Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Setting aside real world physics, this is very good to know. Do you happen to remember the issue number?
    Up In The Sky #6, I believe.

If you get a chance to read it, let me know the full context please!
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

OK so, first off, good issue, promising series, want to read the rest of it later.

As for the feat... While the dude was trying to get Clark to give up and all, he seemed convinced that what he was saying was true. He also built a robot army which overwhelmed the collective super hero population of Earth. I'm inclined to believe him on the construction and use of the chains.

But Tom King, the author, isn't much for consistent power levels. He's had Harley Quinn escape Clark, Diana, and Bruce at the same time. Dude cares more about capturing like... mythological emotion, is how I'd put it? So I could also see taking this with a grain of salt.

So I'd say it is a legit feat within the context of the story but I'm not sure it fits with the current Superman mythos as a whole. But Rebirth Clark is also deliberately hanging out on planets as they explode and emerging without a scratch, and the whole shattering a planet on the dregs of power thing... I dunno, dude seems to be living up to being the sum of his parts as far as composites go.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 06-23-2020 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    HAH! My trap worked! Attenborough, now is your chance to study the wild Beadle up close!
    My my, what's this?

The rare and elusive Beadleious Duckolosophus?

I...

*cough* *cough* *wheeze*

Oh forgive me. I've only just returned from my foray past Jupiter, and suffice to say not only am I winded; but I seem to have come down with a case of the Cosmic Flu. Not to mention I came away empty handed... for a Gorilla of that magnitude it is quite elusive... Yet and still, here I stand! Ready to appraise yet another magnificent specimen here in the wondrous "Planet CBR"! So let's dig in, shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Dude, you may be safe from the wild, ravenous pack of Pendarans (cue Cthulhu Attenborough), but I can’t let you get away with that.

A Segway is a two-wheeled powered scootery-thing. A link from one topic to another is a segue.

You’re never safe from Beadle, the Ever-Vigilant Grammar Nazi.
    Oh what fun!

It would appear the Arbitus Twoamus has fallen for one of nature's oldest blunders! Attempting to trap a Beadleious Duckolosophus. A creature known, among other things, for its ability (most fowl) to swoop in and deliver a well-timed and razor sharp peck from its duck bill to the oft times exposed carotid. Though this fowl beastie does not consume the quick-to-be deceased, no, no! It simply returns as swift as its come back to its roost... seemingly content with bloodshed; and I must say. It's form was perfect.

Arbitus' attempt, while laudable, suffered a fatal flaw. Spelling... and if Sir Cthulhu Attenbourough knows one thing, it's just how words-wise the Duckolosophus is. Why, such is the grace and skill of the Beadleious Duckolosophus' counter-trap...ery: not even the Significant Otter wielding the mighty Lamethrower, nor the Sliver Surfer stand a fuc- oh?

It would appear my producer has told me I'm not allowed to say the word 'fucking'. Not posh enough, I suppose. Ahh...

*sips tea*

Delightful. Simply delightful.

In any case! In sight of all this fowl majesty, not even I, Sir Cthulhu Attenbourough, can sit and poshly sip my post-voyage tea; without taking some few moments to ponder in awe.

4654b5.jpg

And on that note.

This has been Sir Cthulhu Attenbourough's Planet CBR, and I will see you next time.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    My my, what's this?

The rare and elusive Beadleious Duckolosophus?

I...

*cough* *cough* *wheeze*

Oh forgive me. I've only just returned from my foray past Jupiter, and suffice to say not only am I winded; but I seem to have come down with a case of the Cosmic Flu. Not to mention I came away empty handed... for a Gorilla of that magnitude it is quite elusive... Yet and still, here I stand! Ready to appraise yet another magnificent specimen here in the wondrous "Planet CBR"! So let's dig in, shall we?

Oh what fun!

It would appear the Arbitus Twoamus has fallen for one of nature's oldest blunders! Attempting to trap a Beadleious Duckolosophus. A creature known, among other things, for its ability (most fowl) to swoop in and deliver a well-timed and razor sharp peck from its duck bill to the oft times exposed carotid. Though this fowl beastie does not consume the quick-to-be deceased, no, no! It simply returns as swift as its come back to its roost... seemingly content with bloodshed; and I must say. It's form was perfect.

