Mighty Member

Default Aquagirl-Dolphin in Rebirth?

Hello,

are Aquagirl and Dolphin back in Rebirth?
    If yes, which Aquagirl is back (Tula or Lorena) and which power-set?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Hello,

are Aquagirl and Dolphin back in Rebirth?
    Yes to both.

Dolphin debuts in the "Underworld" arc. I highly recommend it, it's awesome! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F41QwXrFSSw

If yes, which Aquagirl is back (Tula or Lorena) and which power-set?
    Tula and standard Atlantean powers.

No sign of Lorena yet I'm afraid.
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 06-26-2020 at 05:06 AM.

Mighty Member

standart Atlantean powers means what?

I mean we have Tempest,Mera,Aquaman,Jackson with all different powers and Tula of Earth16 (YOUNG JUSTICE ANIME) was a magician.

But I think she is then the TULA of NEW52...Did they explain if she is still the step-sister of Arthur?

Astonishing Member

I mean we have Tempest,Mera,Aquaman,Jackson with all different powers and Tula of Earth16 (YOUNG JUSTICE ANIME) was a magician.

But I think she is then the TULA of NEW52...Did they explain if she is still the step-sister of Arthur?
    Tula is strong enough to withstand ocean pressure, can super swim fast and is an Atlantean noblewoman (rather than say, a homeless underwater ragamuffin, I see you there, Late Seventies ...) so has access to academic combat training and some level of "Atlantis is mythic so all these characters come into contact with mystical relics and high tech or magical weaponry". So "those" sorts of standard Atlantean powers. She's not a mage or anythin. She still appears to be Orm's sister and therefore Arthur's ... well, Arthur's brother's half-sister, so not his sister, but part of his extended family for sure. She hasn't had a scene with Orm in a long time. She's been living at Arthur's Lighthouse in Amnesty Bay taking care of Salty his golden retriever and learning about land-lovers from Maine.

Dolphin was homeless living in the Ninth Tride (the slums) but befriended Aquaman while he was exiled, presumed dead, Batmanning the hell out of the outer city limits. She, like many Atlanteans, is now experiencing more mutation - in this instance, she's got some green scaling and webbing going on in a way that's adorable and is also reminiscent of the Korvax curse of PAD's era. She is totally in character, mute, mysterious and helpful and kind. She's recently been taken in along with many other disaffected and typically mutated outer city residents by Ocean Master in his ... well Ocean Master is literally a fusion of Namor and Magneto, so his alternate take city. She's not married to Garth, they don't have a kid. But then again, neither of them are undead Black Lantern zombies anymore. They're alive and well.

Garth has the best costume, best art design and best characterization he has ever had nowadays. He's been seen pretty recently restoring the Senior Class Titans with Nightwing and others, being the "solid guy" of the group dynamic. He's absolutely still an undersea warlock and prejudiced purple-eyed idyllist of the lost city of Shayeris clan of Atlantis. He's currently dating Lilith Clay. He actually competes with Nightwing in like, your "who is the sexiest DC guy?" contests. I believe his specific most recent appearance is regrettably in Tom King's Heroes In Crisis. But it might be one of the only small moments I like in that series, because as a result of the bullshit that kept happening, Garth's answer was to get sh**-faced drunk and Donna is forced to hoist him over her shoulder and carry him out of the bar, which is comical enough to work well as a high concept for a single panel.

The Aquaman title features Mera in a co-protagonist role, Tula and Dolphin in recurrent supporting roles, and at some point will likely revisit Lorena Marquez and Sub Diego. So it's kind of doing stronger on the female cast and characters than almost every other DC book bar Wonder Woman. Batgirl sometimes does, sometimes doesn't, depending on what a writer wants to focus on. Batwoman is not currently ongoing. Where Aquaman diverges from them is that it also features a stoic almost to the point of a cowboy level slightly outsider dude as a lead character, whose brother is basically Namor/Magneto, whose sidekick is the son of his enemy, the world's first black super-villain, who is both gay and black. I'm saying Aquaman without broadcasting it is firing on a LOT of representation cylinders, while simultaneously effortlessly balancing being a great homage and mining of Silver Age and 90s canon concepts, as well as introducing a lot of "New" world-building, making it so Aquaman has a living parent or parents, and being consistently "Very Good" as a title since day one of Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis, right up to now.

