View Poll Results: Live Action Or Animation For Comic Book Adaptions?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Live-Action

10 30.30%
  • Animation

23 69.70%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Animated. It's closer to the comic medium where they thrive and where they were specifically created to live.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Boisterously Confused

No vote. It's really a matter of how well they depict the characters and tell the story for me.

Ultimate Member

Both. The technology isn't there yet, IMO, for a live-action Legion of Super-Heroes movie, for example, and, arguably, not really there yet for a Green Lantern movie. Plus the Young Justice cartoon has done some amazing work, and other cartoons like Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, or Big Hero 6, or the Incredibles, have also really sold me on animation remaining relevant as ever even in an age with live-action Avengers and Justice League movies.

I am going with live action. Something about live action movies that seems more real is appealing. Live action is not without its faults. Many live action movies due to shortage of budget, misdirection or studio formula can look animated.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

So far, I think the best X-Men was Evolution. But I haven't enjoyed any other Marvel but the live-action.

And the Green Lantern toon has been the only good GL, of course. DC live-action is mostly a steaming pile, imo.

So, maybe I lean more to the animated.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Both. The technology isn't there yet, IMO, for a live-action Legion of Super-Heroes movie, for example, and, arguably, not really there yet for a Green Lantern movie. Plus the Young Justice cartoon has done some amazing work, and other cartoons like Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, or Big Hero 6, or the Incredibles, have also really sold me on animation remaining relevant as ever even in an age with live-action Avengers and Justice League movies.
    I think the tech is here for sure to pull off green Lantern. Yea if you wait another 10years CGI might be indistinguishable from the practical. But Lion King Showed you can make scenes that look like your watching a national geographic doc. Thanos was more then convincing. The apes movies. Im surr the next avatar is gonna look insane. **** the technology wasn't the issue with the first Green Lantern. It was how they used it. Dumb CGI suit that glowed. But there was more then passable CGI in that movie and they could do way better today. Now a HBO Max TV show iono, the tech is here but you gotta spend the money. If WBs spends on theyre shows the same money the MCU is going too... then I can see them pulling it off. But yea CGI is only limited by time and money at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I think the tech is here for sure to pull off green Lantern. Yea if you wait another 10years CGI might be indistinguishable from the practical. But Lion King Showed you can make scenes that look like your watching a national geographic doc. Thanos was more then convincing. The apes movies. Im surr the next avatar is gonna look insane. **** the technology wasn't the issue with the first Green Lantern. It was how they used it. Dumb CGI suit that glowed. But there was more then passable CGI in that movie and they could do way better today. Now a HBO Max TV show iono, the tech is here but you gotta spend the money. If WBs spends on theyre shows the same money the MCU is going too... then I can see them pulling it off. But yea CGI is only limited by time and money at this point.
    While the suit looked bad, it wasn't the problem in GL. The writing, directing, acting...

Really enjoyed Into the Spiderverse, and had more fun with it than the live-action Spiderman Homecoming and Far Away From Home. So animation, though I enjoy both - animations have a better chance of being faithful to the source material, or keeping the right tone.

I'd love to see Batwoman animated properly, not a guest intro ensemble film, followed-up by a cameo with an off-screen spoilers:
    death.
    end of spoilers

And yet I feel she was treated better there than on her own live-action show - where they altered her backstory which weakened it,
    made the character and her father more childish, and are now tossing the character out of her own show to replace her with an OC that practically nobody wants (other than the showrunners).

See the petition: https://www.change.org/p/the-cw-keep...ne-as-batwoman
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 06-26-2020 at 05:18 PM.

Animation for sure. In my opinion Spiderverse is the best Spiderman movie to date, and the DC animated movies are for the most part excellent. I’ve gotten more enjoyment out of watching them than anything live action.

I don't have one.

Extraordinary Member

Getting back to this.
    Official(not fan made) Superhero live action vs animation.

I thought about this years ago and i still think this.
    Characters created originally for comics more so comic stories that go on for a long time or have a large universe like dc and marvel should be animated/cartoons/full cgi etc..more so then live action.
    Of course live action brings in way more of the money but in animation form it's closer to what they are from the comics then live action.

The heroes/villains are adapted much better in cartoon/cgi form then live action and much closer to the source material or has a better chance to be much closer to it, and you could do things in animated form more like the comics then live action on average.

For live action a original universe and original superheroes/villains would be better on average.
    Like buffy the vampire slayer,angel, meteor man or hancock etc..
    Plus way folks do not have complain as well about any source material being change or change that much etc...

Anyway i would prefer first my favorite superheroes to be animation then live action.
    If both could happen fine,i do enjoy both but i enjoy animation more when it comes to superheroes and more so if it's originally from comics and if had to chose which ones i want see first or only, it would be animation.
    Last edited by mace11; 03-14-2024 at 12:03 AM.

Boisterously Confused

I offer no vote. There have been some really great and some really awful adaptations in both.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Voted Animation. More hits than misses. Especially when you compare them to the live action counterparts.

I also find them more true to the comics and stories. I feel like the parties who make them actually do their homework.

I like both but lean towards who did it better for that thing.

I mean Justice League it will be animation everyday all day.

Avengers outside of EMH I'm going to watch the MCU. Especially for origin stories so it's unlikely I'd watch Ultimate Avengers from 2006 or Invincible Iron Man and Dr. Strange Sorcerer Supreme both from 2007 again. Though I have watched Next Avengers recently because it is something different and doesn't have a better live action option.

X-Men while there are a few gems with the movies like the Deadpool films, X2, Days of Future Past, Logan, and First-Class Animation has always topped the Fox Films.

& While I like the Raimi and Holland Films I'd still like Spider-Man the Animated Series and Spectacular Spider-Man more than any of the films.

Both have their pros and cons.
    My most favorite are mostly animated series, but I think it has more to do with it being TV series than with being animated. I enjoyed a lot of live-action TV as well. So, I would say that my preference is more for the story being an ongoing series than whether it's animated or live-action.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred