Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Question Rumor - The Sequel Trilogy To Be Retconned, Sort Of

I'm in no way a big fan of this guy. That said, his alledged sources did correctly predicted the plot of the Rise of Skywalker (with eerie accuracy) about a year before its release. If true, what are your opinions of this possible change to the Sequel Trilogy's canonical status? -

Last edited by Celgress; 06-23-2020 at 10:45 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'm in no way a big fan of this guy. That said, his alledged sources did correctly predicted the plot of the Rise of Skywalker (with eerie accuracy) about a year before its release. If true, what are your opinions of this possible change to the Sequel Trilogy's canonical status? -

I seriously, seriously doubt anything like this is happening. Each ST film made $1 Billion + in box office, even if they succumbed to serious diminishing returns as time went on and maybe had a negative impact on the rest of the franchise in total.

Having said that... I could see them looking over at Warner Bros.’s transition on the DCEU from trying to make one large cohesive continuity to trying for a more flexible and at times outright contradictory approach and perhaps entertaining creative proposals by artists that maybe request freedom from the exact events of the ST for spin-off material and stuff like Tv shows and cartoons; if say, Jon Favreau requested the right to have Baby Yoda dropped off with some Jedi students of Luke who were totally unaccounted for in the ST, I don’t think there’d me much incentive to deny that. And if someone at LFL wanted to do some alternate continuity stories adapting the more successful parts of Legends, like Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, I don’t see much reason to deny that either. And yeah, in my most narcissistic imaginings, I’d demand a “What If?” series retelling the events of TLJ and TROS where the change is “Rey is a Skywalker” and snowball a completely different story from there.

Still... I don’t see it happening.

Edit: Aslo, if I remember, this dude got a bunch of stuff wrong, and his correct material came out after the TROS plot was leaked by a different individual on reddit much earlier.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    ....Edit: Aslo, if I remember, this dude got a bunch of stuff wrong, and his correct material came out after the TROS plot was leaked by a different individual on reddit much earlier.
    I think you might be mixing him up with someone else (these films have many, many detractors on Youtube). I'm pretty sure his "predictions" proved mostly accurate, but I could be mistaken.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

More likely they'll try to have their cake and eat it, too. TROS implied Luke had adventures more like we'd have expected of him, hanging out with Lando looking for mystical Jedi and Sith artifacts. Fully expect to see him show up at some point in Mandalorian.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Move the series so far forward into the timeline that those shitty movies can be swept under the rug.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Personally I think the backlash to this might surprise people, certainly from the production team of those movies if nothing else. I suspect Rian Johnson would probably abandon his trilogy if he was given the choice to if this happened, for better or worse. I think the fallout from this would probably risk damaging Star Wars more than the sequels did unless handled very, very effectively.

That would be hilarious but i doubt it, it's just more simple to do as if it just didn't happen and continue later in the timeline or whatever than going all the way to uncannon things, pleasing a part of the fans sure enough but making an another part cry.

Just not worth the effort i think. I don't need Disney to tell me it's not canon anyway, no way in hell i would ever consider that farce as the official futur of our beloved heros.

iMan 42s

It's not all too often I find a presenter with their head that firmly up their own ass but here we are.

This isn't news.
    It's speculation from a youtube channel that from a brief search through their content is whiny fan wank about how much they hate the sequels and frankly Disney Star Wars. This is a "my uncle who works at Nintendo" kind of rumor. Nothing has come up so far regarding what Episode 10 will even be let alone what even movie is next. The only information out there is about the High Republic and The Mandolorian. Everything else is rumor or otherwise books and games. Nothing has come up and you better believe EW or Variety would be the ones to get the scoop on this and not a Youtube nobody has ever heard of.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

Disney hasn't retconned the prequels even if the anti-prequel online death squad were most vocal when The Force Awakens came out (they are less of an issue now).

So no they won't be retconning the ST just because it's reputation is at a low point now.

Maybe the pendulum will swing another way in the future, anger will cool, and people get over it.

Even stuff like Solo which is the only SW movie to be a box office bomb hasn't been retconned.

I am not a fan of the ST...and personally for me it's not canon. But then again, to me everything in Star Wars that isn't George Lucas made (i.e. OT and PT) isn't canon. That includes EU and other stuff Legends and so on, cartoons and TV...and even the ST. But if the idea is that the ST is retconned and then we get another kind of sequel to the OT and so on, that to me would still not be canon.

And besides in any case, people actually do like the characters of the ST (Rey, Kylo/Ben, Poe, Finn, Babu Frik, Maz Tanaka). They may not like how those character arcs ended but they do like those characters. So eventually Disney might revisit them at an older age.

The likely thing is that eventually Disney will remake the OT itself. That probably will happen sometime later, maybe a decade or so.

Extraordinary Member

Two decades at the least. And only after George is dead. And most of the OT major players are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The likely thing is that eventually Disney will remake the OT itself. That probably will happen sometime later, maybe a decade or so.
    And make a new hope a third time?

Could Disney be that lazy though?

Pff, who am i kidding? Of course they are.

Ben Affleck as Tarkin me says, just for the lolz.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    And make a new hope a third time?

Could Disney be that lazy though?

Pff, who am i kidding? Of course they are.

Ben Affleck as Tarkin me says, just for the lolz.
    I mean since so many issues are with the canon and timeline issues, eventually there will be the temptation to redo the OT but with benefit of hindsight so that everything flows better. Maybe redo it with Lucas' original plan of doing a 7 part movie which he had to contract because of logistics and retaining the cast. Since those will be less of an issue for Disney they can do it. You can remove the accidental incest-y thing between Luke and Leia that people still make a fuss about.

The main visual elements (Vader's outfit, C3P0, Chewbacca, Artoo) can be carried over and redone with little loss, you will just have to get new voice actors and new actors. Sebastian Stan was fancast as a potential young Luke right, obviously he'll be too old if and when they do it, but that suggests that there are people who want that.

Obviously the remakes will be compared, inevitably against the originals and found vaunting and Lucas has kept the OT and PT alive for audiences in a way that doesn't make them seem like "old movies".

So, basically another YouTuber who's salty that the sequel trilogy wasn't what they wanted it to be would rather hold onto a pipe dream that Disney will just sweep it under the rug then accept that they didn't like those specific movies and move on? I'm really, really over it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I remember plenty of calls for the prequels to be remade too.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I remember plenty of calls for the prequels to be remade too.
    Well the calls for the prequels to be remade were drowned by calls to strike it from the canon and pretend they didn't happen and so on.

And the ST for the most part did deliver. Those movies and all Disney that came after, is built on the idea that the OT is what counts even if PT was still canon.

My big issue with the Sequel Trilogy is that those three movies aesthetically regurgitate the look of the OT without any thought and concern. These movies are set 30 years after Return of the Jedi and yet the galaxy looks no different. Whereas Lucas in the prequels communicated and built an aesthetic that showed a world that looked totally different from how it would 20 years under Palpatine's regime.

The gauntless toss was for the Disneyistas to create a new aesthetic, better than the one Lucas did it in those two movies. Instead they regurgitate a static backdrop as a house style. That's part of the reason why the Disney stuff and the non-Lucas stuff aren't canon. They don't hve his imagination, his style, his intelligence, and his wit. Yeah, Lucas had all of that, and that was there in the visual sensibility of these movies.