Don't sleep on Aquaman.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Tula is strong enough to withstand ocean pressure, can super swim fast and is an Atlantean noblewoman (rather than say, a homeless underwater ragamuffin, I see you there, Late Seventies ...) so has access to academic combat training and some level of "Atlantis is mythic so all these characters come into contact with mystical relics and high tech or magical weaponry". So "those" sorts of standard Atlantean powers. She's not a mage or anythin. She still appears to be Orm's sister and therefore Arthur's ... well, Arthur's brother's half-sister, so not his sister, but part of his extended family for sure. She hasn't had a scene with Orm in a long time. She's been living at Arthur's Lighthouse in Amnesty Bay taking care of Salty his golden retriever and learning about land-lovers from Maine.

Dolphin was homeless living in the Ninth Tride (the slums) but befriended Aquaman while he was exiled, presumed dead, Batmanning the hell out of the outer city limits. She, like many Atlanteans, is now experiencing more mutation - in this instance, she's got some green scaling and webbing going on in a way that's adorable and is also reminiscent of the Korvax curse of PAD's era. She is totally in character, mute, mysterious and helpful and kind. She's recently been taken in along with many other disaffected and typically mutated outer city residents by Ocean Master in his ... well Ocean Master is literally a fusion of Namor and Magneto, so his alternate take city. She's not married to Garth, they don't have a kid. But then again, neither of them are undead Black Lantern zombies anymore. They're alive and well.

Garth has the best costume, best art design and best characterization he has ever had nowadays. He's been seen pretty recently restoring the Senior Class Titans with Nightwing and others, being the "solid guy" of the group dynamic. He's absolutely still an undersea warlock and prejudiced purple-eyed idyllist of the lost city of Shayeris clan of Atlantis. He's currently dating Lilith Clay. He actually competes with Nightwing in like, your "who is the sexiest DC guy?" contests. I believe his specific most recent appearance is regrettably in Tom King's Heroes In Crisis. But it might be one of the only small moments I like in that series, because as a result of the bullshit that kept happening, Garth's answer was to get sh**-faced drunk and Donna is forced to hoist him over her shoulder and carry him out of the bar, which is comical enough to work well as a high concept for a single panel.

The Aquaman title features Mera in a co-protagonist role, Tula and Dolphin in recurrent supporting roles, and at some point will likely revisit Lorena Marquez and Sub Diego. So it's kind of doing stronger on the female cast and characters than almost every other DC book bar Wonder Woman. Batgirl sometimes does, sometimes doesn't, depending on what a writer wants to focus on. Batwoman is not currently ongoing. Where Aquaman diverges from them is that it also features a stoic almost to the point of a cowboy level slightly outsider dude as a lead character, whose brother is basically Namor/Magneto, whose sidekick is the son of his enemy, the world's first black super-villain, who is both gay and black. I'm saying Aquaman without broadcasting it is firing on a LOT of representation cylinders, while simultaneously effortlessly balancing being a great homage and mining of Silver Age and 90s canon concepts, as well as introducing a lot of "New" world-building, making it so Aquaman has a living parent or parents, and being consistently "Very Good" as a title since day one of Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis, right up to now.

Don't sleep on Aquaman.
    Definently do not sleep on A-Guy!

I've been doing a big reread (I think my second one?) of New 52-Now and Tula has been a real stand out. Great character. A-Man and Mera are the gold standard of couples-in-comics and their supporting cast is equally wonderful. Tula, Dolphin, Murk, Garth, Jackson, Ericka, Vulko, Orm, Black Manta- the list goes on of strong characters.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-26-2020 at 09:31 AM.

Incredible Member

Enhanced human physicality (strength, speed etc) and adaptations for deep-sea survival (able to breath underwater, resistance to intense water pressure). All Atlanteans have those.

Exactly, those are all extra powers that regular Atlanteans do not possess. Mera and Jackson are aqua-kinetic because they're Xebellions, Aquaman has the unique power of aquatic telepathy because of his heritage. Tempest has magic powers because of innate ability and specific training.

She's Orm's sister if that's what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones

Don't sleep on Aquaman.
    Exactly. Well said.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Definently do not sleep on A-Guy!

I've been doing a big reread (I think my second one?) of New 52-Now and Tula has been a real stand out. Great character. A-Man and Mera are the gold standard of couples-in-comics and their supporting cast is equally wonderful. Tula, Dolphin, Murk, Garth, Jackson, Ericka, Vulko, Orm, Black Manta- the list goes on of strong characters.
    I just miss Lorena and Indigo
    Last edited by Will Evans; 06-27-2020 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post

Don't sleep on Aquaman.
    This sounds good to me!

BANNED

Rebirth ended long ago.