Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Timm said she was going to be killed by Solomon Grundy after he drags her off. Tucker wanted to bring her back, but Timm insisted on leaving her dead. But she was shown alive being lead away by the police at the end of the episode, which was the animation error. His quote is at the bottom of this DC animated wiki, though the link for the source seems to be old:

https://dcau.fandom.com/wiki/Cheetah

"It was a mistake — she was supposed to be dead — the implication being that Grundy '[pulled] a Lenny' on her.
    Well, my co-producer James Tucker kept saying we should bring her back, [and] I kept saying, 'No, she's dead, she has ceased to be, she is an ex-Cheetah,' and, lo and behold, someone pointed out that she was in the paddy wagon — all in one piece, apparently still breathing — at the end of "Injustice for All". D'oh!

So, James got his wish: she'll be back in Justice League Unlimited. Don't know how she got away from Grundy, though.
    "

I would think it would be believable for someone who regularly takes punches from Wonder Woman to be able to get away from Grundy, but they also missed the memo that she was a demigod archaeologist, not an animal gene splicer or whatever that nonsense was, so perhaps it's not surprising.
    Yeah, they really didn't seem to put much thought into including a major villain (and Wonder Woman's de-factor archnemesis) like Cheetah.

Sinestro by comparison got a much better treatment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Again, Superman had a lot of romantic teasing with Maxima, Roxy Rocket, Lashina, Lana Lang, Lois. It's not true.

In JL, Huntress fell for Question, Black Canary for Green Arrow.

I have no idea why people measure the support their beloved heroes have on a show based on who gets more action. That seems like a vicarious projection of anxiety. It literally doesn't matter because eventually Batman is going to end up as a bitter has-been living in an empty house with a dog for company.
    I think it's less a debate about how much action their heroes are getting and more a seeming attempt at one-upmanship when these significant women who are not associated with the Batman mythos still end up making out with Batman.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I can appreciate your feelings on this too. At the end of the day though, Justice League and JLU is the story of the entire team and group. It's not Wonder Woman The Animated Series, so it can only introduce certain parts and aspects of the character. The only question is if she got less or more than others. I don't think the show can be faulted for not being Wonder Woman The Animated Series, because that was never Timm's call to make. It was WB execs who made a call to greenlight shows.
    I agree that the show can't be faulted for not being Wonder Woman 24/7, but I think it's fair to criticize what we actually did get, or at least the execution. Like the examples we already mentioned, a two parter with the Amazons could have worked with flashbacks to her origin because rushing through it in the pilot didn't do any favors. Villainy Inc could have shown up in the basic plot of the "Fury" two parter instead of making up new villains. Cheetah or Circe could have gotten one WW-focused two parter since the Joker got one despite it not being a Batman show. People aren't gonna know who her supporting cast and rogues gallery is if they aren't being shown. They obviously can't get too much spotlight in a show like this, but every little bit of media representation can help (or create more problems). These decisions were in Timm's power to make.

Ultimately, I think the whole "rookie" angle should have been dropped and she should have been established as being a veteran hero. That way they don't have to rush through her origin and deal with it later in flashbacks/dialogue, she can have a history with her villains offscreen if need be, etc.

True but again that's usually because they don't work as adaptations in a new medium first and foremost. Like Tim Burton's Batman movies make a lot of changes to the characters but I like them first and foremost as movies. Sam Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy isn't especially or completely faithful to Spider-Man comics (nor in fact are the movies made by other directors that came after, including the MCU) but it's excellent as movies.
    Yes, but it's all ultimately in the eye of the beholder. Some of us just don't like this Diana as either a faithful adaptation or as a character in her own right. There are some who feel the same way about the Lynda Carter show or Jenkins/Gadot version. It's kind of inevitable.

Niffleheim

Why don't the other DCAU shows get as much praise as Batman: The Animated Series

Batman is DC while other IPs are just occupying space.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Why don't the other DCAU shows get as much praise as Batman: The Animated Series

Batman is DC while other IPs are just occupying space.
    That doesn't make much sense at all.

JL/JLU was my first introduction to the DCU beyond Superman and Batman, I loved it as a kid, still like it a lot. But the way they used some characters don't sit right with me now, for years I thought Hawkman was the worst character ever, but when I started reading comics he became one of my favorites, for years I avoided reading anything with Hawkman but all it took was a look at the statue Ivan Reis design for me to give it a chance. What bothers me the most is that they didn't needed to use Carter at all, but they chose to use it in the worst way possible, is these kind of decisions that made lose some of the love I had for the JL/JLU.