Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I admit I don’t read much Justice League but has that ever really been a thing in a JL book? The only thing coming to mind is Plastic-Man being a creep for comic relief.
    I don't remember it.
    Not taking away from them having a another woman on the team but I agree with others in that her and Hawkgirl’s interactions always came off as childish to me.
    Was this before or after Shayera got revealed to be a mole for hostile aliens who were planning to blow up the Earth? 'cause after that even Kimiyo Hoshi hated her, IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by mabromov View Post
    The JL show practically broke new ground by having two female members as part of the main 7.
    Superfriends season 1: only 4 main cast really. WW, Superman, Batman, Aquaman, everyone else was a sidekick... one of the sidekicks was a girl though.
    Later cast additions included a total of 16 other heroes that appeared in at least one episode(or comic book) as a member of the league. Of which three were female: Jayna, Hawkgirl, and Rima(a character so minor I didn't even recognize the name and I saw that episode) So yeah, JL and JLU were an improvement. If you count the tie-in comics(which is only fair since I did that with Superfriends) there are 71 current or former members of the League(including Lobo who was kicked out after trying to join, and Longshadow who was a Cadmus clone and died due to being defective). 15 of which are female.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I admit I don’t read much Justice League but has that ever really been a thing in a JL book? The only thing coming to mind is Plastic-Man being a creep for comic relief.

Not taking away from them having a another woman on the team but I agree with others in that her and Hawkgirl’s interactions always came off as childish to me.
    A recent example of this would be from the new 52, in Justice League: Origins.

You got Superman giving her doey eyed looks, and Shazam, a prepubescent boy hitting on Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Was this before or after Shayera got revealed to be a mole for hostile aliens who were planning to blow up the Earth? 'cause after that even Kimiyo Hoshi hated her, IIRC.
    It seemed kind of snippy and petty before Hawkgirl was exposed as the mole, but it really blew up afterward. Of the original JL members, WW was the only one who didn't seem to get over it. It's said in a later episode that the vote whether or not to kick out Hawkgirl was a deadlock that Superman broke, voting in favor to keep her. GL recused himself, so it was up to Flash, MM, Superman, Batman, and WW to decide her fate. Presumably, Batman and WW voted to kick her out; it's never overtly stated, but it's pretty easy to infer IMO. But even afterward, you don't see any outward animosity from Batman toward HG. It felt like his decision to kick her out was strictly business, but WW took it personally.

I'm a JL/JLU fan and I think it does a lot toward diversity and inclusion, but that's a separate topic to whether or not WW in the show is good.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    It felt like his decision to kick her out was strictly business, but WW took it personally
    You could argue that she took it personally precisely because she was deceived and betrayed by another woman. It's not exactly out of character for Diana:
    RCO008.jpg
    And she did forgive her eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    You could argue that she took it personally precisely because she was deceived and betrayed by another woman. It's not exactly out of character for Diana:
    I thought about that, but there was no real camaraderie between the two to begin with. It was more adding to the list of reasons why WW doesn't like HG, and vice versa. The only real history the characters had up until reconciling was mostly taking shots at one another when they (frequently) disagreed on an issue.

It works as an intro to WW but its not really a deep dive exploration of WW and her mythos. To be fair it's not a deep exploration of the Flash either.

Some aspects like Diana's response to the idea of Hades being her father was better than the comics.

You got Superman giving her doey eyed looks, and Shazam, a prepubescent boy hitting on Wonder Woman.
    Well, stuff like that is why I generally don't really read much Justice League. And WW getting treated like that in the comics doesn't really mean the DCAU is excused, it just means it sucks in either medium.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I thought about that, but there was no real camaraderie between the two to begin with. It was more adding to the list of reasons why WW doesn't like HG, and vice versa. The only real history the characters had up until reconciling was mostly taking shots at one another when they (frequently) disagreed on an issue.
    Just because they had disagreements doesn't mean Diana didn't consider her a sister. And they had nice moments too, in the "Terror Beyond" episode for example. And even in "Fury" they worked together just fine despite Hawkgirl's unfavorable views on the Amazons.

Incredible Member

I don't remember much from Shazam, Hal however was well... Hal, but least wonder woman was interested in superman and vice versa. Wonder woman trying to make batman open up his feelings which ultimately failed wasn't really anything healthy, and given what happened in the latest episode of harley it hasn't left great repercussions either.
    Last edited by ssupes; 06-23-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Yeah, Diana and Clark liked each other right off, I don't see anything wrong with that. I don't remember when Shazam thirsted after her but I don't see the problem there either. As stated he's a boy, why wouldn't he notice a beautiful woman and not be entirely mature about it? He's not mature yet. The Hal "dibs" think was a rather lame way to note "OMG everyone knows she's hot", I'll grant that one. Outside of those instances though, it wasn't an issue with the rest of the team. You had Superman of whom there was a mutual attraction, then you had the rest: Batman never lusted after her, neither did Arthur, neither did Barry, and neither did Cyborg.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Just because they had disagreements doesn't mean Diana didn't consider her a sister. And they had nice moments too, in the "Terror Beyond" episode for example. And even in "Fury" they worked together just fine despite Hawkgirl's unfavorable views on the Amazons.
    You very well may be right. It's been years since I watched either episode, so I can't comment on that too much, but I don't think the show gives us enough to say they had a sister-like relationship. Can't rule it out, but not a lot to rule it in, either.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

I echo the sentiments of those who praise Susan Eisenberg’s work as her VA. I tend to measure other WW va’s to her, and if they ever decide to give her an animated series, I hope they’ll pick her.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I don’t see that as a problem.

I’m far more satisfied with a telling that portrays the Amazons as a nation of women, so brave and skilled, that conceivably any of them could have a chance to be Wonder Woman.
    You don't need a contest for that as we've seen with Donna, Artemis and Nubia.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You don't need a contest for that as we've seen with Donna, Artemis and Nubia.
    How could you demonstrate that in WW’s origin story?

Astonishing Member

I’m still surprised this version is apparently a point of contention amongst fans. I think this is best version of the character for me, and Eisenberg’s voice is the one I hear when I read WW in the comics.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.