Arbitus' attempt, while laudable, suffered a fatal flaw. Spelling... and if Sir Cthulhu Attenbourough knows one thing, it's just how words-wise the Duckolosophus is. Why, such is the grace and skill of the Beadleious Duckolosophus' counter-trap...ery: not even the Significant Otter wielding the mighty Lamethrower, nor the Sliver Surfer stand a fuc- oh?

It would appear my producer has told me I'm not allowed to say the word 'fucking'. Not posh enough, I suppose. Ahh...

*sips tea*

Delightful. Simply delightful.

In any case! In sight of all this fowl majesty, not even I, Sir Cthulhu Attenbourough, can sit and poshly sip my post-voyage tea; without taking some few moments to ponder in awe.

4654b5.jpg

And on that note.

This has been Sir Cthulhu Attenbourough's Planet CBR, and I will see you next time.

Every now and then, I get reminders like this as to why I love this site.

Thank you Cthulhu.

I needed this.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Best thread ever?

Best thread ever.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

So...does this mean that Doc Samson won't be revealing his new understanding on dissociative identity disorder this year?
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

As this thread has turned into... things... and as nothing has otherwise really refuted the point I'm noting here as far as why the chains thing isn't remotely on par with the star tossing bit, I'm just going to mention that the wild inconsistencies, mind blowing stupidity of his enemies and what all else could be said about Superboy Prime, I'm going to note that the Imp thing happened while he was temporarily powered up, on top of everything else.

Oh, and also I hate you all. But that's like a given at this point.

What ho, have we been graced by a brief appearance by the Pendaran Rex?

Truly this is a magnificent day.

*sips tea*

Ahhh. Simply delightful.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Also, wouldn't breaking those chains, and shattering a planet just by jumping off of it coincide with a guy who benched Earths weight for days on end while only shedding a single drop of sweat? I wouldn't really say they are all that far above that feat tbh, considering the ease he was benching it. I'm probably wrong though...

Hows Supermans speed and durability these days? Does he have any lightspeed+ feats yet?
    In the same series where he snapped those chains he beat the Flash outright in a race for I think the first time ever. They made a point of noting that they were both trying their best to win the race too.

Idk how that stacks up against some other stuff though recently there was a comic where Daxamites nearly caught up to Barry Allen going his fastest, as in trying to break through the time barrier

DC just doesn’t have any control over the power-creep with their characters, does it? Or their continuity.

It’s like the power cache and the continuity conflicts build up to a point where only a hard reboot can get the system operating again.

Here’s a crazy idea. At least for about 50 major characters, define how powerful they are and what their backstory is at the point of the next reboot and then just editorially enforce that. Like forever. Maybe they could grow a little over the course of several years, but not a power boost every time they see an ad break on their favourite TV show.

Just to clarify, are we talking about the reprints of the Walmart comics at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Just to clarify, are we talking about the reprints of the Walmart comics at this point?
    Yes. The Wallmart comics that themselves reprinted and included older (canon) Superman and other stories.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    Yes. The Wallmart comics that themselves reprinted and included older (canon) Superman and other stories.
    Yyyeaaaah, but that doesn't really make any of the new stuff in them canon is I guess my thing. The new material was published as Walmart exclusives before that whole project fell apart.

Was that ever cleared up anywhere thereby? Where all that material sits I mean.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    DC just doesn’t have any control over the power-creep with their characters, does it? Or their continuity.

It’s like the power cache and the continuity conflicts build up to a point where only a hard reboot can get the system operating again.

Here’s a crazy idea. At least for about 50 major characters, define how powerful they are and what their backstory is at the point of the next reboot and then just editorially enforce that. Like forever. Maybe they could grow a little over the course of several years, but not a power boost every time they see an ad break on their favourite TV show.
    You are right! It's a crazy idea.

You know that the DC editorial staff sits in a darkened conference room, around a table with a glass box, inside of which lies a gleaming red button, upon which is revealed the word "reboot" in flowing engraved text. It's a standoff, all waiting for the slightest twitch from all of the others. Eyes squinted, nerves on fire, wanting to be the one, the one who next presses that button.

You know this.

DC continuity is like Argentinian presidents in 2001.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan