Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Default So,.. about Monet, Nicole, Claudette and Penance

Monet, Nicole, Claudette and Penance, the story of these 4 character was quite complicated.

Now I know the twins took over Monet's body and powers and the real M was in the Penance form.
    Then later they switched sides and even more later the twins were no longer Penance, but all 4 were separate characters, including Penance.

So, that far I got. But,....

Did we ever found out, after none of the 3 St. Croix sisters being Penance anymore, who the 'real Penance' was after the sisters no longer were her?

Also, now we saw Monet recently being able to change to Penance and we also saw the twins on Krakoa as 2 small Penances.

So, somehow they can all take a Penance form, when the heck did that change happen but where the heck is the 'real Penance' and how is that character connected to the 3 St. Croix sisters?

Or is this still something that we never got explained?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

BANNED

I think they decided to just ignore Penance as a separate character.

she used the name "Hollow" when acting separate from them. But no, her backstory hasn't really been told.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    she used the name "Hollow" when acting separate from them. But no, her backstory hasn't really been told.
    Yvette from Yugoslavia!

It’s stuff like this that makes me doubt the creative genius of marvel writers. There was an easy fix. Penance had a backstory before everything went to hell.

Mighty Member

Hickman responded to this basically by saying its a story that needs to be told in regards to Monet but it wont be for free. But my thing is if Monet can do it because of tinkering after being reborn does that mean the twins were killed and brought back to life as well. What about that father? Does he miss his kids? Also could they "fix" Emplate . While his looks is interesting I would like to see him in his human form, why cant he turn into Emplate.

Make Hollow into the Yvette character.

One idea I had to "fix" the situation was reveal that Monet and all her siblings have mutant powers that access the Dream Dimension, the home of the Sleepwalkers.

Essentially, they really all have the power to make dreams and nightmares become reality -- so Marius is living a nightmare, while Monet is the embodiment of her standards of perfection. The twins dreamt of being Monet while she was trapped in her own nightmare, Penance/Hollow, which became so real that it now exists as an independent being.

That was the general idea, anyway.

-Pav, who figured it was no different than mutants with Darkforce Dimension powers...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Before Hickman said it was connected to Resurrections, I thought that the simplest explanation would have been that the sibling can merge with each and they retain some stuff after each merge. So, since Marius had still some of Penance inside of him, after their last encounter Monet kept the Penance DNA. The twins merged with Marius too so it works for them too. It' kind of easy and it lets Yvette be her own person too.

The magic side of it all... that's a mess.

As for the Twins powers, I'd let them have alternate versions of their sibling powers. I'd give Claudette portals and such which are similar to Marius space manipulation, and Nicole would keep telepathic powers like Monet.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    Hickman responded to this basically by saying its a story that needs to be told in regards to Monet but it wont be for free. But my thing is if Monet can do it because of tinkering after being reborn does that mean the twins were killed and brought back to life as well. What about that father? Does he miss his kids? Also could they "fix" Emplate . While his looks is interesting I would like to see him in his human form, why cant he turn into Emplate.
    Yeah I look forward to them fixing Marius. He was really a victim of his powers and they should be able to help him like they helped Proteus.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    One idea I had to "fix" the situation was reveal that Monet and all her siblings have mutant powers that access the Dream Dimension, the home of the Sleepwalkers.

Essentially, they really all have the power to make dreams and nightmares become reality -- so Marius is living a nightmare, while Monet is the embodiment of her standards of perfection. The twins dreamt of being Monet while she was trapped in her own nightmare, Penance/Hollow, which became so real that it now exists as an independent being.

That was the general idea, anyway.

-Pav, who figured it was no different than mutants with Darkforce Dimension powers...
    This is a really nice idea! To avoid have them go into dangerous reality warping stuff, maybe they could be like Sapna so once their mutation manifested their powers stabilized around that.

Extraordinary Member

Did we ever find out what happened to Mrs. St. Croix.

I think we know Emplate did something to her but did we ever see the body?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Before Hickman said it was connected to Resurrections, I thought that the simplest explanation would have been that the sibling can merge with each and they retain some stuff after each merge. So, since Marius had still some of Penance inside of him, after their last encounter Monet kept the Penance DNA. The twins merged with Marius too so it works for them too. It' kind of easy and it lets Yvette be her own person too.

The magic side of it all... that's a mess.

As for the Twins powers, I'd let them have alternate versions of their sibling powers. I'd give Claudette portals and such which are similar to Marius space manipulation, and Nicole would keep telepathic powers like Monet.

Yeah I look forward to them fixing Marius. He was really a victim of his powers and they should be able to help him like they helped Proteus.

This is a really nice idea! To avoid have them go into dangerous reality warping stuff, maybe they could be like Sapna so once their mutation manifested their powers stabilized around that.
    Claudette being a space manipulator would work for me not just making portals or teleporting but bending and folding space would be neat. We have time manipulators but not one that really does space, Bink cuts it but thats about it. Nicole being high end telepath, uch more powerful than Monet would be interesting. I would also give her High end empathy to make her a bit different and she could maybe have some unique feats when combining telepathy and empathy.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Yvette from Yugoslavia!
    Yeah. That's what I'd go with. I mean, that was what was on the Penance trading cards back in the day.

Fantastic Member

I think the connection to some other dimension is interesting especially if they can show that this dimension is the one that Marius went to and where he was tortured to the point of needing a respirator. What if those beings could cross over to earth. Maybe its the darkforce dimension or like someone mentioned the dream/nightmare dimension somewhat like Tildie Soames or even some part of the astral plane. If they really want to play into the magical thing (which for the record I hope they dont, I really hate mixing magic in with the Xmen) they could play it that somehow their mother was a sorceress and the children were born at a price or even conjured into existence.

Now if we could go with another explanation besides tge lazy magic one maybe we could pull from tge AOA universe. The St.Croix children could have been an early attempt at breeding pens technology. So say the mother was a mutant maybe experimented on or whatever but either her eggs were experimented on or her dna was used breeding pen style or she had trouble having children and Cartier turned to "different" means via science. Except we see what hapoened to Marius, then the twins and Monet are all flawed in someway. I dont know its just the begins of an idea but personally I like the science experimentation explanation better than magic

As far as the Monet and Penance. I like the idea of maybe Penance being a death mute from Yugoslavia. Maybe Marius discovers her and traps his sister in her body
    Last edited by GodfatherIV; 06-22-2020 at 03:31 PM.