that.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Supergirl never joined. She was a popular choice in the lettercolumns but Zatanna and Firestorm got added, instead.
    I think if JL Detroit hadn't happened and she had survived Crisis, she would have been the next logical member.

Try these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...League_members - List of all members, although Sue is missing from the supporting cast for JL Detroit and JLE, and I don't believe Phantom Stranger was ever officially a member.
    http://www.dcindexes.com/features/in...on=appearances -JLA Index Part 1 (pre-Legends)
    http://www.dcindexes.com/features/in...on=appearances -JLA Index Part 2 (post-Legends) Note: Index stops at JLI #21

Something that is interesting is that for the League's first 27 years, they had a maximum number of 20 members (not counting Phantom Stranger).
    Then after 1987 the roster just exploded.
    This also happened to the Avengers.

I think Batgirl(Barbara Gordon) was supposed to be the next new member if JLDetroit hadn't happened from some comments made in the letter column plus Batman had just quit the team to help form The Outsiders so having Batgirl take his place seems to make sense.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    Thank you so much. Yes, I'm looking from an outside-universe perspective. I can get where various people joined. But what's puzzling me is trying to figure out where various people left and rejoined, and unless I want to read summaries of every single issue, no source seems to tell me that.
    Is this just for the original League are you talking the various Leagues up to the Flashpoint reboot?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Is this just for the original League are you talking the various Leagues up to the Flashpoint reboot?
    The latter would be awesome, but I'm mainly concerned with up to the crisis.

Retired

Snapper Carr was an honourary member and participated in numerous cases.

I believe Supergirl was considered a reserve member, which is why she was called up to serve but this didn't happen very often.

Adam Strange would probably be considered a reserve or honourary member. He was under consideration for full membership, but never offered it. Metamorpho was offered membership but turned it down. I think Black Lightning was offered membership and turned it down, as well.

Members would take leaves of absence. So Snapper took a leave of absence, as did Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter--but the door was left open for them to return. Green Lantern and Green Arrow were on LoA for their cross-country journey. And as noted, Hawkman (with Hawkgirl) took leave to return to Thanagar. Aquaman was probably on unofficial leave as he's missing from a lot adventures (in reality, writers had difficulty with using him in their stories).

The Flash was voted out of the League for the duration of his trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Snapper Carr was an honourary member and participated in numerous cases.

I believe Supergirl was considered a reserve member, which is why she was called up to serve but this didn't happen very often.

Adam Strange would probably be considered a reserve or honourary member. He was under consideration for full membership, but never offered it. Metamorpho was offered membership but turned it down. I think Black Lightning was offered membership and turned it down, as well.

Members would take leaves of absence. So Snapper took a leave of absence, as did Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter--but the door was left open for them to return. Green Lantern and Green Arrow were on LoA for their cross-country journey. And as noted, Hawkman (with Hawkgirl) took leave to return to Thanagar. Aquaman was probably on unofficial leave as he's missing from a lot adventures (in reality, writers had difficulty with using him in their stories).

The Flash was voted out of the League for the duration of his trial.
    Snapper Carr was kicked out for revealing the location of the hideout.

Was J'onn really absent from the team for nearly 15 years? That seems crazy, as he was so often regarded as the guy who stuck it out through all incarnations.

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    Was J'onn really absent from the team for nearly 15 years? That seems crazy, as he was so often regarded as the guy who stuck it out through all incarnations.
    Are you thinking the pre-CoIE or the post-CoIE of Martian Manhunter?

I suppose most of the references I'm referring to would be post crisis. But I was under the impression that the silver age stuff still occurred, with some changes. I guess that would qualify.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Blueferret View Post
    Snapper Carr was kicked out for revealing the location of the hideout.
    It wasn't that clear cut. The League find out that Snapper betrayed them and he says he was tired of being their mascot, but there's never a scene (as far as I can see) where he's told to leave or where he quits. He's just not in the team after that. I get the feeling (from other stories about Snapper) that it was his own sense of guilt that stopped him from trying to patch things up with his friends.

This is how i have it up until the original series ended.

Brave and the Bold #28 (February-March, 1960):
    - Justice League of America forms prior to this issue with members consisting of J'onn J'onzz/Martian Manhunter, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Superman and Batman. The order in which they joined is confirmed in Justice League of America #9 (February, 1962).
    - Snapper Carr becomes an honorary member.
    - Note 1: Post Crisis on Infinite Earth Black Canary is retconed into a founding member while Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman are retconed out as founding members.
    - Note 2: Post Infinite Crisis Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman are retconed back into founding members as well as leaving Black Canary a founding member.

Justice League of America #4 (April-May, 1961):
    - Green Arrow joins as a full member.

Justice League of America #14 (September, 1962):
    - The Atom joins as a full member.

Justice League of America #31 (November, 1964):
    - Hawkman joins as a full member.

Justice League of America #42 (February, 1966):
    - Metamorpho is given stand-by membership in the League.

Justice League of America #51 (February, 1967):
    - In the Amazing World of DC Comics #14 (March, 1977) Zatanna is listed as an "Alternate Status" member prior to her full membership in Justice League of America #161 (December, 1978). If this is to be believed the most likely place for this to have occurred is behind the scenes following this issue.
    - Note: This is disputed as having happened.

Justice League of America #60 (February, 1968):
    - In the Amazing World of DC Comics #14 (March, 1977) Batgirl is listed as an "Honorary Member." If this is to be believed the most likely place for this to have occurred is behind the scenes following this issue.

Justice League of America #69 (February, 1969):
    Wonder Woman takes a leave of absence.

Justice League of America #71 (May, 1969):
    - J'onn J'onzz resigns this issue but retains "Honorary" membership as listed in the Amazing World of DC Comics #14 (March, 1977).

Justice League of America #74 (September, 1969):
    - Black Canary leaves Earth-2 to journey to Earth-1 with the League but dies in route, behind the scenes, and is replaced by her daughter Black Canary II Which is revealed in Justice League of America #220 (November, 1983).
    - Note 1: Up until issue #220 it is believed that the Black Canary that Joins in Justice League of America #75 (November, 1969) is the original.
    - Note 2: This is retconed out post Crisis on Infinite Earths as never to have happened.

Justice League of America #75 (November, 1969):
    - Black Canary II joins as a full member but is believed to be Black Canary I until issue #220.
    - Note: See notes on issue #74.

Justice League of America #77 (December, 1969):
    - Snapper Carr resigns from the League.

Justice League of America #79 (March, 1970):
    - In the Amazing World of DC Comics #14 (March, 1977) Vigilante is listed as an "Honorary Member." If this is to be believed the most likely place for this to have occurred is behind the scenes following this issue.

Justice League of America #99 (June, 1972):
    - Sargon the Sorcerer is awarded honorary membership.

Justice League of America #103 (December, 1972):
    - Phantom Stranger voted into full membership but leaves prior to acknowledging his membership.

Justice League of America #105 (May, 1973):
    - Elongated Man joins as a full member.

Justice League of America #106 (July-August, 1973):
    - Red Tornado joins as a full member.

Justice League of America #109 (January-February, 1974):
    - Hawkman resigns.

Justice League of America #110 (March-April, 1974):
    - In the Amazing World of DC Comics #14 (March, 1977) Green Lantern (John Stewart) is listed as an "Honorary Member." If this is to be believed the most likely place for this to have occurred is behind the scenes following this issue.
    - Note: Who's Who: The Definite Directory of the DC Universe #9 (November, 1985) list John as a "Support Member." His honorary membership is disputed as having happened since though.

Justice League of America #117 (April, 1975):
    - Hawkman rejoins the League.
    - Charley Parker is being considered for honorary membership and is listed as an "Honorary Member" in the Amazing World of DC Comics #14 (March, 1977). His honorary membership would have to been awarded, behind the scenes, after this issue if it is to be believed but has been disputed since.

Wonder Woman #222 (February-March, 1976):
    - Wonder Woman rejoins the League.

Justice League of America #129 (April, 1976):
    - Red Tornado destroyed.

DC Special #27 (May, 1977):
    - Captain Comet awarded honorary membership.

Justice League of America #145 (August, 1977):
    - Red Tornado returns to life.

Justice League of America #146 (September, 1977):
    - Phantom Stranger Acknowledges his membership but is considered an honorary member from this point on as listed in the Amazing World of DC Comics #14
    (March, 1977).
    - Red Tornado rejoins.
    - Hawkgirl joins as a full member.

Justice League of America #161 (December, 1978):
    - Zatanna joins as a full member.

Justice League of America #173 (December, 1979)
    - Black Lightning declines a membership offer.

Justice League of America #174 (January, 1980):
    - Black Lightning reaffirms his decision to decline membership.

Justice League of America #175 (February, 1980):
    - Red Tornado resigns from and then rejoins the League.

Justice League of America #179 (June, 1980):
    - Firestorm joins as a full member.

Justice League of America #181 (August, 1980):
    - Green Arrow resigns.

Justice League of America #200 (March, 1982):
    - Green Arrow rejoins the League.

Batman and the Outsiders #1 (August, 1983):
    - Batman resigns from the League.

Justice League of America Annual #1 (1983):
    - Sandman (Garrett Sanford) declines membership in the League.

Justice League of America #220 (November, 1983):
    - The Black Canary who joined the League in issue #75 is revealed to be the daughter of the original Black Canary.

Justice League of America Annual #2 (1984):
    - The Justice League of America disbands an a new Justice League of America (II) is formed with members Aquaman, Zatanna, Elongated Man, J'onn J'onzz, Vixen, Steel and Vibe.
    - Gypsy remains an unofficial member until Justice League of America #236 (March, 1985).
    - Dale Gunn is staff at the bunker which confers honorary membership as of the JLA/Avengers 2003 limited series.

Justice League of America #236 (March, 1985):
    - Gypsy officially becomes a full member of the team.

Justice League of America #243 (October, 1985):
    - Aquaman leaves the League.

Crisis on Infinite Earths #8 (November, 1985):
    - Flash dies.

Justice League of America #250 (May, 1986):
    - Batman joins the new Justice League.

Justice League of America #257 (December, 1986):
    - Zatanna leaves the league

Justice League of America #258 (January, 1987):
    - Elongated Man leaves the League.
    - Vibe dies.

Justice League of America #260 (March, 1987):
    - Steel dies.
    - Gypsy leaves the League.

Justice League of America #261 (April, 1987):
    - Vixen leaves the League.

Legends #6 (April, 1987):
    - J'onn J'onzz reveals the League has disbanded
    - The new Justice League is formed with members Doctor Fate, Batman, J'onn J'onzz, Black Canary, Captain Marvel and Blue Beetle.
    - Green Lantern (Guy Gardner) agrees to consider membership, Changeling declines to remain with the Titans, Flash (Wally West) and Superman decline but agree to be there if needed and Wonder Woman leaves prior to receiving a membership offer.

Justice League #1 (May, 1987):
    - The new Justice League begins.

Things i have yet to place:
    - Amazing World of DC Comics #14 (March, 1977) lists Hawkgirl and Supergirl as having "Alternate Member" Status. This had to happen behind the scenes, if to be believed, just haven't narrowed down what issues yet. This has been disputed since. Both of these would have occurred pre Crisis on Infinite Earths only
    - Amazing World of DC Comics #14 (March, 1977) lists Adam Strange as having "Honorary Member" Status. This had to happen behind the scenes, if to be believed, just haven't narrowed down what issue yet. This has been disputed since.
    - Superman and Batman's retroactive membership status post Crisis on Infinite Earths/pre Infinite Crisis.
    - Hawkgirl changes her name to Hawkwoman. (Pre Crisis on Infinite Earth only).
    - Hawkwoman's first appearance with the League using the Hawkwoman alias. (Pre Crisis on Infinite Earth only).
    Last edited by Lonewolf36; 08-14-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    His return was epic. The War of the Worlds is one of my favorite stories.