View Poll Results: Live Action Or Animation For Comic Book Adaptions?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Live-Action

10 30.30%
  • Animation

23 69.70%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I voted live action but I love both.

For every Infinity War, Endgame and Spider-Man 2, we have Mask of the Phantasm, Justice League Unlimited and X-Men TAS. Both mediums can adapt the comics right just as long as the creative force behind it is all in.

Does Manga count? A lot of anime adaptations very closely follow the manga, although if the manga is still running have a tendency to put filler in. Dragonball Z had a few and Fairy Tail as a more recent example (I haven't seen One Piece so I can't really comment on that).

There's also several anime series, including long-running ones like Ranma or City Hunter that never adapted the finales of their respective mangas, or some important story arcs.

Also OAVS which really just adapt a few chapters and that it's (The Alita OAV for example, which largely became the basis for the live action movie)

Granted, there are some anime that largely do their own thing apart from the manga as well.

Walking Dead's an interesting adaptation in while it generally adapts the main storylines, it did it's own thing in terms of what characters live and die or have relationships from the comics.

For example, Carol dies during the prison arc and is far from the badass one from the TV shows. Carl and Sophia live to the end and get married. There's no Daryl (although Daryl does have some similarities to comic Dwight). Almost all the 'heads' murdered by the Whisperers are different etc.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

While live-action can be awesome, if the adaptation requires it to be on a grand scale or complex, it becomes very hard to do. And while sometimes you can get a One Piece or Avengers, you can just as easily get Batman vs Superman theater version and what not. Which tends to happen more often.

Animation, is far easier to adapt, and more about finding the right voices. While the stigma attached to it is dying off, there is still the crowd that believes that animation is meant for kids. So, personally, I'm more for animation for most adaptations. Especially when things get off street level.

Walking Dead also sort of has the leisure of the zombies being the only supernatural element, and even then, many of the storylines are humans vs. humans in a post apocalyptic setting that's pretty easy to capture in live action.

Although it did sort of struggle a bit with scale in some of the towns, Woodbury and the Commonwealth seemed to just have that one street....

Although strangely the show struggled once with a obviously CG Deer of all things.

chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Animation usually does a better job, but the best live action is often amazing. I speak of the first Iron Man or Batman Begins.
    Watching television is not an activity.

This is a good question.

Usually, it would be live-action but that's more due to how animation projects tend to be compromised, in terms of budget and/ or audience.

Something like Across the Spider-Verse that uses animation to say something specific is worthwhile. But most animated projects don't approach that level.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Animation is the best way to adapt comics, in my opinion. I hold the belief that you're closer to Superman in animation than you are in live-action.

I'm going with the classic "It depends." Some things work better in animation than live action and vice versa. Then there's always the most important "it's all in the execution."