Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Freedom Fighters

I’ve acquired the recent Freedom Fighters TPBs. All have been fun reads.

DC, can you please give us another trade of the original Freedom Fighters run? Include their JLA/JSA kickoff, their series and include the story that pencil art only (printed elsewhere)?

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    DC, can you please give us another trade of the original Freedom Fighters run? Include their JLA/JSA kickoff, their series and include the story that pencil art only (printed elsewhere)?
    Yes, I would love that! But please include their WW 2-part story as well!

So, you'd be talking about:
    * Justice League of America #107-108 (1973)
    * Freedom Fighters #1-15 (1976-1978)
    * what was intended as Secret Society of Super-Villains #16-17, but instead wound up in Cancelled Comic Cavalcade #2 (Fall 1978)

By the way, those two stories from Cancelled Comic Cavalcade #2 were supposedly included in the 2012 tpb collection of The Secret Society of Super-Villains Volume 2.

You might also want to include DC Comics Presents #62 (October 1983) where they meet up with Superman.

If you also wanted to include their appearances from All-Star Squadron you could, but that re-writes there story so that they start out as heroes on Earth-2.

Astonishing Member

I love the unofficial crossover with Marvel's Invaders. I think Marvel's take on the Freedom Fighters showed more originality (DC's homage to the Invaders was very obvious), but that was my favorite story in the run. I dropped it shortly after they became wanted criminals -- didn't like that angle. But I'd be up for a collection of that run.

I'd actually love a TPB of the complete 70's series. I have quite a few holes in it, and would love to read it in one sitting.

Peace

Incredible Member

I don't think that it is quite fair to compare the Invaders and the Freedom Fighters. I loved the Invaders, one of the few
    Marvel books that can be said by me. But Freedom Fighters just didn't have a long enough run to compare the two.

What I think made the Freedom Fighters unique was that unlike placing a group in World War II, where we know the Allies
    will win, it was different in that the Axis triumphs this time. Their role thus becomes not just a hero group, but a focus of resistance.
    The Freedom Fighters brief book where they are set in the modern era didn't seem to work very well.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    I don't think that it is quite fair to compare the Invaders and the Freedom Fighters. I loved the Invaders, one of the few Marvel books that can be said by me. But Freedom Fighters just didn't have a long enough run to compare the two.
    Uh, I'm not sure you understood what kcekada was talking about when he said:
    Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I love the unofficial crossover with Marvel's Invaders. I think Marvel's take on the Freedom Fighters showed more originality (DC's homage to the Invaders was very obvious), but that was my favorite story in the run. I dropped it shortly after they became wanted criminals -- didn't like that angle. But I'd be up for a collection of that run.
    For anybody who wasn't around back then in 1977, Marvel's Invaders #14-15 featured the Invaders meeting a new group of heroes who went by the name "The Crusaders".

Shortly after that, in DC's Freedom Fighters #8-9, the FF also encounter a group of heroes called "The Crusaders".

This was not mere coincidence. This was actually desugned so that each set of "The Crusaders" was made up of members that were similar to the groups from the other publishers.

The above comparisons taken from the Comic Coverage website:

Agreed, one of my favorite mini series to come out in recent years! Eddy Barrows art is so good!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Uh, I'm not sure you understood what kcekada was talking about when he said:For anybody who wasn't around back then in 1977, Marvel's Invaders #14-15 featured the Invaders meeting a new group of heroes who went by the name "The Crusaders".

Shortly after that, in DC's Freedom Fighters #8-9, the FF also encounter a group of heroes called "The Crusaders".

This was not mere coincidence. This was actually desugned so that each set of "The Crusaders" was made up of members that were similar to the groups from the other publishers.

The above comparisons taken from the Comic Coverage website:
    Haha that’s awesome. DC and Marvel had a few unofficial crossovers back in the 70s.

from Who's Who -- The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. VIII (October 1985)

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Haha that’s awesome. DC and Marvel had a few unofficial crossovers back in the 70s.
    There was a lot of fun in that
    84b5d-a69_squadronsinister.jpg
    jla87-who.jpg

In my head canon, all the Marvel and DC stories set in Rutland, Vermont's Halloween celebration happened in a nexus so both companies characters were visiting the same place. Tom Fagen dressed for the visitors that he sensed were coming.

I really enjoyed Palmiotti and Gray's Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters. I felt it was a great update of the classic characters. I especially loved the new Black Condor.

I really enjoyed Palmiotti and Gray's Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters. I felt it was a great update of the classic characters. I especially loved the new Black Condor.

But, unfortunately, DC unceremoniously killed off several of the second group called "Freedom Fighters" in a gratuitous way (during Infinite Crisis) to make room for that batch.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But, unfortunately, DC unceremoniously killed off several of the second group called "Freedom Fighters" in a gratuitous way (during Infinite Crisis) to make room for that batch.
    Yeah, I liked the mini-series, but I also thought Ryan "Black Condor" Kendall and Dee "Phantom Lady" Tyler still had a lot of potential (not to mention Roy Lincoln, the original Human Bomb), and got the short end of the stick. Their deaths were not very dignified, to say the least. While I enjoyed the general idea of the mini-series, I didn'tg care much for the new versions of Phantom Lady, Firebrand and the Ray (well he was a bad guy that got his butt kicked by the previous Ray, so I'm fine with that). I did like the new Doll Man, the new Red Bee and the New Black Condor, though I'm of two minds on the design of the character. Sometimes I feel I like it, others I definitly hate it. As for the new Human Bomb, I think he's OK, but I've always had the idea of another DC character that would make a fine, and very different, new Human Bomb, with unrevealed ties to the original.

Peace

Astonishing Member

As much as I liked Acuna's art on that FF mini-series -- I didn't think his designs were the best -- with Black Condor being the sole exception. The designs in the Eddy Barrow's series weren't as outrageous, but they didn't improve on the original designs. Not saying they should still be dressed in their Golden Age costumes, but not ever comic book artist is a good designer (in fact, most are not).

I did like that first Palmiotti/Gray mini, but without Acuna, the second mini was a chore to read.